erie geese

Author
upland310
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/01 22:42:38 (permalink)

erie geese

what to hunt up in Erie for geese next Sat. but have no idea were to go have never hunted up there and its a hull to go up there and scout live in Beaver county. Any one with info?

5 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: erie geese 2011/12/02 09:25:44 (permalink)
    Waterfowl hunters, and I've been one for 6 years, are the most tight-lipped sportsmen out there. Very seriously doubt somebody is gonna give you coordinates for the X on geese, especially on the internet.

If you want to hunt geese in Erie, which I've never done, I'd suggest by starting your search for public land - Presque Isle, Gamelands in the area, etc. Presque Isle has a blind system that you'd do well to become familiar with if you want to hunt there. Although I've never really heard of anyone targeting geese on Presque Isle - mostly divers and to some extent puddlers, but I'd imagine with some floater geese you might get some action.

Your best bet would probably be to do a day or two of scouting and securing permission to hunt private land. Not sure how difficult that is in Erie County, but I'd imagine many of the good goose spots are already locked up with permission or leases.

You've also got 2 different goose zones in Erie County - one doesn't open again till Monday Dec. 12 and the other doesn't open till Tuesday Dec. 20. So if by next Saturday, you mean the 11th, you're out of luck.

I live in Butler County, and honestly if I just wanted to hunt geese, I wouldn't spend the time to go north. There are already plenty of geese around here with more to come when the weather gets nasty, and I'd imagine there are good numbers to be found in Beaver as well. Now, if you want some good duck action, or a variety of ducks you don't find around here, it would be well worth your time to travel north.

post edited by rsquared - 2011/12/02 09:42:42
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: erie geese 2011/12/02 12:09:14 (permalink)
    TOO ADD... Most if not all the goods spots are blown up during the week and there is little left by Saturday. I am starting to vear back to the dark side of deer hunting.
    upland310
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: erie geese 2011/12/03 22:27:38 (permalink)
    I know how most guy are when it comes to thier spots, was just hoping some one would just suggest a area. you know do you go all the way to the lake or can you hunt 20 miles, stuff like that.
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: erie geese 2011/12/04 14:40:36 (permalink)
    I live in Butler County, and honestly if I just wanted to hunt geese, I wouldn't spend the time to go north. There are already plenty of geese around here with more to come when the weather gets nasty, and I'd imagine there are good numbers to be found in Beaver as well. Now, if you want some good duck action, or a variety of ducks you don't find around here, it would be well worth your time to travel north.

Stupid me, I learned that the hard way. Back in the days when I was young and dumb, I used to travel the U.S. to hunt these things only to find the hunting was just as good here as anywhere else. I really did enjoy Wisconsin though.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: erie geese 2011/12/04 15:43:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: upland310

I know how most guy are when it comes to thier spots, was just hoping some one would just suggest a area. you know do you go all the way to the lake or can you hunt 20 miles, stuff like that.

Well, my only experience in Erie County is fishing the tribs. Can't remember many fishing trips where I didn't see geese - from the lake shore area to upper Elk and Walnut. I'd imagine anywhere you can find a place to hunt in Erie County, you'd have a good chance of seeing some geese.

You ever think of trying to get one of blinds at Pymy for when guys don't show up? Might be more worth your time to do that than to try to find something in Erie.
    Jump to: