Orvis Access

Author
Indyflier
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/01 11:46:13 (permalink)

Orvis Access

I am looking to expand my collection of fly rods from one (an Orvis Clearwater II, 9ft, 7wt) to two. I am looking for a 5wt, 8.5ft, to use for trout and small mouth. i would like to use it to cast dry flies. My skill level leaves alot to be desired, but I am working at it. A local fly shop in Erie recommended the Orvis Access rod. Its pricey ($350), which if its really that much better than some of the more economical rods, and it casts better, the investment is worth it to me. I thought I would ask the forum members, though, if they had any thoughts on it. I looked for rods on the fishusa site but without much experience in casting/fishing diffferent rods, I don't know what I am looking at. Any insights are appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

auriemma
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Orvis Access 2012/05/01 12:36:29 (permalink)
    Hi, this is my first post here and I have been Freshwater FF for only a year, so take my comments as you will.

First, Orvis makes some great rods (so do Sage, St. Croix, G.Loomis, Fenwick, and many others). That is no lie.  But the question is, is the Orvis Access the rod that suits you?  For the most part, I fish for trout with either a 3 or 4 wt. (my preference).  The length depends on the conditions of where you fish.  If there are lots of trees and bushes, a shorter rod may be better.  If its open space with room to back cast, longer would do.  But if your fishing hole is only 30 ft wide, do you need a 8.5 ft rod?  Do you like mid flex or tip flex, how stiff?  All this and more should be considered. 

After all that is considered, I have found that when I am spending good money on a rod, trying them out is the best way.  Go to a fly shop that has rods in stock and try them.  You will quickly determine what you like and dislike.  From there, you can make a better decision on what you want to buy.

Once you know what you are after, then look around.  That includes brick and mortar stores, online, and your local Craigslist (you would be amazed what great gear is selling cheap).

Happy hunting.
    post edited by auriemma - 2012/05/01 12:39:04

--- Joe ---
    It's called "Fishing" for a reason.
    If it were easy, it would be called "Catching".
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Orvis Access 2012/05/01 20:02:10 (permalink)
    i would not buy a rod like that blind. as said, you need to cast them to see how they fit your stlye of casting. as for the access, i did not like it as much as a lot of other rods, not that it's not a good rod, it just did not work well for me. check out some st croix rods. they have a rod that would suit your style and price range, i have 2 flyrods and 4 spinning rods.. TFO rods are good rods too, i have 3. redington makes good mid level rods. if you go to a shop they will let you try the rods and you may also get a casting lesson out of it too
    Indyflier
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Orvis Access 2012/05/02 04:31:17 (permalink)
    I really appreciate your insights. I hadn't thought about asking to test-drive the different rods. Thanks again.
    auriemma
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Orvis Access 2012/05/03 07:47:34 (permalink)
    With an Orvis shop (as with all good fly shops), they will take you, a rod and a properly matched reel outside, and let you cast it and as many as you need to make a proper decision.  Who knows, you may get a private casting lesson out of it as well.

--- Joe ---
    It's called "Fishing" for a reason.
    If it were easy, it would be called "Catching".
    Jump to: