Salmon eggs

Author
bcain
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2012/06/09 00:07:29 (permalink)

Salmon eggs

I have tried salmon eggs and have never caught anything on them. Do you use them in streams only or can they work in lakes too? Do you float them under a float or throw them out with some weight on the bottom? What are some techniques for using them?

4 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Salmon eggs 2012/06/12 11:22:27 (permalink)
    Cured singles work great under a float in the cricks and in the lake from shore. Sacks also work well the same way.  Floating egg sacks work in the lake well weighted down with a sinker as well as in the cricks but in slow deep pools.  With that being said I only use them during steelhead season. Never used them for any species of fish except for trout and steelhead. Not to say that it wouldnt work but ....

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re:Salmon eggs 2012/06/12 13:09:30 (permalink)
    Iv used them for trout gota set hook fast or youl miss em they come off easy iv caught gills on them I like maggots better they wont come off IMO

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:Salmon eggs 2012/06/12 13:34:35 (permalink)
    If you're talking about single eggs for steelhead, they're hard to beat for year-round consistency in the streams (don't have any experience with 'em in the lake).  They work in low, clear conditions to high fast conditions from September through March.  I prefer the cured single eggs you get at Poor Richards.

Proper presentation is the key: low and clear conditions - a size 18 or 20 hook, fluorocarbon leader, with very few and very small splitshot under a float or dead drifted.  More shot in faster, higher conditions, and you can go to a 14 or 16 hook.  Drifting works best, but I have also caught plenty of steelhead in low, clear conditions in slack water just letting it suspend in the pool under a small float.  Throw it out under a float and let it sit.  Never tried throwing them out on the bottom for steelhead.  

For trout in inland streams, they work the same.  Except don't use eggs from the Great Lakes unless you can get them certified VHS free.  Get a jar of Mike's eggs, pour out some of the liquid, and add a little kosher salt.  This will firm them up and help them stay on the hook longer.

Been many years since I've used salmon eggs in an inland lake for trout, but I used to use Pautzkes Balls of Fire pretty regularly.  
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re:Salmon eggs 2012/06/27 11:16:19 (permalink)
    regular jarred eggs will catch stockies in stream and lakes. both under a float, drifted or fished on the bottom. I do not use them that often, but sometimes they can really hit them. I always carry a jar as "back up" bait, but some guys use them religiously and do well. I would suggest any of the Mikes Atlas brands. I like the garlic and the shrimp.
    Pautkzee fires balls are another long time favorite. I like these on a float.
    Try the ham and eggs approach: One egg tipped with a waxworm or maggots. they like that on the bottom.
    Jump to: