LATE SEASON!!!

Author
blaze16412
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 245
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/18 08:23:19 (permalink)

LATE SEASON!!!

I got a month and half off from school gonna have to wack em hard cant wait for some snow!!! Any body else gonna going out for some birds?

I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

19 Replies Related Threads

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 09:52:14 (permalink)
    I'll be hitting Ohio for some big honkers his week.Going Monday to scout Tuesday too hunt,I've got to skin my ohio deer that I shot on Saterday today.I wish I could have hunted today,love the snow covered fields.
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 11:16:32 (permalink)
    there feeding hard today thats for sure

I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 11:29:45 (permalink)
    I will be going to pyma for geese first weekend in january. I wish i had calls so i could go outmyself. Just got into it this year. Cooked goose last night in the slow cooker with onions and BBQ sauce and turned out amazing. Tasted like pulled pork. Good stuff.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 11:47:34 (permalink)
    Ed, Don't forget,JR is looking for a couple of guys that want to hunt his blinds. He asked me when I talked to him.but I am not intrested. sam
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 11:48:11 (permalink)
    Still? wasn't aware that they were still doing that
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 13:55:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Eman89so

I will be going to pyma for geese first weekend in january. I wish i had calls so i could go outmyself. Just got into it this year. Cooked goose last night in the slow cooker with onions and BBQ sauce and turned out amazing. Tasted like pulled pork. Good stuff.

This is my first year too.

Was out yesterday, first time with my new decoys.

Slow day, just saw a few ducks fly past early in the morning and then, of course, geese all day that aren't in.

Some dUUds came by in boats a little before noon and I heard the one say to his buddy, "Either that guy knows something, or..."

Nope, buddy, I don't know anything about duck hunting, but I'm trying to learn. :P I wish they'd have stopped to tell me what I was doing wrong. lol
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/18 15:26:17 (permalink)
    Good numbers of mallards and geese around the puddles I hunt right now.

Got a pair of mallards yesterday morning on a quick hunt.

Will be hitting 'em hard this week before my little ponds get locked up.
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/19 11:09:51 (permalink)
    saw a few around on friday...went back sat and saw only 2...didnt get a chance at them by the time I found them...with all the snow they got up north that might push them down my way...i'm hoping...

I'd like to see some snow on the ground...gets better here when there is...

Reguardless - I'm off this Fri. and next Monday...I'll be putting the miles on the truck
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/19 11:12:44 (permalink)
    And just when you think you got it all figured out...they WILL throw you a curve...

You'll figger it out...tRuS mE duud

tHey r jUsT dUm dUx

ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: Eman89so

This is my first year too.

Was out yesterday, first time with my new decoys.

Slow day, just saw a few ducks fly past early in the morning and then, of course, geese all day that aren't in.

Some dUUds came by in boats a little before noon and I heard the one say to his buddy, "Either that guy knows something, or..."

Nope, buddy, I don't know anything about duck hunting, but I'm trying to learn. :P I wish they'd have stopped to tell me what I was doing wrong. lol

post edited by wilbur_83 - 2011/12/19 11:14:30
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/19 14:22:50 (permalink)
    Scoped out a local swamp in Avonmore/Saltsburg area the other day.  Results were promising.

If you want info from some serious bird slayers hit up Krott243 or IUP30 on here, both real deal bird hunters.
    upland310
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/19 15:50:06 (permalink)
    Was up Pyma. on Sat. a lot of guy out. Had a couple of groups decoy in using a flag, birds just didn't seem to want to finish, would lock in then last second turn and a go around and come back. Had one group do that 3 time before they committed, not sure why they say that they didn't like, there was a group of guys in the wood about 100yrd out i think they saw them. not sure. They flew constant in small groups all day.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/20 08:57:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the plug, Adam. Our geese numbers have been good this year - early season before deer we were up to over 200 geese harvested in our group that we hunt with. Ducks have been another story aside from one really killer day in the bay with the layout boats. We hunted the bay Saturday and it was slim pickings - didn't even see a blue bill all morning. Not sure what the deal is but in the north zone duck is out now so we are limited to Lake Erie zone for duckin. There were a lot of goldeneyes buzzing around though and we got a nice drake.

Upland - depends on a lot of factors why those birds weren't committing. They couuld be picking out blinds or you may have your dekes set wrong. One thing that we always do if the first flock or two doesn't commit is to change something and see what happens. Open up the landing hole more or move blinds - later in the season sometimes you need to postiion the blinds so the birds aren't coming straight at you so you get a crossing shot instead of straight on. If those birds have been shot at all season, they will start to pick out the blinds and really look over where they are landing prior to committing. Sometimes they will swing around a few times just to get the wind right before landing and if that landing hole ins't right they are outta there. Give it a try and see what happens - it's all trial and error and the birds will tell you what they want.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/20 10:27:28 (permalink)
    Loomis - did you get my PM? It's not showing as "sent" in my messages but it tells me it was delivered ok. PM me your e-mail
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/20 21:40:33 (permalink)
    I'd love to get into some other types of ducks other than mallards. My buddies want to go to Pymatuning for geese but not sure if i can get off of work. Ed
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/20 22:14:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wilbur_83

And just when you think you got it all figured out...they WILL throw you a curve...

You'll figger it out...tRuS mE duud

tHey r jUsT dUm dUx

Oh, no doubt. I'm confident that if I could figure trout in a hatch I cna figure out how to get myself within shotgun distance of a few birds. In a way, the figuring out is the fun part.

The biggest difference, for me, is that with fishing, I already knew how to fish, knew where the fish were, where in the stream they tended to hang out, and I knew that if I wasn't getting them, it was because of my approach.

I'm not even to that point yet with the ducks. I don't know where they are, where they like to hang out, or if what I'm doing will bring them around even if they ARE around. Hopefully if my ankle is up to it, I'll get out again over the next few weekends (2 4 day weekends in a row is nice), and maybe actually see some ducks.

Right now I've only got two spots that I know of to hunt, one is very small and I don't know if the ducks would even visit it (with a perfectly good, larger body of water just a few hundred yards away), while the other is a huge area (comparatively), that, similar to fishing the big water, is just a lot to cover, read, and work all at once, especially for a newb.

But like I said, I'm up for the challenge, and figuring things out is half the fun.
    upland310
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/20 23:00:14 (permalink)
    IUP30 Thanks for the tip, we were in layout blinds among the decs did look twice to check the cover on the blinds thought they looked good but we did not change any of the decs, did clean the snow off they twice, next time that happens I'll give it a try, did get some to commit over all it was day well spent with my son.. Thanks again .....
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/21 10:19:04 (permalink)
    No problem, Upland. It's all trial and error but the biggest thing is BE WHERE THE DUCKS AND GEESE WANT TO BE and there is no substitute for time out scouting. If you're hunting snow, snow covers for your blinds is a MUST.

COLD - spend some time glassing those areas over and see if birds are frequenting the area. I spent many days when I was first learning about waterfowl in areas I thought birds would be and ended up with zip because I just wanted to get out and hunt and see what happens. In hindsight, I should have taken that time to put miles on the truck and find the birds rather than hope they come to where I was at. Our crew typically doesn't waste our time with a field with less than 100 geese coming in to it and we try to find what times and exactly where those birds wanna be before going on the hunt. Even being off the "X" by a hundred yards some days can make the difference between limiting out or watching birds land out of range and leaving you scratching your head. You can try to run traffic and hope you get some to commit if you can't be on the X due to property lines or permission but it's much harder to get those birds to go where you want if they have another spot on their mind.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/21 11:04:45 (permalink)
    Cold- gimme a call when you get the chance.  We'll be down for new years for a few days and may try getting out.  I'll bring my deeks and calls (and of coarse Tucker) and see if we can get some birds to play.

With the duck season out up here, I need to get out at least one more time for ducks.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LATE SEASON!!! 2011/12/22 11:22:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: IUP30
    COLD - spend some time glassing those areas over and see if birds are frequenting the area. I spent many days when I was first learning about waterfowl in areas I thought birds would be and ended up with zip because I just wanted to get out and hunt and see what happens. In hindsight, I should have taken that time to put miles on the truck and find the birds rather than hope they come to where I was at. Our crew typically doesn't waste our time with a field with less than 100 geese coming in to it and we try to find what times and exactly where those birds wanna be before going on the hunt. Even being off the "X" by a hundred yards some days can make the difference between limiting out or watching birds land out of range and leaving you scratching your head. You can try to run traffic and hope you get some to commit if you can't be on the X due to property lines or permission but it's much harder to get those birds to go where you want if they have another spot on their mind.

One if the areas I'm hunting is a good hike from the road, so if I'm making the walk, I figure I might as well tote the shotgun along too, right?

Once the winter really sets in (not that I'm complaining!) I'll be able to see if the geese are interested in the fields in teh area, but until then, I'm just kind of exploring..

Cold- gimme a call when you get the chance. We'll be down for new years for a few days and may try getting out. I'll bring my deeks and calls (and of coarse Tucker) and see if we can get some birds to play.

With the duck season out up here, I need to get out at least one more time for ducks.

Sure thing, man. I have 4 day weekends both this weekend and next, so anytime around New Years weekend that you want to go, I'll most likely be up for it. You can either come out to the place I've been hitting (I'll send you a PM), or if you know of spots more toward where you'll be, I can certainly get myself there too. I still have those tails and a hackle patch for you too.
    Jump to: