Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/18 22:25:09 (permalink)

Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please

I need some help here guys. I have never used an electric fillet knife, but since I am getting much better at catching gills and crappie, I figured that it was time that I took that plunge. I know nothing about them. The knife that I need should be able to do steelhead, panfish, walleye, and catfish as these are the only fish that I eat. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Cordless would be cool, but maybe not necessary. Which brands should I look at and which ones should I avoid? If you've read this post and own an electric fillet knife, please take a moment and tell me something. Thank you.

10 Replies Related Threads

Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/18 22:38:05 (permalink)
    American angler is the best knife ive used so far.  Had used Mr. Twisters in the past but every one that i owned burnt up. Even the salt water series.  Been thru 6 of these knives.
    Rapala's are ok.  I keep 2 on my boat for backups and they do make a cordless although i have never used one.   I have a 12 volt American angler knife that i use to cut up perch and a 110v used at the dock to fillet walleye.  Both knives are going on there 3rd season without any problems.
    Good Luck
    RH

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    shortstrike
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 10:29:24 (permalink)
    I just started using an electric filet knife last year for perch. Wow, what a difference it made. I went from just over 2 minutes per fish with non electric to just under 1 minute with electric. That makes a huge difference when you're cleaning 90 perch. I have the Rapala and it works very well, although I did burn one up, so I'm on my second one. I have read good things about the American Angler electric and will be looking into one if i have to buy another one. I bought the 110v knife, I hate waiting for batteries to charge. Just think of cleaning a bucket full of fish, you're 1/3rd way done,on a roll, and battery dies. If you've never used one, it's easy for the knife to run-away on you till you get a feel for it, it only takes a few fish to get the feel for it. Look on Youtube for videos of people using them, some are helpful. Good Luck.
    post edited by shortstrike - 2012/05/19 10:31:39

Even a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 11:41:14 (permalink)
    Rough House

American angler is the best knife ive used so far.  Had used Mr. Twisters in the past but every one that i owned burnt up. Even the salt water series.  Been thru 6 of these knives.
    Rapala's are ok.  I keep 2 on my boat for backups and they do make a cordless although i have never used one.   I have a 12 volt American angler knife that i use to cut up perch and a 110v used at the dock to fillet walleye.  Both knives are going on there 3rd season without any problems.
    Good Luck
    RH

This is exactly the kind of help that I was hoping to get. Thank you very much. It's great that you have tried three of the top 5 brands and have found the best of the three. This is a great review and very helpful. I am assuming that you are a charter captain? Or at least that you fillet a lot more fish than the average fisherman. Thank you. Also, have you ever heard of "shark blades?" I saw an American Angler fillet knife with these strangely shaped blades and they look pretty wicked.

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 11:43:28 (permalink)
    shortstrike

I just started using an electric filet knife last year for perch. Wow, what a difference it made. I went from just over 2 minutes per fish with non electric to just under 1 minute with electric. That makes a huge difference when you're cleaning 90 perch. I have the Rapala and it works very well, although I did burn one up, so I'm on my second one. I have read good things about the American Angler electric and will be looking into one if i have to buy another one. I bought the 110v knife, I hate waiting for batteries to charge. Just think of cleaning a bucket full of fish, you're 1/3rd way done,on a roll, and battery dies. If you've never used one, it's easy for the knife to run-away on you till you get a feel for it, it only takes a few fish to get the feel for it. Look on Youtube for videos of people using them, some are helpful. Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply. So, if I understand your post, you are saying that your Rapala is decent but as soon as it dies you are going to buy an American Angler? Sounds good. Also, you have a point with the cordless angle. Do the cords get in the way? Have you ever heard of anyone cutting the cord by accident?
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 11:58:55 (permalink)
    Some American Angler fillet knives feature the Ginsu blades. Has anyone tried those? The shark blades?
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 12:30:08 (permalink)
    I have used a mister twister for about 5 years but i only fillet crappies and blue  gills and perch also the chord is not a problem for me and doesnt get in my way.
    shortstrike
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 15:35:11 (permalink)
    I havn't had a problem with the cord getting in the way at all. And yes, if I burn up another rapala I will try the American Angler next. I looked online for the for the American Angler and it cost about what I paid for my Rapala at Gander Mountain.

Even a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 17:49:21 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I've been using the Mr. Twister Piranha for about 6 years.  I fillet several hundred walleye and several hundred perch every summer and it's still going strong.  I burn through a set of blades every year, but the knife itself is a powerhouse.  I also had an American Angler MT3 (metal gear saltwater version), and although I liked how it cut (it was more the blades that I liked than the knife...the Piranha had more power), it died my second year I had it.  The AA MT3 has been discontinued I  believe. 

I just bought a sharpener that will sharpen the serrated blades...hopefully that will save me some $$$.

mote1977
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/19 20:51:02 (permalink)
    I prefer the American Angler also. Going on 5yrs with the one I have now and it's been thru alot of fish and still going strong. Get the shark blades. They are much better than the standard blades. 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Electric Fillet Knives... Advice Please 2012/05/20 22:21:21 (permalink)
    I have a rapala and a mr twister, both work well. My only complaint is the replacement blades for either of them aren't as sharp as the original set.

There was a great thread on this a year or so ago, try a search for it...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    Jump to: