Author
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2672
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/17 09:17:09 (permalink)

Ice Rods - Questions

Okay.

I am into these spring tips now...I ordered some ice blanks to make for this season, I want to know how and what is the best method of attaching these spring tips to your rod?  I see from HT Tackle there is a clip on method, but they also sell a model that has a spring tip integrated into the rod permanently....see picture below

^ This rod has a spring tip tied in under the second guide.  The guide is 90 degrees from the zero axis, much like a spiral wrap.  What do you guys think about this?

Anybody have and or do it this way?  Is there a better way to get these on or a method of attaching them that you prefer over one or the other??  I need some input....

19 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 09:23:06 (permalink)
    What about getting a micro tip top and positioning it 180 degrees opposite between the last guide and tip top to act as a holder to put the spring pole in?  then attaching it someway though there to extend off the tip.?
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 09:42:38 (permalink)
    Loomis, that's the same type spring that's on the old schooley rods.
    It looks in the pic like it's on the bottom of the rod (maybe not, hard to tell..almost looks like the eyes aren't lined up) - but they go on top. That's why I've found them hard to use with 'normal' rods that have the eyes on bottom. line goes through eyes under rod & has to go up through spring & back down through the end eye.
    They work ok, and are somewhat adjustable by bending the spring up or down according to jig wt.
    Could be that HT rod has the eyes set that way to fix this prob. I've never seen that rod, so can't say for sure.

I like the st croix & the yourbobbersdown ones I linked in the pm yesterday.
    They just seem more sensitive & easier to get adjusted correctly.

Here's another type, the marmooska, similar to the one you posted, but a bit different.
    it just 'snaps' onto the rod behind the end eye & sticks off the front with the line coming out the first eye & through the little circle wire.
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/accessories/ht-enterprises-marmooska-spring-bobbers

And then there are these:
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/accessories/ht-enterprises-slab-stopper-spring-bobbers
    Don't like them for a few reasons,
    one; you have to thread the line through it = PITA
    two; they ice up pretty easily
    three; not really adjustable

There's a ton of different spring bobbers/strike indicators...
    everyone has their preference, I don't know that any stand head & shoulders above the rest.
    As for attaching them...I'm no rod builder.
    The only time I put one on like you posted on, I just used sewing thread & super glue.

hopahelpr

post edited by Pork - 2011/11/17 09:48:14

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 11:09:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Pork

I like the st croix & the yourbobbersdown ones I linked in the pm yesterday.
    They just seem more sensitive & easier to get adjusted correctly.

I agree with this. In addition to being more sensitive and adjustable, they are extremely ice proof. I was a big fan of the S.C. Legend rods, but after breaking 4 of them over the last couple of years at $50 a pop...I'm done. Their blanks are just too brittle for ice applications, but the real magic of those rods were the spring bobber setup. Find a way to duplicate that on a durable rod and I'll buy a bunch from you Loomis. BTW S.C. sell the spring bobbers, just not the mounts. The thing is, with that type of spring bobber, you don't really need that sensitive of a rod...you don't want a broom handle, but you don't need a super soft tip either.

I know a lot of guys use the flat spring steel bobbers or the HT "plug the last guide" style...but I can't stand either kind. Give me the St. Croix type spring bobber, or ones like from yourbobbersdown with a better mounting system, or I'll go without.

I've been using some tapered glass "noodle" ice rods with a good backbone the last couple of years that I absolutely love. This eliminates the need for a spring bobber to a large degree.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 11:47:28 (permalink)
    I see this setup now, and I also see that the ST. Croix spring bobbers are available.  I have deduced from my findings that this is the setup that is preferred the most, and exactly what I figured.

As far as being able to duplicate that, no problem.  Just a tip that is set 180 degrees off the top and wrapped/epoxied over.  I am sure a grommet can be had at Lowes or maybe even comes with the ice kit, I am going to call St. Croix to find out.
    LOVETOSHOOT
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 11:53:48 (permalink)
    If you can build it like the legend with a little more durability, when can I order?
    To quote and old movie...If you build it...
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 11:55:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

I see this setup now, and I also see that the ST. Croix spring bobbers are available.  I have deduced from my findings that this is the setup that is preferred the most, and exactly what I figured.

As far as being able to duplicate that, no problem.  Just a tip that is set 180 degrees off the top and wrapped/epoxied over.  I am sure a grommet can be had at Lowes or maybe even comes with the ice kit, I am going to call St. Croix to find out.

I wonder if you can retro-fit existing rods?

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 11:58:41 (permalink)
    Just got off the phone with St. Croix

Here is what they do.

First, that is a proprietary design by some Ice Legend from Wiscannsan, (whOkaRes).  You can buy the spring separate however not the grommet.  I have about 3000 different ones at work that will work for this.  The guide on top is a 2.5-3.0 MM ring which the grommet is fitted through, and then the tube of the spring is fitted into that snugly in order to be adjustable.

This is more than do-able.  Very simple in fact from the other systems I have seen that utilize a permanent spring integrated on the rod...looks like I found my system.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 12:02:13 (permalink)
    Does anybody have a St. Croix spring bobber handy and a set of calipers?  I'd like to know the OD of the spring tube that fits into the grommet.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 12:53:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

Does anybody have a St. Croix spring bobber handy and a set of calipers?  I'd like to know the OD of the spring tube that fits into the grommet.

Not on me, but I can check it when I get home.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 13:12:17 (permalink)
    Awesome, please let me know.  I want to try to find a grommet.
    LOVETOSHOOT
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 13:50:11 (permalink)
    PM Bogeyjoker, he always gets the alerts for his PM's.  I know he has several SC springs.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 14:50:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LOVETOSHOOT

PM Bogeyjoker, he always gets the alerts for his PM's.  I know he has several SC springs.

Yep...plenty of broken SC rods with useless spring bobbers! However, I don't have a set of calipers.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 16:19:55 (permalink)
    Bogey

If you put one of those not-in-use spring bobbers in the mail to me that would be a HUGE help.

EDIT:  Got the OD of the St. Croix spring tube. Looking for a grommet and taking a few guides w/ me to get a good fit.  Will post results.
    post edited by Loomis - 2011/11/17 16:48:42
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 17:20:08 (permalink)
    I've been using Bic lighter springs for 20 years or more.
    stevepf
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/17 19:44:47 (permalink)
    I've used the bic springs also,I just wrap electrical tape on one end til it fits snugly in the rod tip.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
    Have A Crappie Day
    Electricman56
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/18 00:17:22 (permalink)
    I have several like the one you show except they have a plastic end that snaps over the rod body and are glued on (normally)... they are easier to apply than the type you show, I've had to reattach mine a time or two after rough transport and a little epoxy is all you need. I don't really know if they came on my rods or if I bought them and put them on (I've been ice fishing a long time and don't remember)! I like them the best of all I've seen and tried because you can bend them to have more or less play before they hit the front eye... when jigging they give a nice tap - tap - tap which I believe helps to attract fish at times and they don't freeze up any more that the front eye of a rod does if it gets wet... easy to clear up if it does. The one thing that is negative about a spring bobber like this is it is susceptable to movement from the wind under moderate to heavy windy days and that can make it look like a light bite.

Good Luck!

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/11/18 10:50:28 (permalink)
    I like these new little indicators that tip. They give a flash when there's any irregular movement on the tip got off cabelas. Only problem is sometimes they give false alarms
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/12/14 11:52:00 (permalink)
    Well time to revisit this thread.

I have been messing around w/ the tip section board member Pork sent me to try as a prototype.  After I took the guides off (which were cemented on worse than anything I've torn down)  I installed a handle and reel seat on this rod as it is a bit heavier than a normal ice blank would be.

TroutAbout lent me his spring tip to get the grommet/guide situation figured out.  The grommet that came w/ the st. croix model is a little soft for my liking and not as easily adjusted.  I have different degree of density grommets at work, and tinkered around with 6 of them until I found the perfect match.  Using an ALPS size 8 guide was the ticket, the grommet fits in there perfectly with no play.  The grommet density I found in this picture is the easiest to adjust, compared to the st. croix model it is much easier.  I believe the reason is that the st. croix grommet has rounded ends, which fold back into the spring when you are pulling it out.  The one I have chosen uses a flat face, and is of higher density, allowing the ID to remain consistent and the springs to pass easily past them.  I will take a youtube video of the adjustment and post it back here this afternoon if I can, if not very soon.

Spring Tip setup.

Will post the rest of the rod as I am going to begin wrapping/finishing.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Rods - Questions 2011/12/14 15:30:24 (permalink)
    Schweet! Lookin good Adam.
    Makes me feel less-bad about breaking the rod knowing I'll still get some use out of it.
    the 'eyes & steel will be in trouble...if we ever get some winter.

Jump to: