Underwater camera

Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/22 10:59:41 (permalink)

Underwater camera

Looking for an inexpensive underwater camera. Does anyone use the cheaper ones or do they freeze up in the winter? Thinking of buying one of these:
http://www.basspro.com/FishTV-Plus-Underwater-Viewing-System-With-Battery/product/10215058/159589?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

6 Replies Related Threads

HaveJeepCanGo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Underwater camera 2011/11/22 13:47:43 (permalink)
    had one.  liked the handle/cord wrap.  no options for recording or whatever other than pointing at screen and snapping.  make sure you get the travel bag made for it.(extra $)  I lost a battery down a  hole shifting things around to land a big fish.  Harbor Freight sells a nice yellow unit one in a travel bag for pretty much same price, and you get your free LED flashlight when you use your nifty coupons.   the bag has plenty space for 2nd battery. It's not the most convenient for run and gun, but I just dump the wire & camera into a bucket and sort it all out when done, I love it.  Sharp image and plug-in options for recording if that's what you want.  I bought the extended store warranty so if anything does go wrong, I walk in and grab a new one, no questions asked.  don't think that's an option anywhere you can buy the fishtv.  the camera doesn't need to look like a fish in order to catch.  in fact, I always worried that a musky or big pike might make a big mistake and ruin my fun by snapping at the fishy looking camera.  tie a couple aquarium weeds to the camera cord near the bottom and it'll blend right in.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Underwater camera 2011/11/22 17:35:28 (permalink)
    I bought one from cabelas from the bargain cave I think it was just over a hundered bucks. Its been good to me but to be honest it only comes out with me when I take my kids otherwise I take the lowrance x67c with me. Its way faster and a lot less hassel.
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: Underwater camera 2011/11/23 08:38:19 (permalink)
    I just purchased the Aqua View Micro.Its reallycompact perfect for run and gun.I plan to drill lots of holes and then just drop the camera down take a quick looke if nothing there move to another till i fing structure weed or fish!!Should tkae some of the guess work out!The bigger cameras are too akward for that.You will spend more time playing with it getting it to work right than fishing!!!
    Also depending on were you fish water clarity has everything to do with what you will be able to see!Some lakes are real murky and its impossible to see anything, others like up at presque isle are gin clear and the cameras work great!!!

icenut(Bill)
    Denny Crane x2
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Underwater camera 2011/11/23 16:44:30 (permalink)
    i had a cabela's camera and i couldn't see anything on pymatuning, arthur, or wilhelm.  presque isle was another story.  you could see the perch inhale your jig before you ever felt the take.  problem was getting it positioned once the camera is down the hole.  i took it back and bought a showdown.  best fishing purchase i ever made.
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: Underwater camera 2011/11/24 09:58:17 (permalink)
    Denny,
    I did the same thing a few years ago took the aqua view scout back to cabelas.On most of our lakes its impossible to see. Presque Isle is the exception. Im not planning on using it to watch what im trying to catch.I going to try to use it for moving around and to try again i said try to find the best couple of holes, and set up there! just another tool im gona use to try to make my trips even more productive.The cameras have gotten much better.I actually dropped my probe into shenango a couple weeks ago to see if i could see anything and lo and behold i could see the bottom and a few weeds!!Im hoping during ice season it will be better, i will keep everyone posted if it works like i think it will.

icenut(Bill)
    B.HINES
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Underwater camera 2011/11/24 20:15:33 (permalink)
    Me and my uncle both bought the one at Harbor Frieght. We were both surprised on how great it works! Its only like $120. It masy not be as great as the others. But it definitely gets the job done for what we were looking for.
    Jump to: