New advice

Author
DylanT
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/06 15:59:18 (permalink)

New advice

I'm not gonna lie. I've never been ice fishing but my buddy (another newb) wants to get us on the ice this year. Is there any MUST HAVE gear we need???

I ask because these guys are having a sale and I'm wondering if there's anything here I can pick up cheap(er).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/section/sl.aspx?s=%205889&rp=section

I'm figuring I don;t need an ice drill! Or do I?!!!

5 Replies Related Threads

maxlikes2fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: New advice 2012/01/06 19:54:08 (permalink)
    see the other thread titled nubie.

220, 221. Whatever it takes....
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: New advice 2012/01/06 19:55:36 (permalink)
    you can always use someone else's hole but I think a hand auger is a necessary tool along with a couple of rod, I started out using these Schooley's Spring Bobber Pole Package an inexpensive rod.
    pick up some small jigs, I'm partial to Northland jigs but there are many
    very good jigs and spoons to choose from. Some kind of Traction Cleats and ice picks for safety, bucket or seat to set on
    If you live in the Erie area check out our forum sponsor's website or visit there show room at 1807 Pittsburgh Avenue great bunch of guys and will help with any questions you may have. If you find you enjoy ice fishing then you can can buy bigger and better and more expensive equipment it's addicting and the toys just keep piling up.

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

lovthoseyes
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: New advice 2012/01/07 09:36:17 (permalink)
    Dylan, You should get yourself an auger. Hand augers are not expensive and they are light. That's one thing you will appreciate. I have an 8 inch gas auger and a 6 inch and a 5 inch hand auger. I rarely take the gas auger out. My favorite is the 5 inch hand auger. It bores effortlessly and I've had some pretty big fish come up through that hole. I've had an 8 inch hand auger before and the difference in the effort it takes to drill holes compared to the 6 and 5 is dramatic. I don't know what you are planning to catch, but I doubt if you need or want to expend the extra energy on drilling an 8 inch hole. Another must is depth gauges (little lead weights with alligator clips on them). You use these to adjust your bait distance from the bottom. Good luck
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: New advice 2012/01/07 19:47:36 (permalink)
    Along with the cleats & ice picks,I would suggest that you bring a 30' piece of rope & a ice sled to help carry your equipt. also if you know of anyone that makes thier own wine ask if they have any extra plastic buckets. They are usualy 6 gallon cap. which makes them a little taller than the 5 gallon type. Then you can get a cushioned lid at Gander or someother place.To re-pay them for thier kindness you can offer to sample the wine.lol You will also need an ice skimmer. I personaly don't like tip-ups because I don't like to get cold wet hands while on the ice. sam
    DylanT
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: New advice 2012/01/09 20:43:20 (permalink)
    Great stuff. Thanks guys.
    Jump to: