FLoat Rod suggestions.help

Author
tommybanzai
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 609
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/04 18:35:16 (permalink)

FLoat Rod suggestions.help

I have been looking all over the place (forums, stores online and off) and trying to come to some conclusion of which rod I would like to buy. I think I pretty much narrowed my centerpin to an Islander. As you all know, rods are something that most of us like to purchase in person and feel their action in person before spending $$$ on them. I have been drift/float fishing with a 10'6" st croix medium/light rod using 6lb mainline (attached leaders depending on conditions ofcourse) on an Okuma reel. I absolutely love the rod setup ...enough backbone to muscle some kings, and enough tip action to baby the steelies around.

I'd really like to find a nice one with reel seats built into it, and not an obnoxciously long butt end. Anyone have any reccommendations? It would be greatly appreciated.

15 Replies Related Threads

centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/05 11:13:14 (permalink)
    Hi tommy buying a float stick can be a head ace,lol but all depends on what you want. I personally would stay away from anything under 10 ft. I have a 13 ft  that i use and i love it. it's a wild river by St.Croix The only float rod that they make. You can pick one up for around 150 $ i have fished mine now for 5 years and love it. My buddy used to say to me all the time that that was too long. But guess what he just purchased one this year and fell  in love with it. And it will handle the fish no problem lot's of back bone quick action hook sets. Another nice rod is a Sheffield float rod i got too see in action 13 ft as well and fished really nice for the money. It's not how much you spend it's how well you can use it. As for a reel i have a Raven SST that i absolute love. And i have had it now for 6 years with never a lick of trouble.Great start up time very smooth and spins forever. My buddy bought a ISLANDER and he does like it and i do like it but he does kinda wish now that he would have bought a raven SST..He says that my SST has a smoother start up. I don't know i think they are both very nice reels all is what you like.....I just wanted to be different and that's why i went with a sst because they where new out on the market. Opposed to the Islander that's been out for years. But you will notice that with the longer rod you will have a advantage trust me. Just my 2 cents. Hope this help you some good luck pinning if you like maybe we can hook up some time hit the tribs in Erie and do some pinning..Let me know Centerpin_drift
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/07 23:49:34 (permalink)
    If your looking to spend 200.00 dollars or more you should really look into a custom rod.  Get it exactly how you want it and know that the components and workmaship is quality.  I would suggest you go with a Raven blank.  They are the best pure float blank available at a reasonable price.  Loomis makes a nice blank but they are only available through Loomis Canada so the prices are outrageous to get them here in the states.

There are many excellent builders that specialize in float rods.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/09 15:54:26 (permalink)
    THANKS FOR THE INPUT CENTERPIN AND SUDSY.

I WAS WONDERING IF EITHER OF YOU, OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAS OR HAS HEARD GOOD OR BAD ABOUT THE SHEFFIELD IM8 RODS.
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/09 19:32:33 (permalink)
    Tommy if you read up in my other post my buddy has the same rod. Very nice rod he purchased his at B.A.C bait &tackle. for i think 160. If i was to buy another stick it would be a Sheffeild.....very nice indeed. Did you figure on what type of reel u was getting yet? For your stick?
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/09 21:09:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: centerpin_drift

Tommy if you read up in my other post my buddy has the same rod. Very nice rod he purchased his at B.A.C bait &tackle. for i think 160. If i was to buy another stick it would be a Sheffeild.....very nice indeed. Did you figure on what type of reel u was getting yet? For your stick?

I am kinda still bouncing around between an Islander, SST...and you know, just thinking ...whats the Sheffield reels like?... astetic and design wise they seem pretty alright. Who makes Sheffield..okuma?... I think so atleast. I have never had a problem with any of my Okuma reels.

An you know, the more i look at the Sheffield sticks, the more I like them. And especially since they come wiht the option of having a fixed reel seat without excess butt length.

I guess it all depends on what kinda $$$ I want to toss on a reel.

***I've seen Sheffield rod/reel combos for 315-340

***Sheffield rods only for 170-200

+

Islander for 370-400

or

SST 220-270  (what makes the SST2 so lighter than SST3)
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/10 08:27:32 (permalink)
    Hi tommy just in my opinion the Sheffield does make a beautiful float stick, and you was saying about the excessive length on the butt ( handle ) you want a longer fighting butt trust me. A stick that long will be greatly appreciated. See my St.Croix has a long fighting butt handle that i absolutely love. And it has the sliding rings I personally love the sliding rings you can adjust your reel where you like it and plus i have never had a lick of trouble with mine coming loose. Now your answer to the the reel . I have a one of the first Raven SST that came out and love it very much. I wouldn't trade it for nothing in the world! Yes islander is a very nice reel but it's all in what you want. I went with the SST because i just wanted to be different,,,, And plus i liked the way the reel looked and i am very Happy that i bought a SST. It has been very maintenance free, you have to clean it once in awhile with some warm water and dish soap,,,, lol But i can only say what i have experienced with my success with the reel. Now your answer to the difference about the reels the SST i have is very light, i am not sure about the SST 2 ,and SST3 I  think it just has more porting that make them different be my guess i can do some research for ya see what i can muster up! Remember doesn't make you any better of a fisherman with a 1,000 dollar outfit opposed to a 400 dollar rig....It's all about the skill that you have. Center pin fishing is a skill,,,,a art, once mastered it's a hard thing to beat. But like anything if you do it enough like i do you only get better in time. Trust me when i first started, wow i thought i am never going to get the hang of this the stick is to long,the reel is awkward, never going to happen! Well i didn't give up and now i wouldn't even think of picking up a spinning rod or a fly rod to fish for steel.......if i can't pin it and worth it too me. I hope this helps you out some. Be nice to get together with you and hit the tribs up in Erie if you like. Here is my email addy ryand1214@alltel.net drop me Aline feel free to ask whatever you like. Have a nice day.          center pin drift!                                                                                                                                                                              
    post edited by centerpin_drift - 2007/12/10 08:34:28
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/18 21:28:41 (permalink)
    Fish USA has a good deal on a sheffield set up,I bought it and love it.A good friend of mine is a guide in N.Y. he has one and recomended it too.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 01:22:12 (permalink)
    I ended up getting a Raven SST3 and Raven Float Rod. Used it today for a bit on the Erie Tribs. I have a lot of learning to do, however I did land my first steelie on it today 
    Ditchrat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 09:29:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tommybanzai

I ended up getting a Raven SST3 and Raven Float Rod. Used it today for a bit on the Erie Tribs. I have a lot of learning to do, however I did land my first steelie on it today 

Good for you.  Now take the reel apart clean the grease out of the bearings and add some light oil when your done.  The improvement in the reel will be noticable.  If you like your reel now after a first cleaning your going to love it.
    post edited by Ditchrat - 2007/12/19 09:30:21

Ditch
    Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 10:55:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ditchrat

Good for you.  Now take the reel apart clean the grease out of the bearings and add some light oil when your done.  The improvement in the reel will be noticable.  If you like your reel now after a first cleaning your going to love it.

It it necessary to do that?...
    Ditchrat
    New Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 18:06:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ditchrat

It it necessary to do that?...

Only if you want the best preformance out of your equipment

Ditch
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 20:37:23 (permalink)
    hmmmm

i looked into it some today, and seen/heard of some people doing that. using singer oil for a sewing machine. I just can imagine tearing something so beautiful down to do that though
    I will keep it in mind though
    Ditchrat
    New Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 20:41:40 (permalink)

hmmmm

i looked into it some today, and seen/heard of some people doing that. using singer oil for a sewing machine. I just can imagine tearing something so beautiful down to do that though
    I will keep it in mind though

Just do it, youll be happy.  Its understandable that you dont want to mess with a new real, but the sst2 and sst3 are very user friendly.  A few screws, then remove cover, bearing fall right out.  Degrease them and place one drop of singer oil each and reassemble.

I just about got rid of my new one because the start up was aweful.  I cleaned the bearings and one of my top choices to fish.  I get a few ravens in my shop and I never let them leave to the customer without a good cleaning.  yes it makes that much difference that you can notice it.
    post edited by Ditchrat - 2007/12/19 20:43:06

Ditch
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 20:56:19 (permalink)
    how do you degrease the bearings...arent they sealed?
    Ditchrat
    New Angler
    RE: Float Rod suggestions.help 2007/12/19 21:31:21 (permalink)

how do you degrease the bearings...arent they sealed?

Not sealed but shielded.  Ill pm you a link to instructions.

Ditch
    Jump to: