New and looking for some advice

Author
dougbrick
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/24 10:18:33 (permalink)

New and looking for some advice

Hi all, I am new to the site, well I have been reading for a while, but finally joined. This might be a repeat question, but I am looking for some help.
My dad and I started fly fishing a few years ago. Currently we buy our flies from shops and sporting good stores, but after reading this site, I see way more patterns on here then i do in the local shops. I will be honest I don't have an elaborate outfit. My dad and I just got a basic outfit from a Dicks Sporting goods store. We figured that since we are new no sense in spending a ton of cash on something we may or may not like. Right now we like :) So now that we are getting into the fly scene, we want to start tying our own flies... Is there a basic setup that isn't to expensive that can get us started.. don't want anything fancy, just basic to get us started. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

16 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/02/24 12:06:18 (permalink)
    http://www.fishusa.com/FlyFishing-FlyTying-FlyTyingKits_c.html

I think they have a starter kit at Dik's Sporting Goods for around $40.

A ceramic Bobbin is a plus and a good sharp pair of scissors is a must.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/02/24 14:10:44 (permalink)
    Get a cheap Thompson vise as well as a bobbin, good scissors (Dr. Slick ECO line is pretty good), and a whip finish tool.

Pick up hooks & materials to make one pattern, I'd suggest marabou blood quills, small chenille, and strung saddle hackle for buggers, and get started with just that one pattern. By the time you run out of anything (hooks most likely), you'll have a much better idea if this is for you, as well as what else you may want to buy.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/02/25 16:47:39 (permalink)
    ^^^ Great suggestions - and these guys know what's up . ^^^

Starting out right doesn't mean you have to drop a bunch of ching. The tying kits are nice in that they have everything, including a vise, for a nominal investment. Also, get yourself a copy of Dave Hughes' book American Fly Tying Manual. It's a $10 book with priceless information. Great beginner's book. Doubletaper recommended it to me, and it has been a big help.

Enjoy.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/02/25 17:06:39 (permalink)
    Doug and Dad - Congrats on wanting to make the jump to the madness of tying!! I gotta warn ya though it can get addicting. There are so many resources out there today - especially on YouTube or Vimeo that you can watch and learn. Lot's of good advice above here that will lead you in the right direction on what to get. Watch the tying kits though. The vices that come with them can cause alot of frustration that can lead to one losing interest. The problem is they will not hold the hook well enough. I found this out giving classes when the attendees brought their own tools. Like Cold states, a Thompson vice is a great choice - in fact I bought one some 40 years ago and tied with it up until about 5 years ago. Now I got this fancy rotary thing. The scissors - yeah pretty important. Big thing is - if you have someone who you can sit down with in person - it will shorten the learning curve.

There's some extremely talented tiers on this site who are willing to help you out in any way. Don't be afraid to ask and more importantly post the pictures of your flies - no matter how bad they look. That way we can steer you in the right direction. Post or PM a question to the group and it will be answered. No question is a dumb question - we all started out at some point just like you.

Finally - Welcome to the club my friend.
    post edited by steely34 - 2012/02/25 17:15:01

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

dougbrick
    New Angler
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/02/28 14:36:01 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.... I am kinda getting excited about this. of couse I think I am going to have some frustration thrown in there for sure LOL
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/02/28 16:07:16 (permalink)
    Just don't get psyched out.

Start by finding a few patterns you can handle. (Not that you think you can handle, but that you will actually be able to tie correctly, without issues, on a regular basis. I started off trying glo-bugs and I found out they were more difficult than I thought. A few seasons later, I learned to tie them better, but not until I'd gotten a better feel for thread tension.

Woolly buggers, hares ears, clousers, and an EHC would be my idea of a good beginning assortment, as they're all pretty simple patterns, but they cover a wide variety of skills you'll need later on (dubbing, palmering, hair stacking, wing cases, tapering) and they all offer opportunities for you to fill out a fly box with a wide variety of flies based on the same pattern (beadheads, flash backs, and hot spots on teh hares ears...flash and synthetics on the buggers & clousers...herl bodies & trailing shucks on the EHC). Also, they're all very effective flies that will allow you to use nearly any approach to catch trout, panfish, bass, pike, steelhead, and carp...anything in PA, really, when tied in the right sizes.

Big thing is - if you have someone who you can sit down with in person - it will shorten the learning curve.

There's some extremely talented tiers on this site who are willing to help you out in any way. Don't be afraid to ask and more importantly post the pictures of your flies - no matter how bad they look. That way we can steer you in the right direction. Post or PM a question to the group and it will be answered. No question is a dumb question - we all started out at some point just like you.

This is some excellent advice. Even just one or two evenings with an experienced tyer will teach you more than you might learn in months on your own...especially early on. If you post what area you're generally from, it's possible (if not likely) that someone here might offer to do just that.

Definitely post pictures. Not only will it help the rest of us diagnose issues and offer suggestions, but I find I'm far more critical of my work when seeing it as a picture rather than looking directly at the fly. As rough & tumble as this site can get, the fly tying section seems to be the one single part that is mostly good-natured, supportive, helpful, and really really backs it up with results.
    dougbrick
    New Angler
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/01 13:57:24 (permalink)
    Well I took some of your advice and I found a friend who dad and I sat down with last night. His "fly room" was amazing, and looking at all his equipment I can see how this could be an addicting and expensive venture. To make a long story short, Dad had a very hard time with it. He has bifocals, and his eyesight isn't the best anyway, so he struggled and got frustrated. Any of you have that issue? if so, is there anything to help out? I don't see him sticking with it with as much trouble as he had last night. I was having a good time, although my fly didn't look anything like Harald's, he is the guy who was helping us. I did take some pics, but I have a couple problems. I cant find my cord to download the pics from my camera to the computer, and secondly, I don't have a clue how to post them on here. I see there is a thread to help with posting pics, but I am not the most computer literate person. So If I cant find that cord, I might have to go get a card reader. I will post pics when I figure out how

Thank you all for the informative PM's, it is greatly appreciated.
    post edited by dougbrick - 2012/03/01 13:58:54
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/01 14:54:03 (permalink)
    I do all my tying with a 3x magnifying glass with the light....The one on the swing arm.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dougbrick
    New Angler
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/01 15:17:49 (permalink)
    I dont know what the magnifying power was, but we did use one also, and he still had issues.. personally I think he is all thumbs
    schmoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/01 21:26:23 (permalink)
    Flyfishers seem to care more about (exactly) how flies look than the fish do. Believe me - After I got my cataracts fixed, I realized how bad a lot of my flies looked. I had a imported el cheapo vice for nearly 20 years. It worked fine up until the end of last season. The new peak is much nicer, but the old cheapie worked well for years.

For a quick start, the Bean store in Pittsburgh sells kits by Crystal River. They give you all the pieces you need and some real basic instructions. The end cost is about fifty cents a fly. It's a good way to start, and one of those kits often makes it's way into my Christms stocking.
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/04 16:34:43 (permalink)
    Dad had a very hard time with it. He has bifocals, and his eyesight isn't the best anyway, so he struggled and got frustrated. Any of you have that issue? if so, is there anything to help out?

Here's an idea that works well for me and doesn't involve spending a lot of $$$:

Go to a local discount store (Walmart is a good choice) and find the area where reading glasses are sold. Usually, you can locate them around the in-store pharmacy or near the sunglasses. Look for the least expensive reading glasses ($7 - $12) and purchase a 2.00 diopter or a 3.00 diopter, if you can find them. Get the glasses with the smallest size lenses, about an inch high. Width doesn't really matter.

Have dad wear these diopter (magnifying) glasses over his existing glasses and adjust them to cover ONLY THE TOP of the existing lenses, NOT OVER THE LOWER LENSES typically used for close objects. Generally, you'll achieve the best magnification and clarity at a distance of 12-18 inches from the object you are observing. Experiment by extending the magnifying lenses beyond the lenses of the existing glasses. You can test them in the store by attempting to read a label or package with small print.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to have the best possible lighting as near to the object as possible.

Best of luck!
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/05 10:06:53 (permalink)
    If all else fails, you're simply going to have to tie twice as many flies for you AND your Dad.

Enjoy the experience.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

fishingman62
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/07 20:46:20 (permalink)
    welcome to tying doug both a frustrating and rewarding part of fly fishing..tying being the frustration and catching a fish on your own creation the reward.. heres my 2 cents stay with easy stuff first... wooly buggers are great not a difficult tie and they catch just about everything... tie them in different colors and also sizes anything from a 12 - 16 will catch you everything from trout to bass to panfish.. don't be afraid to vary them add some crystal flash, leave off the hackle, add more or less hackle..small mymphs and midge patterns sizes 14-22 are also easy... these 2 patterns alone will catch you plenty of fish..remember it dosent have to look like the book picture, if its close in color and size to what the fish are eating you will catch them, an exact match is not as nessecary as you may think... and here's the kicker keep and try out those ones you mess up that look like a train wreck.. you will be very surprised just what a fish might eat ...i tie a fly my buddies and i called the ugly green thing later dubbed the green thing lol it caught more trout than any other fly we had in all are boxes combined and it was a pattern that my buddy messed up on that came out as titled an ugly green thing...best of luck to you and your dad
    dan

i fish because the voices in my head tell me to
    dougbrick
    New Angler
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/12 14:29:40 (permalink)
    Thanks fishingman, and to everyone else who has offered some great advice. Its been a rough last couple weeks around here and I still cant find my cable for my camera, and I was supposed to meet up with Harald again, but things just haven't worked out. Still eager to make a few more attmepts, but I think dad has given up on the tying idea, and you are right, if I start tying, I will be tying for two
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/12 15:19:21 (permalink)
    Tying for two isn't always a bad thing, Doug.

Once you get into the rhythm (meaning that you aren't stressing out over every fly...you have a solid core of 3-5 patterns that you can tie comfortably, and which end up reasonably identical), from there, if you're anything like me, you'll kind of go through an expansion phase, where you're trying lots of different patterns and styles, as well as improving your core techniques.

While this is a fun time in which you'll be able to literally see your progress from session to session, one 'downside' i had was that I was tying and improving faster than I was fishing and losing the flies. End result: a glut of failed experiments, badly proportioned, too-bulky, and generally flawed ties that, while they'll catch fish, they seem to never get tied on, left in the dust of your fly box in favor of newer ties that look better to your eye, inspiring more confidence. As time goes on, your flies will only get better and better, so those early efforts only get farther from your terms of acceptability. The other day, I was rummaging around in the trunk of my car and found an entire fly box full of dry flies I'd tied a few years back that I'll probably never fish, because I have better examples of the same patterns in other boxes, and when I run out, I'm more likely to tie more 'good ones' than to resort to those 'rough ones'.

With you tying for two, not only will you have the impetus to keep tying, but your dad will help you clear out the 'old stock' as well. Like I said before, they'll still catch fish, and because he isn't tying, you'll use them up as your technique improves.
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: New and looking for some advice 2012/03/12 17:49:52 (permalink)
    So true!!
    Jump to: