What was the worst weather you ever fished in?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Hefalump
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/15 13:21:05 (permalink)

A few years back... my brother-in-law Tony & I were fishing Elk during the winter... there was not much open water, just alot of ice out from shore.  We had to break the ice and push it out into the flow in order to get our lines into the water.  The ice formed in the eyelets in about two or three casts... we didn't catch anything... but we had a memorable trip!

49 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 14:50:25 (permalink)
    Right before Hurricane Alisha hit the Texas coast (Where I grew up) around 1985 I believe....

My father and I fished the beach right before it hit. The wind and ripp tide were so bad that they were trying to evacuate people from Galveston Island. The bull reds love the "before" storm and were feeding like mad.
    We were pulling in bull red after bull red in the 20-30 lb range until the cops came and made us leave...lol

The tide was so high that we had to park on the street and walk threw water just to get to where we normally fish. The waves off shore was NASTY! I'll never forget that wind when we were leaving. I bet that it was gusting to 80-90 mph as we started to leave. When we got home my mother was MAD!

Couldn't believe my father took me out in that weather. Every year my dad use to go out right before the storms and tear up the reds....

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 15:30:12 (permalink)
      I was fishin alone on the Alleg. River in 72 or 73 when hurricaine Agnus hit. I was leaving & thought someone started throwin rocks at me  Here it was hail (golfball) sized , I crawled under a car for about 1/2 hr. Caught a 20" L/M the day before. The river was unfishable the rest of the summer
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 16:00:27 (permalink)
    I was ice fishing at Moraine one year that was so cold they said on the news not to go out of your house if you didn't have to. Being outside more than 10 seconds, your skin cold start to freeze. Me and a buddy were playing tip-up hockey. We were kicking a 5 gallon bucket lid like a hockey puck. If you hit the other guy's tip up the flag would pop up....SCORE!!!!Not only did you get scored on but you had to reset your tip-up. What a blast.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 16:11:00 (permalink)
    NIIIICE!!!!!!!!!! i should have thought to try that. i can never get a tip up to go up at arthur.

i know it cant be from setting them up, not checking them for 6 hours while i sit in the shack and eat and drink and fall asleep all day.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 16:20:27 (permalink)
    LOL...That's why we were playing tip-up hockey...not many bites and boredom..Has anyone ever seen the ice-boats there? They are like sailboats with skis on em and boy do they fly!!!I have'nt been ice fishin in a few years but a buddy gave me a bucket of various ice fishin HIS buddy gave to him when he moved to Fla. Might have to give it another go this season.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 16:29:43 (permalink)
    Hefalump,
          I'd have to say one of two:  22 degree day blowing snow, ice freezing on guides, fishing for 12" stockies.  Or, 35 degrees, soaking rain for three days, wind blowing water inside your wet weather gear, and casting the biggest spey fly rod to Scottish salmon.  Your casting motion would let the rain and mist and fog and whatever the heck other kind of wet weather they have over there right in your rain gear.  But I enjoyed both times.
         One time I did not enjoy was 95 degrees off the Mississippi coast casting for whatever we could catch with no shade.  I was burnt to a crisp (2d degree on my arms, hands and face/neck).
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/12/18 00:47:14

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 16:35:28 (permalink)
    Lot's of die-hards on this board indi. and I would have to say you are one of em. Sometimes my girlfriend just shakes her head and gives me a weird look when she sees me going fishin in some of the s@#$ I'm out in...

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 16:36:35 (permalink)
    im the laziest ice fisherman ever so its my own fault i dont catch any fish.

you gotta have a big "set" to man one of those ice-boats up there on a windy day. we could hear them a long way off before we saw them. they haul arse.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 17:29:17 (permalink)
    We fished a tournament on Canadohta Lake about 10 years ago. Standing temp Saturday morning was 20 below. Sunday morning was 22 below...Instant snotcicles..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 18:14:05 (permalink)
      Kevin, 

I had to laugh when you, Greg & I went to the Rock last Sun. in a icey downpour & you brought the coal shovel so we could get to the fishin spot. Walkin that plank was sortta fun though   I think the crick rose after Greg shoveled the snow into it
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 19:26:18 (permalink)
    I fished Walnut or was that Elk, about 4 years ago. My guides were freezing up, my fly line was freezing up, my reel was freezing up, and my fly was an ice cube, making fly fishing impossible. Ice droplets were freezing on my leader making the ice fly unable to sink. I quit because I could not get the fly down to the level of the fish. Temperature was in the single digits that cold morning. I seem to remember the next day the streams froze up for about 6 weeks.
    Chris
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/15 22:16:11 (permalink)
    I was fishing Tamarack for muskie last winter, caught two 35's and then the temperature dropped to like 12 or 10. And on a boat with the wind, it was fluckin freezin!! Top it all off we ran out of batteries at the far end of the pond and became a Crew team all the way up the shoreline against the wind and snow. Still had a better time than any day of work!
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 01:07:50 (permalink)
    dont know how and didnt know they were off. sorry skip, i'm comp illiterate. i know how to turn the computer on, print, and log into these forums. after that i'll freeze the dang thing up.
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/12/16 01:10:10
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 01:08:31 (permalink)
    Do it in your Profile

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 01:11:39 (permalink)
    ok, thanks. didnt know that existed.
    Jigmaster1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 10:01:19 (permalink)
    About 2 Years ago me and some buddies were fishing at the Chesapeake light tower about 17 miles off the coast of Virginia Beach. We were slamming the spade fish and the radar pick up a HUGE storm coming at us fast.  We pulled anchor and tried to make the run in before it hit. Of course we got about 6 miles from the inlet and all Hell broke loose. As our luck would have it we got caught in a lighting storm. So we had that Sea Craft wide open trying to run down the beach to try and get around the storm. That didn’t work. The only thing we could do was put our head’s between or legs and kiss our****goodbye. That was the worst lighting storm I’ve ever seen from a boat and I don’t want to see another. We had lighting strikes hitting about 30 yard’s from the boat. You could feel the electric raising the hair on your neck. We saw one lighting bolt that tried to catch the water on fire. It was amazing, sparks’ and flames coming off the water. Hopefully I will never go through that again, but hey its fishing. I would rather die at that then in a nursing home when I’m 80 year’s old.

Jm1
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 10:53:59 (permalink)
    Jig, I got scared just READING your post.....

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 11:00:05 (permalink)
    Chris, my buddy fell off that plank this Spring. Greg's a real trooper.....had fun teasin him about makin the creek go up by shovelin the snow in tho...You never know fishin in that kind of weather...Iv'e had outstanding days and sometimes that's all I was doin...out standing...

redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 17:17:51 (permalink)
    About 8 or so years ago.  Fished pymy out of a 14ft aluminum boat.  Freezing rain to snow then back to freezing rain.  Early spring.  Wind was whippin, not sure how fast.  White caps like crazy.  Caught some eyes though.  The water inside the boat when we reached shore had to of been 6" deep.  Had the lake to our selves though.
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 19:20:45 (permalink)
    I remember being caught out in a terrible storm north of the causeway (Pymy), actually I think it was this year.

There was frequent lightning, the lake was stirred up to say the least and the weather sirens were going off all over the place signaling tornadic activity. I remember finally reaching shore, literally crashing the boat onto shore at the Espyville Marina to take refuge inside.

Actually, that's the only place I've fished in bad weather where I've actually been pretty scared. It's amazing how bad that lake kicks up...it's one lake you don't want to be on with bad weather.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 19:45:55 (permalink)

Those spades are a blast on light tackle!  The storm...not so much.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 19:59:12 (permalink)
    ronnie84,

Your post reminded me of a time about 5 years ago when my dad and I were on Pymy fishing for walleye.  I knew a storm was due in later that night and I wanted to hit it hard for a few hours because I believe its the best time to fish.  The morning was perfect with the fish biting and slight overcast in the sky.  However, just around noon the wind began to kick up a bit and we were about a mile or so from the launch.  Within 15 minutes after the first few wind gusts, the clouds began to thicken and pick up speed.  I said to dad, "We better get going!"  He said "Awww come on, one more drift, the fish are biting."  I agreed and about half way through the drift, we heard some far off rumbles, the wind kicked up even more and the sky grew dark!  Without qeustioning dad this time, I started the motor and said "we're outta here!"  We weren't even half way back to launch 41 and it appeared that you could reach up and grab the clouds.  The rain began coming down in dime sized drops pelting us hard.  We could see the bolts of lighting striking all around us and the storm was right there upon us.  This had to be the most frightened I've ever been on the water....I prayed the whole way back and here we were in a 17' boat doing about 7 mph. with our Honda 9.9.....I could barely see 10 feet in front of the boat!  We never made it to launch 41, but rather stopped at a closer launch to have a few considerate fisherman drive me to my vehicle.  Ever since that day and since I now have a boat with a 90 h.p. aside my 9.9; I have vowed fine or no fine, if that ever happens to us again, I'm dropping the 90 to get back to the launch.  I'd much rather risk the fine than risk our lives.  I still think the 9.9 h.p. is for the birds on a lake the size of Pymatuning.  Tight lines all!

ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 20:05:16 (permalink)
    I agree with you, ShutUp, I've said the same thing myself. We only had a Johnson 9.9 but if I had a bigger motor I wouldn't even think twice to drop it in an event like that. There's a reason that lake continues to take lives every year, it gets nasty real quick...that's why you hear some call it 'Little Erie'.
    FLATFISH4F
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 20:34:17 (permalink)
    Years ago my brother in law and I were fishing Wilson NY for browns out on the pier. I could see a big storm coming and told him we should wait it out and go back to the truck. "NO WAY" HE SAID we were killing them, I went back to the truck to wait it out he stayed. The rain came down in 55 gal drums it rain so hard and the wind, he sat in his chair. The wind was blowing so hard he lost everything but the chair he was sitting on. Rod, reel all his tackle net EVERYTHING the wind blew everything into the water.

.......... FLATFISH
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 20:55:36 (permalink)
    Was far away from camp on a Canadian lake and had to hold up in a shack we found on an island while a wicked T-storm and Tornado went buy......got so drunk in the shack that afternoon we couldn't fish after...

Thank God for good Canadian beer...eh

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/16 23:23:46 (permalink)
    I remember wading in lake arthur and having a lightning bolt come out of nowhere.  It was directly above us.  Not the worse weather not pretty frightning.

I went to upper walnut once with the air temp 4*.  Guides, line, and bug froze in about 4 casts.  I did catch a fish that ended up landing itself.  I didn't last long.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 01:02:18 (permalink)
    rippinlip,
         I don't know about the die hard thing; the problem is I just like to fish.  When I was healthy I would fish in just about any weather, but I hate hot and sunny.  For me you can keep bone fishing, or tarpon, or redfish.  I burn way too easily.  And I'm allergic to something they put in most blockers.  The only effective sunscreen for me is white Zinc Oxide. 
         But I have been very fortunate to have fished in some pretty neat places and under some pretty miserable conditions. I've caught a few and missed more than I should have and the memories are still there.
         So, cold and wet don't usually bother me.  Hot and humid really do.  I'll take fishing a trib of Hudson Bay for Char over a trip to the Keys for Tarpon anyday.  Everyone has their preferences.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 08:37:40 (permalink)
    Its been awhile since I posted in here and I see why, but aren't there any moderators to clean up anymore?

Lipsticker2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 09:42:59 (permalink)
    Went home to Seattle on leave from the Air Force, me and my fishin buddy decided to go out in Puget Sound for some Salmon. Went around the calm side of an island and fished for a couple of hours. When we decided to leave, we rounded the end of the island and knew we were in trouble. The wind had kicked up BIG TIME. We thought about just staying where we were, but the guy thing kicked in and we went for it. About 1/2 way back to the launch (in 8-10 foot waves) we ran over a 2x4 and it wedged between the out drive and the boat, killing the motor. I was hanging over the back, my buddy had my by the ankles, and I finally got the board out of the out drive. By that time, there was a coast guard chopper over the top of us, with a guy leaning out the door, watching the whole thing. We got the boat going again, and started heading toward the launch again. A couple of minutes later, I looked out the back, and here comes one of the monster ferries right at us. We turned broadside to the waves and the ferry missed us by about 50 yards. Way to close. That is absolutely the most frightened I have ever been on the water.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: