how do you carry your climber and all your junk?

Author
saltydog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 286
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/19 21:25:14 (permalink)

how do you carry your climber and all your junk?

I picked up a climbing stand the other day. I'm gonna replace the cheapo backstraps with milspec shoulder straps and a kidney pad (molle modification).

Do you guys lash your bow and backpack right to the stand?

6 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: how do you carry your climber and all your junk? 2011/11/19 21:49:18 (permalink)
    Always just tied my pack to the stand and carried my bow. You can keep an eye on the bow and your pins while you're carrying it, you could catch your pins on branches etc. and not realize it otherwise. It's hard enough to get through thick brush with just the stand on your back. Which stand did you get?
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: how do you carry your climber and all your junk? 2011/11/19 22:03:13 (permalink)
    Good call on protecting your pins.

I got a summit viper off Craigslist, brand new for real cheap. It's pretty heavy at 28 pounds. I'm taking it on a test run in the morning.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: how do you carry your climber and all your junk? 2011/11/19 22:39:02 (permalink)
    A viper shouldn't be 28 pounds unless there's extra stuff with it.   It is a big stand and you'll find it bulky.   Any summit is not fun carrying thru the thick stuff but you'll be hard pressed to find a more comfortable stand.   Good move on getting carrying straps.  I'm a minimum guy; I don't like taking more than I need.  When you put the climber on the platform, you'll see a nice "hole" there you can put your stuff.  That is where I usually put my coveralls, wrapped with a bungee and held on by another bungee.  The extra bungee is nice for holding the seat out of the way while climbing and hanging quiver, etc.. while on stand.  Only time i don't carry my bow is when my backpack is on.. then it's strapped to it.  I have a fanny like pack, that straps around my body and is out front.  It gets bulky at times but I haven't figured out a better way.  As with any system, you'll find what works and it'll become second nature with usage.  One note is the more loose and farther away from you your "stuff" is on your stand from your back, the heavier it will feel.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: how do you carry your climber and all your junk? 2011/11/20 23:00:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

A viper shouldn't be 28 pounds unless there's extra stuff with it.   It is a big stand and you'll find it bulky.   Any summit is not fun carrying thru the thick stuff but you'll be hard pressed to find a more comfortable stand.   Good move on getting carrying straps.  I'm a minimum guy; I don't like taking more than I need.  When you put the climber on the platform, you'll see a nice "hole" there you can put your stuff.  That is where I usually put my coveralls, wrapped with a bungee and held on by another bungee.  The extra bungee is nice for holding the seat out of the way while climbing and hanging quiver, etc.. while on stand.  Only time i don't carry my bow is when my backpack is on.. then it's strapped to it.  I have a fanny like pack, that straps around my body and is out front.  It gets bulky at times but I haven't figured out a better way.  As with any system, you'll find what works and it'll become second nature with usage.  One note is the more loose and farther away from you your "stuff" is on your stand from your back, the heavier it will feel.

My Summit Bullet Pack Packers don't snag up at all. They fold flat. Leave those back packs at home. Use the side pockets for all the crap you guys carry. Get a set of good padded straps and throw the standard straps away, they cut into you and are junk.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: how do you carry your climber and all your junk? 2011/11/21 09:22:01 (permalink)
    Yeah, I don't use a "backpack" either. I do have a fanny pack and b/w that and all the pockets on my cargo pants and archers jacket, I have plenty of storage for the stuff I need, even for an all day sit. With the fanny pack facing back, it provides a nice place for the stand to rest and it keeps the summit cables from bumping my calfs when I am hiking in.

I imagine that Viper that's 28#'s is probably the steel version, not the aluminum. I would have upgraded straps too.

I have actually shot deer while walking out of the woods with my Summit Bushmaster on my back. I'll never strap my bow to my stand or carry it on my back.
    brett b
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: how do you carry your climber and all your junk? 2011/11/25 20:19:22 (permalink)
    Got pack attached to my tree stand. Its a smaller pack but does the job, it stays on my stand. The bow is always carried. Like eyes I to have shot deer going to and from my stand sites.

HEAVEN=LIFE,KIDS AND FLY FISHING
    Jump to: