Return of The Duke

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/23 00:10:05 (permalink)

Return of The Duke

Having missed out on fishing "The Opener" with The Duke, I was looking forward to getting out this weekend and hitting some out of the way, off the beaten path type-stuff with him this weekend.

Woke up to cold, miserable, just plain lousy conditions. We agreed up front: "It's raining, and we're going to get wet. No complaining about the weather." I think we both wished we'd thought that through a little better, but it didn't take long to get the blood pumping with some hearty and energetic troots:

The Duke at Work...

Common Fare UFA Hero Pic. The boys next door can bite me. I'm throwing it up:

This one caught me by surprise...I was targeting a completely different fish when this one darted from under th bank, and crushed my fly. Prettiest fish of the weekend, IMO.

Second Day, we made it interesting...$1 a fish for me, $2 for him.

He could be a UFA photographer on spec.

The Duke's 9' 5wt was giving him headaches in the skinny water...so I gave him my 7'6 4wt glass rod to use. Made the difference...he had some really nice hookups today.

Now, DarDys, before you get carried away, his lack of UFA attire is on me. We nearly forgot he needed a license, and it was the last thing we did before we left. And apparently, my extra license holder was commandeered by Ten Bears. Nobody crawfishes on Ten Bears, so his backtag holder would have to do.

And he's still growing, so he's not ready to be fitted for his tweed.

Not his first fish...just keeping the books straight.

Another money maker for The Duke.

And dig the UFA nose-in-the-air pose. Gentlemen, I think he's going to be fine:

The weather couldn't dampen our spirits. Great Father-Son time. Can't wait to do it again.

On the way home, we stopped at another stream. Found a pile of feesh, but they weren't biting.

Except for one. This one's for DT and Cold...I managed to "Make 'im Rise."

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

4 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Return of The Duke 2012/04/23 07:13:40 (permalink)
    Looks like an awesome day for father and son.
    Well done , Dad.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Return of The Duke 2012/04/23 07:21:11 (permalink)
    No sweat on the attire, there are exceptions for rain, you know.  We are ubersnobs, but not completely unreasonable.  Besides, the throwback glass trumps the hunting license holder.

Great job by father and son alike.

Keep it up.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Return of The Duke 2012/04/23 23:16:32 (permalink)
    looks like you guys had lots of fun. i just got back from NC fishing and camping with my 2 youngest boys (young men.) we had a great time also. father and son time is always great!
    (we were drinking micro brews, smoking stogies and sharing a bottle of jim beam black around a campfire and birthday pie also)

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Return of The Duke 2012/04/23 23:39:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper
    father and son time is always great!

(we were drinking micro brews, smoking stogies and sharing a bottle of jim beam black around a campfire and birthday pie also)

That's the stuff right there. Welcome back.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Jump to: