Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/01 15:38:28 (permalink)
   Was Pheasant huntin the State stocked Durham Ct Meadows area years ago with a fine young Setter. Dog went on point and hada get across a small  brook and round some brush to get to her.

Comin round the brush to the dog  heard a muffeled shot- as I came round  some idiot was standin by her holdin up a blown apart bird , Clearly shot right in front of the dogs nose  on the ground. His 2 friends were doin the UH OH shuffle.

--nuff said- aint admittin ta nothin--------
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/02 04:02:15 (permalink)
Woo woo hold on! There are wild turkeys in pa? Wow it all makes sense now
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/02 12:20:32 (permalink)
I HATE the new proposed regulation.
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/09 16:34:10 (permalink)
Who is part of the think-tank that put this to the vote ? Too bad the hunters of the Commonwealth couldn't weigh in on this issue.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/09 20:12:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

Who is part of the think-tank that put this to the vote ? Too bad the hunters of the Commonwealth couldn't weigh in on this issue.

Hunters certainly can weigh in.

It is just a proposal and needs to be voted on at the April Commission meeting. If anyone has strong feelings about the subject one way or the other they can contact the Commissioners with their views.

That is how the Commission system is designed to work on issues that are social in nature.

R.S. Bodenhorn
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/09 20:18:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RSB

It is just a proposal and needs to be voted on at the April Commission meeting. If anyone has strong feelings about the subject one way or the other they can contact the Commissioners with their views. 

Yep.  Lots of folks spend hours dicussing various issues on the message boards but few of those let their feelings be known to those that matter.  Not saying the above member hasn't.

Every proposal goes through two votes over a period of 3 months.  Plenty of time to act. I will not oppose this proposal.

My rifle is a black rifle
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/09 21:52:40 (permalink)
Would a petition be considered,I have talked to our state rep on other issues or both?
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/10 21:23:36 (permalink)

Would a petition be considered,I have talked to our state rep on other issues or both?

A petition would be considered but it would have a lot more weight if it were a survey of people in the area to be effected and then had someone at the Commission meeting to present how they conducted the survey and what the results were.

There should be a copy of the survey and the results for each commission member to view as it is being presented.

The Commission is always receptive to public comments but it is going to carry a lot more weight and significance when you have something to present that is more than just an opinion on something, or on what you as an individual do or don’t like about things.

R.S. Bodenhorn    

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/11 15:09:37 (permalink)
That's where a simple yes or no vote opportunity , from the licensed hunters would be effective coming from the hunters of the Commonwealth to the Commission directly.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/11 23:19:10 (permalink)

That's where a simple yes or no vote opportunity , from the licensed hunters would be effective coming from the hunters of the Commonwealth to the Commission directly.

I don't know about that!

I would be willing to bet that if hunters could all vote on many of the issues there would be even more complains from hunters than there are now. The fact is most hunters don’t pay any attention to most issues involving hunting or hunters so I rather suspect having them vote on most things would be a very risky proposition that ended with just about everything making any and every part of hunting easier becoming legal. That would probably include rifles for turkeys and even deer in the special regulations areas being legal in pretty short order.

R.S. Bodenhorn
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/12 09:57:08 (permalink)
WMU 2A last year. I was shocked at the number of hunters that had no idea that the first week was buck only and that the antler restrictions had changed.  One of my relatives didn't know as we were discussing hunting at Thankgiving dinner.  And he was going hunting Monday.

Not sure I would want every licensed hunter voting on issues that they care little enough about to know the whys and wheres of each regulation.

Plus, opening up voting to licensed hunters allows those not friendly to hunting have a voice just by purchasing a hunting license. 

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/12 10:36:32 (permalink)
Must agree on "all" hunters not getting a vote.
There are just toooooo many clueless people out there and way toooooo many with an agenda that is against our hunting heritage.

Although I think a Sportsmans Advisary Type Committee that could purvey the interests of the hunters to the board would be good. (If they were listned to).

Way to many arm chair biologists out there that form their opinions on game issues from "camp talk" and info gathered selling cigarettes and Jerky to hunters.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/12 10:40:49 (permalink)
Way to many arm chair biologists out there that form their opinions on game issues from "camp talk" and info gathered selling cigarettes and Jerky to hunters.

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/12 19:05:30 (permalink)
Respectfully RSB If the hunters were given a voice they might just begin to take notice to things and be better educated on subjects ( look at the pros and cons ) and decide from there . I'm not against the Game Commission but there are hunters afield that see things that graphs and charts just do not reveal.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/13 20:48:23 (permalink)

Respectfully RSB If the hunters were given a voice they might just begin to take notice to things and be better educated on subjects ( look at the pros and cons ) and decide from there . I'm not against the Game Commission but there are hunters afield that see things that graphs and charts just do not reveal.

Hunter do already have a voice through the current Commission system. All they have to do is write a letter, pick up the phone, send an e-mail or they can speak directly to all of the Commissioners at once at a Commission meeting.

It works to. Most hunters just don’t ever bother to contact a Commissioner about their concerns or thoughts.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/13 21:08:15 (permalink)
As evidenced by the list of changes the BOC has made thus far, if you want something that will help DECREASE the deer herd or turkey population your chances are very good. Other stuff, not so much. RSB is correct about one thing though, too many people do nothing but complain as opposed to contacting the BOC or your local politician. You can bet your arse the AUDUBON is talking to them.
post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/13 21:46:11
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/14 11:49:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

As evidenced by the list of changes the BOC has made thus far, if you want something that will help DECREASE the deer herd or turkey population your chances are very good. Other stuff, not so much. RSB is correct about one thing though, too many people do nothing but complain as opposed to contacting the BOC or your local politician. You can bet your arse the AUDUBON is talking to them.

That is nothing more than yet another of you highly biased rants.

Hunters are certainly listened to even though they are totally split into thousands if not hundreds of thousands of different directions they want the Game Commission to go with the various management directions for each species. Hunters can't seem to agree on what direction anything should go when it comes to managment direction. 

Even if they do, and they not only do but should, listen to Audubon and others with a non-game interest why do they think they shouldn’t?

In this state the Game Commission is legislatively charged with managing for ALL wildlife and their habitats. Since 88% of the species in this state are never hunted why shouldn’t the Audubon people have a say in what management direction is used to manage for those species hunters have no interest in? The Game Commission has received about 12 million dollars over the past couple years that was specifically ear marked for non-game species management so please explain to us just who should be at the table with ideas on the best possible ways to spend that money so it would benefit those non-game species.

Even though people like you see no reason to think of anything you can’t hunt, that opinion and thinking is clearly based on ignorance of the importance of the habitat and food supplies on deer and other wildlife populations. The simple fact is that if the Game Commission had spent the last twenty-five years or so managing for the maximum number of birds and wildflowers instead of the maximum number of deer, as the hunters wanted and demanded, we would have way more deer in nearly all, if not all, areas of this state today than what we do have.

R.S. Bodenhorn
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/14 12:19:50 (permalink)
Really hit a nerve commenting on your Audubon friends didn't I.

1. There are over 900,000 hunters in the state.
2. There are approx 30,000 Audubon members in the state.
3. The so called money for non game species came as a result of the PGC taking HUNTERS MONEY and using it for the REQUIRED MATCH
money to obtain the 12 million dollars.
4. If you would have actually read what I said before your RANT I was agreeing with you about hunters not talking to the BOC and Politicans enough.
5. It is well documented that the Audubon does little else but lobby the PGC and Politicans to get their wants satisfied.
6. With that uncalled for RANT you just showed where your priorties and interests lie. Thanks for doing that.
7. The rest of your RANT is just too silly to bother commenting on.

Just a little add on to prove my point.

Audubon Lobby Day is February 23, 2005
Every year Audubon members impress the conservation and environmental community by turning out more members for lobby efforts than any other group. This year be part of the action!

Audubon members meet in the morning at the Capitol to get everyone up to speed on talking points. After lunch, groups of three or more are sent to their respective legislators
post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/14 13:55:21
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/18 09:36:19 (permalink)
Bet there will be a few at the Bluebird field trip to talk game management to.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/22 11:19:17 (permalink)
I guess the bottom line for me is;
"I'd like to see more acceptance & less persecution among sportsmen.
Just tired of:
Compound > Crossbow
Fly > Spin < Pinning
Archery > Rifle
Lures > Bait
Shotgun > Rifle
Everyone should be able to make their choice without being 'called out' by another sportsmen because it doesn't fit their idea of whatever the 'true' form of the activity is."

Well said Pork ! +1...........
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/22 11:52:31 (permalink)
Can't argue with that either. The antis are using our division against us already.

startinout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/22 21:04:23 (permalink)
Well said Pork! +2
The arguing about PA hunting is getting to be like arguing politics.  They both just give me a headache.  So I don't bother arguing either.  If it's legal, enjoy hunting whatever you want however you want.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: Rifles in 1A, 1B and 2A for fall 2012/02/23 07:40:46 (permalink)
Plus 3-it goes for anyplace.  Ya dont read bout the Antis infighting do ya ???
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: