trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/25 10:54:09 (permalink)

Building a fly rod

Hello Everyone

Happy Holidays!

I've been thinking about building a light weight fly rod for some time. Most likely a 3 or 4 weight about 6 foot long. Actually started looking at kits. Any Suggestions on what kits provide a better rod? Do i need to get any specialized tools in addition to the kit? How long does it take to build one? New to rod building so any advise is helpful. Thanks
Tight Lines
Trout Man

6 Replies Related Threads

eyeofhorus
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Building a fly rod 2011/11/25 16:57:14 (permalink)
    I built a 2 pc. 8 ft. 4 wt. last year.

I bought the blank, handle, reel seat, guides, epoxy, thread, thread finish and cork reamers. I built a dryer/thread wraper for about $30 from wood with a low rpm electric motor I got online for maybe $2.

Many guys also shape the cork themselves but for a first time build its easier to just buy a pre-finished handle.

A kit would be nice because everything will be layed out for you. You wont have to guess on guides or other components.

Go to any of the rod builders forums and sign up. I go to: http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/. These forums will tell you guide sizing and spacing. and plans for building your own tools.

Buy a basic builders book. Any book will do.

It took maybe two weeks to finish. I waited at least 24 hrs. between epoxies and thread wrap coatings.

enjoy
    post edited by eyeofhorus - 2011/11/25 17:03:28
    flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Building a fly rod 2011/11/25 19:03:36 (permalink)
    Built my first one last year 4wt. 8ft6in. got the kit and everything from Hook&Hackle.com nice people to deal with. Another place MudHole.com very good, plus a real imformative web site for builders, rod building 101
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Building a fly rod 2011/11/27 09:32:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: trout man

Hello Everyone

Happy Holidays!

I've been thinking about building a light weight fly rod for some time. Most likely a 3 or 4 weight about 6 foot long. Actually started looking at kits. Any Suggestions on what kits provide a better rod? Do i need to get any specialized tools in addition to the kit? How long does it take to build one? New to rod building so any advise is helpful. Thanks
    Tight Lines
    Trout Man

Where are you located? If you are close to Pittsburgh you can use my spare wrapper to try it out and see if you like it, you just have to return it when you are done.
    trout man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Building a fly rod 2011/11/28 00:30:22 (permalink)
    Thanks loomis for the offer. I am in pittsburgh, However i haven't deceided if i want to invest in the tools needed for one rod. Kinda in the research phase right now. Again i appreciate the offer.
    Tight Lines
    Trout Man
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Building a fly rod 2011/11/28 20:18:12 (permalink)
    Rod building is kinda like fly tying.  You don't get into it to save money unless high volume.  After the initial expense of tools (not many for simple building), the materials can be cheaper than assembled rods.  But, if like me, you find that upgrading grips, seats, guides, etc makes the rod just the way you want it.  Then once you add in the fancy stuff to customize, it comes out about the same as retail with a heck of a lot more sentimental value.  That is unless you're into really expensive brands.  Then I could see cutting quite a bit off retail by building yourself.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Building a fly rod 2011/11/29 00:51:17 (permalink)
    There is nothing like catching good fish on a fly you tyed and a rod you built. Aint nothing like it.....

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    Jump to: