yesterday

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/10 04:09:00 (permalink)

yesterday

Set up in three different places and got birds to gobble at all three. But none of them would come in. Gobblers and women treat me the same way. They'll talk to me but I cant seal the deal!

18 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 08:19:23 (permalink)
    LOL.

Had a good morning today before work. Was set up in the blind and filming. Had three toms at 75 yards on the roost. The eventually worked their way to 25 yards but were screened by the brush. I could see white heads and fans but nothing to shoot at with the bow.

Had to sneak out in stealth mode at 7:15 to head to work. They were still gobbling as I walked out. ;-((

My rifle is a black rifle
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 14:42:39 (permalink)
    My oldest son is in from his duty station in California until next Monday morning, so we have been hitting it hard since Tuesday. Tuesday it poured rain and we never heard a bird. Yesterday we put over eight miles on the mountain bikes as we went trolling for a gobbler willing to play the game and the only thing we called in was a hen. We never heard a gobble until we were back to where we had the truck in sight at about 1130 and couldn’t get him to come in. Probably would not come in because we could also hear hens calling back to us from his location.

This morning we trolled for over nine miles on the bikes and never heard a bird. Then at 10:30 it started raining and we decided to call it quits for the day. Of course we still got pretty wet in the two miles we had to ride in the rain just to get back to the truck.

R.S. Bodenhorn

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 15:06:56 (permalink)
    Gobbling is down about 60% according to my records in the areas I hunt compared to last year. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 15:52:49 (permalink)
    Another strike by the grey wolves!!!!They love turkey...WF
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 16:03:10 (permalink)
    Lets reintroduce some more predators, maybe that well help.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 17:58:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Lets reintroduce some more predators, maybe that well help.

How many times have you found evidence of a predator killing an adult turkey? In all of my years I have only ever found about two great-horned owl kills. I have found a few bobcat kills during the winter and one bobcat killed gobbler in the spring. I have only ever seen found a couple coyote kills.

I once watched a red fox trying to pick off some poults but the hen had him picked out, put the poults down then started to approach the fox. I do not know how that would have turned out if left to play out though because the fox left once he realized I was there.

They are discovering that hens are pretty susceptible to predation while nesting though. In this area of the state it seems that most of those are from hawks and bobcat though. 

None of those were introduced species though, so where are you coming up with the perception of introduced predators being a problem for turkeys?

Besides the gobblers were out there two weeks ago and since I have not seen where there have been any predator, besides man, kills this spring I have to suspect the birds are still out there, just not being vocal right now.

R.S. Bodenhorn

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 20:14:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

Gobbling is down about 60% according to my records in the areas I hunt compared to last year. 

I blame bigfoot!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 20:49:56 (permalink)
    None of those were introduced species though, so where are you coming up with the perception of introduced predators being a problem for turkeys?

Besides the gobblers were out there two weeks ago and since I have not seen where there have been any predator, besides man, kills this spring I have to suspect the birds are still out there, just not being vocal right now.

R.S. Bodenhorn

The Fisher, which is considered the most efficient predator of small game and ground nesting birds was introduced by the PGC. It is recommended by many states biologists to be introducd when you want to control small game populations. How many nests, nesting hens and poults do you suppose they take care of in a years time.

As for all those turkeys out there, you really should keep up on what your experts are saying about their numbers. They are predicting a 15-25% DECREASE in the harvest. This on top of a 30%+ decrease in the last ten years. There does seems to be more turkies the further south in the state you go.

There was a reason our ancesters hammered the raptors and predators in the early days. They didn't need any multi year studies to know they couldn't compete with predators who hunt 24/7/365 with no limit.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 21:20:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

R.S. Bodenhorn

The Fisher, which is considered the most efficient predator of small game and ground nesting birds was introduced by the PGC. It is recommended by many states biologists to be introducd when you want to control small game populations. How many nests, nesting hens and poults do you suppose they take care of in a years time.

As for all those turkeys out there, you really should keep up on what your experts are saying about their numbers. They are predicting a 15-25% DECREASE in the harvest. This on top of a 30%+ decrease in the last ten years. There does seems to be more turkies the further south in the state you go.

There was a reason our ancesters hammered the raptors and predators in the early days. They didn't need any multi year studies to know they couldn't compete with predators who hunt 24/7/365 with no limit.

Fisher in this state seem to be eating mostly red squirrels, cavity nesting birds and mammals including young raccoons. Since raccoons are one of the leading predators on ground nests such as turkey and grouse it could be argued that the fisher does more to save turkey nest than harm them, but that isn’t even a real issue.

The fact is predation is NEVER a concern where you have suitable habitat for the prey species.

Besides as far as predation of turkey nests that is actually a benefit to the species. What harms turkey populations is extended periods of cold, wet weather. That is especially true when you get a couple cold, wet springs in a row.

Without nest predation pretty much all of the eggs would be hatching at the same time. Then if you got a couple weeks of harsh weather you could lose an entire year of turkey and grouse production. But, since we do have nest predation and the fact that turkeys and too a lesser extent grouse will keep building new nests for months if need be, it breaks up the nesting cycle over several months. That is nature’s way of assuring that when you have a period of bad weather you only lose a small percentage of the year’s reproduction cycle. Therefore, predation is actually a benefit to the prey species.

Our ancestors killed the predators because they didn’t know any better. There have been many studies that prove that it is the prey species that control the number of predators instead of it being the other way around.

Man is supposed to be both smarter and more in touch with the REALITIES of how nature REALLY works now than they were in those days of killing any and all the predators they saw.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    post edited by RSB - 2012/05/10 21:21:06
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/10 21:46:00 (permalink)
    What a crock of s--t but what else would one expect from you. We lost 75% of turkey nests in any given year BEFORE the introduction of the Fisher. We don't need to lose any more to spread out the nesting season. Our ancestors were not dumb enough to introduce a top predator and then do a multi year study to see why it's prey numbers were diminishing.

Predation is ALWAYS an issue and most states admit it and try to prevent it. Your enviromentalists friends re-introduction of wolves out west is a prime example. Were not all impressionable youngesters that you can bull--it like you did in the schools.

From a on line encyclodepia

With its speed and agility, the fisher is a remarkable predator that captures a wide diversity of prey: Rabbits, hares, squirrels, mice, grouse, and so forth. Even the well-protected porcupine is captured by the fisher, using a unique technique designed to tire the porcupine until the fisher can kill the large quilled rodent. Ecologically, such a role as a top predator makes the fisher an important component of ecosystems in that it helps to control the population of prey species

Imagine that ---there is that Eco-System Management again. Not enough game for the hunters and other predators--- we just cut out the hunters----EXAMPLE= Already REDUCED fall turkey season in 10 of the WMU's to make up for the DECREASE in the turkey population. Just happens to concide with the introduction of (guess what animal.) Lets do another study----Oh, that's right , we already are.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/11 08:10:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

Another strike by the grey wolves!!!!They love turkey...WF

They say it tastes like chicken.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/11 16:10:42 (permalink)
    Dars, what exactly are we talkin about????...WF
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/11 16:15:21 (permalink)
    Grey Wolves taste like chicken you didnt know that WF?
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/11 17:34:08 (permalink)
    I've heard of other things that taste like chicken also....WF
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/12 02:42:09 (permalink)
    Possom does sorta kinda

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/12 10:12:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

Dars, what exactly are we talkin about????...WF

Grey wolves say turkey tastes like chicken.

Every one knows that grey wolves taste more like turkey.

Which, of course, tastes like chicken.

At least according to the grey wolves.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/12 11:56:14 (permalink)

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: yesterday 2012/05/12 18:50:30 (permalink)
    Dars, my mind took a completly different track.....WF
    Jump to: