Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
malice6372
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/19 14:11:21 (permalink)

For your safety

My biggest fear is anything parisitic. Ticks, leeches, etc. That being said, I would like to share a story.

Saturday, I fished the Gravel Pit in Fairview. Lots of people on the lazy-man side, so I went to the opposite shore. Caught a few, went home to watch the pens beat the devils. Sitting on the couch, watching the game, feel something on my arm. Lo and behold, big old nasty black-legged tick (formerly known as a deer tick)! The only thing keeping me from running screaming from my house was the fact that if I didn't take care of it, it would have probably ended up on my son. So, I calmly (yeah right) flushed it down the turlet.

This is the first time I have ever had a tick on me in 33 years of living in this area. Here is a link of common ticks in our area, prevention and other info. Especially if you take your kids fishing (or plan to like me), please take a look at it and take precautions, as they are going to be bad this year because of the mild winter.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pdf/ticks.pdf

Take care out there and tight lines!

42 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/19 16:03:18 (permalink)
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/19 17:14:06 (permalink)
    This is the first time I have ever had a tick on me in 33 years of living in this area.

You've been lucky in 33 years if you spend much time in the outdoors. I get at least one on me every time out spring gobbler hunting, several during deer season, and have already had 2 on me this year just from cleaning up stuff around my yard. It's to the point now where I thoroughly check myself every evening after being outdoors, even when just doing yard work around the house.

FYI - If you do get a tick that has attached itself, the best thing you can do is grab it as close to the head as possible and pull it straight out. If the head breaks off and stays under your skin it shouldn't cause any problems and will just be absorbed.

It's an old wives tale to put soap, a match, or anything toxic on the tick to get it to come out. That will just make it sick, and it will basically throw-up in the bite wound which is exactly what you don't want. Also, never grab one by the middle of the body and squeeze. All of the bacteria including lymes disease in deer ticks, are found in the ticks stomach.

post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/03/19 17:16:18
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/19 17:41:26 (permalink)
    I was absolutely covered in the little bastids after an hour walk last Saturday morning.  Even after a thorough check, I still managed to have 2 embedded in me.  I had never even seen a tick until about 3 years ago in my neck of the woods  

Time to get some permethrin...
    jbrian96
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/19 20:31:44 (permalink)
    Crap, I'll have to check myself.  I was just on that side of the Gravel Pits the other day.  I've never had a tick before either.
    Abear
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/19 22:10:12 (permalink)
    Ticks have been really bad the last few years and only seem to be getting worse. Year before last I took the dog with me out mushroom hunting. The next day I left for work for a week in NY, when I came back my dog looked like he had eyebrows. He had 38 ticks on his head alone! I stopped counting after 60 on his body. He is only a 35lb dog. Called the vet they recommended pulling them then placing a small drop of antibiotic cream on the bites. He was a mess I felt so bad for him. Needless to say he has limes disease now (200$+ for vet visits and antibiotics later). So yep check yourself and your pets often. Nasty little bugs. I have found for the dog a good brushing when we get home seams to work to knock most of them off. I still wonder how many he would have had stuck in him if I didn't use the anti-tick stuff on him.
    NeFiShNeTiMe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/20 00:13:04 (permalink)
    Holey crap that's a ton of ticks! Ya got me itching now....

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/20 05:45:55 (permalink)
    Your making me itch! Also get a mechanics mirror to check around your butt. They like that area.

LaughingFish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 08:38:09 (permalink)
    I'm orginally from the great white north of Minnesota where the tick (wood and otherwise) is our state mascot. I've had more ticks on me that I know what to do with. Here are some things I've learned:

* you can't drown a tick by putting it in a toilet
    * you CAN drown a tick by putting it in a pill bottle with some liquid dish soap (also makes a nice decorative piece)
    * I've never once had a tick's head pop off - I don't understand why the experts always say to be careful for that
    * ripping its little head off will kill a tick every time
    * chopping a tick in half with your pocket knife will also do the trick
    * ticks make the most wonderfull popping sound when you put them on a hot stove - also a sure fire way of taking care of them

Coincidentally my one claim to fame is that I had the first fully treatable case of Lymes disease in Minnesota. Worst case scenario anymore is that you get bit, you watch the bite, if it gets a red target around it you go to the doctor and they give you drugs. Then you're TA Da all better.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 09:11:22 (permalink)
    when i got back from potter county fishing sunday i found a tick embedded in my neck. after home surgery i went to the ER to make sure i got it completely out. i was the 6th person in the ER that day with a tick bite. the ER doc didn't like my home surgical tools, hemostats and a needle, so i got a tetanus shot and an antibiotic. he did say that i did get the complete tick out and i didn't need stitches
    post edited by doubletaper - 2012/03/21 09:27:06

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 09:23:30 (permalink)

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 10:33:53 (permalink)
    The ticks have been utterly outrageous in Westmoreland County this year.

I was hunting in Maysville for squirrel this October and left the woods with about 40 ticks on me. Picked at least 15-20 out all season. Never had a tick on me before in my life until this year.

First day of buck season was the most miserable, it was wet and humid in the woods, and while I was sitting there it was like an army of them crawling up my pant legs. I got the permetherine spray from Tractor Supply and they have been a little less aggravating

I am betting that this year the ticks will be horrible given this warm winter we have had. Even on the snowy days of 2B I still got a few on me. Check yourself regularly.
    fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 10:41:29 (permalink)
    I think I posted this on a thred about ticks last year... but when I was in the Marine Corps we used to get ticks all over us when we went to the field, and I mean ALL over us!
    Until one of my sargents told us to tear the heads off of the matches that came in our MRE and swallow them like a Tylenol. I gave it a try and from that point on (as long as I swallowed one book a match heads every day we were in the field) I never had a tick imbed in me again. I guess the sulfer from the matches gets into your system and the ticks can't stand it.

Now I don't know how good for you eating match heads is, but it never made me sick. And my feeling is it's better than Lymes disease.
    SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 12:41:30 (permalink)
    SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 12:47:37 (permalink)
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 13:33:13 (permalink)
    this thread is horrible. it makes me want to sit at home and eat doritos instead of going to the great outdoors, catching fish, and being tick infested.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 14:38:04 (permalink)
    I had a tick head dug out of my leg at the VA last month.

And by the way a bullseye rash does not always appear with Lyme disease. Get checked.
    malice6372
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 16:45:57 (permalink)
    I don't know if this is still true, but when I was in the military and someone got bit, they made us keep the tick and take it with us to be tested. Don't know if you are supposed to do that in the "civilized" world now.

By the way, Accountant, this is the worst thread ever. Like I said at the beginning, they are my worst fear, but fishing is one of my biggest loves, so I will just try to take precautions, but I can't stay away from them feesh!
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 21:09:24 (permalink)
    Little jar with alcholhol will kill them. I heard a dab of petroleum jelly will make them back out or suffocate them!

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    Fenwayer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 21:46:35 (permalink)
    Ticks.....uhg

"Tight Lines."
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 21:53:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

I heard a dab of petroleum jelly will make them back out or suffocate them!

And before it backs out it will vomit whatever toxins it may be carrying into your blood stream.  Heat and any other substance that "forces" a tick back out will have the same effect. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the preferred method is to use tweezers to grab as close to the head as possible and slowly pull it straight out.    
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 22:17:27 (permalink)
    I have Lyme Disease. You don't want it. It's under control for now, but I'm basically waiting for later symptoms.

My cat goes outside rarely, and has already been back with a tick this year. My friend, who lives right through the woods from me, has an inside/outside cat, and it comes home with them constantly. I wonder what effect this warm weather will have on their populations this year.

I'd rather be fishin...
    smallmouth76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/21 23:40:20 (permalink)
    Pulled one off the lab last week. Time for frontline, expensive but worth it.
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/22 00:26:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSTgpFxs5Q

Perfect Bulldog!!!
    After having a good laugh i did learn alot. I have had a few on me myself, and tons on our black lab. We were having trouble gettin on out of our lab once and went to a local store and picked one of these up. http://www.ticktwister.com/ Worked pretty darn good.
    post edited by Rough House - 2012/03/22 00:39:53

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/22 06:03:32 (permalink)
    Ticks......
    Asian carp......

Whats plague is next?
    anatikus
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/22 07:28:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyedreamn

Ticks......
    Asian carp......

Whats plague is next?

a swarm of straw hat wearing bipeds will sweep through Pa......devouring all fish in their path. ....and as far as ticks go, buy stock in DEET.

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/23 23:24:45 (permalink)
    went to a local store and picked one of these up. http://www.ticktwister.com/ Worked pretty darn good.

I checked these out and they are strongly recommended on several continents. The original patent was issued to a French vet back in the 1990's. These recommendations included several medical studies.

I just ordered four sets of the O'Tom Tick Twister directly from the site you posted. The O'Tom's are a set of two similar devices with one being the standard size and the other, a small size capable of extracting the tick when it's freshly attached and difficult to grasp. The other model comes in only one size -- medium/large. But it is also attachable to a key chain. Both are $5.00 each plus $3.95 shipping for up to (I think) six each.

Given the wacky weather we've experienced, no doubt we can expect an explosion in the macroinvertebrate population in the months to come.

Thanks for your timely information.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/24 08:32:37 (permalink)
    There are several good ways to keep the little devils off of you. I worked on Presque Isle doing research in some of the thickest and nastiest brush where there are tons of ticks and was able to keep them away.

First, where long sleeves and long pants, light colors. Second treat your outer clothing with permethrin insect spray http://www.campmor.com/permethrin-spray-tick-repellent.shtml something like this. Do not spray this stuff on your body, treat your clothing with it. Third, use a good high DEET containing insect repellent. Be sure to spray your cuffs and around your head and neck region. Wear a hat that is sprayed as well. Last, when you get home be sure to take a shower and look for ticks.

As I said I worked in a heavily infested area for a several years studying Lyme Disease in wild mice populations and was able to avoid the ticks.

Good luck out there and be careful.

on another note, there is tons of poison ivy out there. I was not as lucky with avoiding that....

pax vobiscum +
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/25 09:19:43 (permalink)
    early '70s was stationed in maryland and fished alot of the ponds in the area. picked up ticks every outing. on one occassion after showering and checking by bod as best i could i hit the bunk in the barracks only to wake up the next morning with one crawling out of my ear fat and happy! shudder about this to this day.
    surffishn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: For your safety 2012/03/25 12:35:05 (permalink)
    Never pull A tic straight out.A mild winter can be to blame.But there are winter tics even in A harsh winter,cold dose not bother them.Best way to remove tic is with A deticker it grasps the tic then twist counter clockwise.You will be surprised how easy it is removed.Go to www.deticker.com for more info.
    post edited by surffishn - 2012/03/25 12:36:27
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: