"Dads Native"

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/20 12:15:28 (permalink)

"Dads Native"

Our piece of timber isn't much when you take into account what surrounds it. 10 acres surrounded by hundreds but it is my place to go when I need to think about things. What was once close to a hundred and fifty acres owned by my great grandfather, now is reduced to just a thin strip owned by me. The best part of that entire tract though is the little spring that starts its journey from under a rock during a dry season. During the spring of the year though, if you walk up stream you can see where it flows out from the roots of the oak tree. My grandfather always had a tin cup hanging on the tree branch next to the spring to fill with water to quench our thirst when we would be cutting wood for the winter. For some reason it disappeared one year and Dad replaced it with a bottle that he put next to a rock. And there it stayed for us to use. As time passed by, the property was subdivided and sold off but the spring was always meant to stay in our family. So many memories go through my mind when I take walks there - past the little stone markers where our pets have been buried, beyond the oak that Dad got stuck in the neighboring tree when he cut it down (it's still leaning there), and on to the spring where I sit and figure out ways to solve life's problems.

My father loved to fish for native trout and I can remember him wondering in conversations we would have about whether or not they were present downstream of our little spring. Time and years passed by and we never followed up on our ideas of whether or not our water had created a haven for those little brookies he loved to fish for. Dad passed on and I aged and I never returned to our wonderings about our thoughts.

Then this past week, it hit me that I needed to return to our conversations and give it a try. I couldn't believe that so much time had passed by in my life and I had never explored this idea. If nothing else - the walk and the searching would do me good because work and life in general had created within me something I didn't like.

So this morning I got up early, packed my little 3 weight, a box of nymphs and off I went. What I found was something I had forgotten about ... a clear memory of my father wondering out loud if they were there.

Dad....... this day was for you. I missed you today buddy.

Oh - and one more thing I gotta tell you Dad..... We were right.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

13 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/20 12:23:52 (permalink)
    now is reduced to just a thin strip owned by me

You call it 'just a thin strip'... but how big does it really need to be to continue to provide you with an all important link to your past? I'd say that thin strip is pretty strong!
    Glad to see you found your natives and your dad was right... and hopefully your trip provided you with all of the peace or answers you were seeking.
    Looks like a beautiful place (and way) to spend an afternoon
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/20 12:48:21 (permalink)
    thanks for the smile!
    there's many of small creeks i've thought about exploring that my grandpa and i have hunted near and i too always wondered.......

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/20 17:19:02 (permalink)
    Hope you found the peace you were seeking.
    Your heart is in the right place, your head will follow.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/20 19:30:08 (permalink)
    I'm still getting chills. I miss my dad too. Caught lots of brookies with him. Thank you!

Fishmonger
    ray126
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 238
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/20 21:28:27 (permalink)
    steely,Nice, It is amazing the older we get the more we seem to trip over wisdom gained.There is a saying,When I was 20,I knew every thing,When I was 30,I realized I knew nothing,When I was 40,I began to learn.Ray
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/21 11:04:03 (permalink)
    VERY COOL....
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/22 08:33:19 (permalink)
    excellent story duud...
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/23 10:27:05 (permalink)
    Really good story Buddy. I hope that one day i could try that little crick fishing with you.

Glad you found what you needed to find , in all aspects of the journey.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    ableone
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/23 12:52:03 (permalink)
    Beautiful thoughts, memories and looks like a great site to keep in your family....wish I could find someplaces like trhat to share with my grandsons.....
    Whitebeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/23 23:08:13 (permalink)
    Nicely done . . .
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/24 09:39:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom...gave me an idea. My mom just pasted this morning and she loved walleyes..think I,ll go catch her one more...love ya brother,

fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/24 10:09:23 (permalink)
    Steely, thanks for sharing that, it was a great read and it reminded me not to take my father or my sons for granted!
    brett b
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: "Dads Native" 2012/02/24 16:14:30 (permalink)
    Steely, that was a great story. Every time I step onto a Stream I am at peace. It is were my dad and I shared one of our last moments together. God bless you.

HEAVEN=LIFE,KIDS AND FLY FISHING
    Jump to: