doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/21 20:30:45 (permalink)

Sharing the Kettle with Friends

Sharing the Kettle with Friends
5/18/2012

Skip and Dano noticed my van along Kettle Creek. It didn't take long for them to find me casting dries with my 'Skip Built' custom made 4wt. I told them I would show them rising trout and as soon as they got into the water it didn't take long for them to find them. By now it was around 5:30pm I figure. It started out slow but as the evening progressed more mayflies and caddis filled the air and water. We fished the hatch into the night. There were different flies on the water so it was a challenge to find the right fly for the right fish. Dano got most of his takers on a Caddis. Skip used a March Brown and got a few risers. I switched off to a few different flies but a Brown Drake pattern took most of my bigger fish.

Dano is like an old time tracker. From the bank he studies the water and looks for risers to decide where he'll begin. As he enters the water his eyes are already searching for floating surface shucks, spinners or flies. I watched him kneel down along the creek bank scanning over the water surface for a better view of what’s happening on the water surface and just above for a new perspective. He gathers all this knowledge and picks the fly that most likely will succeed. He picks his angle and goes after the rising trout. I'd bet money on him that he would get the fish to rise to his first selection within minutes. I've seen him do it before and very seldom does he have to switch to more than his first selection to get the fish to rise for him.
I on the other hand, when no trout are rising, will cast blindly in selected areas and simply make them rise. 

After a morning of few catches in the FFO project waters I went down creek to my special place for rising trout. It’s a kind of inconspicuous area that many pass up. It doesn’t even look as if there would be many fish in the flat stretch of water but the fish are there and I’m patient enough to wait them out and make’em rise.

We all caught fish, or at least got some to rise to our flies, before Dano and Skip took off towards camp. I still had two more day of fishing and hung around Kettle Creek and Cross Fork Creek.

Here’s a few fish I caught on Friday. 

My searching pattern is a Woolly Bugger. I can cover more water in less time when exploring. Once I find a follower or a taker I slow down and change tactics.

By noon I was ready for the Gray Fox hatch. I drove down creek and wasn’t disappointed.
Only a few on my Gray Fox pattern:

Surprised to see my first taker was this big!!

Brook trout like’em also.

Around 4:30 Caddis were dancing on the water. This one danced a bit on the end of my line

Nearing 7:00pm Brown Drakes and a few other Drakes were in the sky and a few on the water. Here’s a few that fell to my Brown Drake Pattern. This first one eluded a hook set a few times earlier but I finally got him to rise again.

Brookie and the Brown Drake.

~doubletaper

post edited by doubletaper - 2012/05/21 21:04:12

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

2 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    Re:Sharing the Kettle with Friends 2012/05/21 21:01:11 (permalink)
    wow, it took me 25 minutes to get this story straight, re edited, and pictures in the right places. sorry, but i don't care for this time consuming new way of doing things.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    Re:Sharing the Kettle with Friends 2012/05/21 22:22:25 (permalink)
    Well worth the time to read it, though, DT.  Excellent as always.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Jump to: