Persistence and the Never Give Up.

Author
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/21 21:40:04 (permalink)

Persistence and the Never Give Up.

Haven't been here for awhile..Hello..still read but not commenting on much.

Second as some know, I hunt both states of Pa and Ohio.

So now thats said, I started hunting September 25th, first day of ohio, and Mixing in Pa hunts as well. Passing on a small seven in ohio around the 15th of october had me up until today questioning my season of ohio. And having missed a nice 8 point the second to last saturday of Pa, and 4 days later having a close encouter with another quality 8, and it being messed up with a squeaky trucking driving down the road...I almost had the craps of bowhunting...almost...I'm a stubborn kid and almost refuse to fail.

That leads to today November 21st. around 7 am in ohio. First morning I decide to hunt my backyard farmland. I saw him come out of a fence row into the cornfeild that I watch around first day light. I grunted just once and he stopped on a dime, looked my way and came into my thicket(sorry dad who was set up 60 yards on the edge of the corn where he was probably gonna walk by..)He Stood there for about a few minutes(which seemed like forever) just looking for the "buck" that grunted at him and then he took a few more steps to get into the opening I needed. I took a faster shot then I needed to, regardless my fault. Afer the shot, I wasn't quite sure where my arrow flew. It was still kinda gloomy out and I wasnt sure if I couldnt or just didnt see the arrow hit his chest, where I thought I was aiming.. So I Got down waited 20 minutes, IN THE RAIN..pouring...all morning...got my dad and went to the "impact" found white hair and the 'brown blood'(the not good)... so we backed out and left.

Came back around 2 pm, Found my arrow 5 feet from the impact where I had looked earlier without seeing it then. Started following trails into the thickets with no luck for sign of him running. Then after searching close we started making HUGE circles 500 yards out working back down wind and so on...on MY last ditch effort for the afternoon(4:30pm), I went back and started over. Walking to where I saw him last and told myself, I'm going to go further "this" way then I had the first time, and boy was I happy I went 20 yards further to see the unmistakable deer brown laying.

The shot was so to speak of better then I thought, I hit high, right on the second rib of the ribcage, center punched the liver and angled back towards the hind legs. I might have saw the arrow hit, if I was looking there when I shot instead of the "kill".
I had orginally thought the paunch(stomach)when I found "brown". Regardless bad hit, but made it a more killing shot and better for the animals recovery. I would bet if we bumped him on on a what I thought had happened I would have never found him.

He only ended up running about 150 yards, the woods is uber thick and mostly crawled in the down position. kinda like walking into a briar feild but worse. You really cant see 20 yards in any direction, so it was important making tight circles in the thickets and on/near deer trails. Also the feilds around my thicket are briar feilds and more tangles so I literally was searching for my needle in a hay stack.

I am very happy to recover this animal. and proud that I never gave up.
Thanks For Looking fella's, and good luck to those who havent scored yet.

Diamond Black Ice Bow 68#
Rocket Wolverine 3P 75grain broadheads
20 yard shot

Classic 8 Point
180 Dressed out on the scale.
post edited by Bull Lifter - 2011/11/25 03:48:30

16 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/21 21:45:02 (permalink)
    Super buck.  Been there and done that. Know the emotions involved.  Congrats on the recovery and the fine harvest.

My rifle is a black rifle
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/21 21:50:40 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you stuck with it and recovered a fine buck.. Congrats !!!
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/21 22:36:41 (permalink)
    Can you believe he suck this deer off me? 50 yards and coming right to me,then I hear a grunt! Swamp buck turns into the woods,then the smack of arrow wacking deer then deer crashing away.To make a long story short,back off on marginal hits and do yourself a favor.I learned the hard way 5 years ago in the same Ohio swamp and lost the biggest deer of my life a true 160 plus deer.I still have nightmares of that hunt.I was 40 yards away from his buck when he found him.We walk through some of the god nastiest stuff you could ever find. After thinking it all over in our minds again,we said this is the place that he had it be in crawling on hands and knees and swamp water up to my knees( so much for 9 inch gortex boots.) A great ending,and I'm happy for my son. But next please center punch the cage,I'm getting way to old for these type tracking jobs.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 06:05:58 (permalink)
    Nice Buck Bull,That has happened to (Almost) every archer AT one time or another. Putting up that kind of a fight to find a deer on a loose shot is very honorable. And yes I have been there also. Great going Dave
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 06:19:13 (permalink)
    Sweet!!
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2124
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 06:39:58 (permalink)
    That's a GIANT! How wide is the outside spread?
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 07:11:17 (permalink)
    Great Buck Bull, he has some really neat characteristics. I love the dark top of his face, it would be worth posing him so that it can be shown off
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 08:15:52 (permalink)
    Little Bulls sleeping,but HIS SWAMP BUCK does have some neat suff going on,the G2's are spiraled,left ear has a 4 in tear down the middle but lays perfect,note the big hairless V on his side(my guess that he went through maybe a hole in a fence and rub it daily. He has a big wide face and that classic roman nose.He died with his eyes shut so I know he live a while after Bull shot him,so I'm glad we backed out.Also note his legs are wet and have the swamp mud past his knees.I dind't even kill this deer and I'm still pump about the whole deal.We really didn't do alot of taping him last night but a quick in the semi dark driveway put him at 20 outside and 17 something inside,G2's over 9.We already got a spot on the wall.It was a VERY TOUGH RECOVERY,not one drop of blood to go follow this deer just stuck with deer trails and try to look for a huge tracks(but very hard in THE SWAMP.I (WE) feel very BLESSED and DAMM lucky to find this SWAMP BUCK.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 10:31:22 (permalink)
    Nice buck for sure, great job !
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 11:41:21 (permalink)
    Great Job!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 13:57:22 (permalink)
    Great buck Bull!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 16:24:00 (permalink)
    How old is that buck, 3.5 4.5 ?
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 17:12:18 (permalink)
    thanks guys.
    I haven't got a clue on the age yet... hes got my puzzled. Ohio is strange, i shot a 200lbs dressed 2.5 year old..in october before. Now its a good month into the rut for a more mature buck to be runned down of body fat and this deer doesnt not look like the 200 pound type deer to me to have that "body mass" to guess its age. Thats just going on body size though every deer is different in that aspect. But on the hoof i guessed him at 3.5

when i take him to the shop i'll ask him to save the skull for me, hopefully he wont lose it. so i can atleast get a look at the TeeF. But yer guess is as good as mine, im guessing no less then 3.5 and no more then 4.5
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/22 19:22:15 (permalink)
    Noice buck!  Thank OH for letting the archery season run straight through.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/25 03:50:11 (permalink)
    He ended up going 180 dressed, and my guess is zero percent body fat just about.

I'm going to go grab his lower jaw i think friday or saturday. I hope to anyway, im Curious to see what they look like.
    brett b
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Persistence and the Never Give Up. 2011/11/25 20:09:04 (permalink)
    Heck of a buck Bull. Gona look nice on the wall.

HEAVEN=LIFE,KIDS AND FLY FISHING
    Jump to: