The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa)

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/23 01:00:18 (permalink)

The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa)

Came home from work Thursday excited about the prospect of having an entire weekend of doing nothing but fishing. Just one more day...

And at 10:00 that night, I started feeling "achy." You know the type - joints hurt, back feels tense...thought I was simply coming down with some Bug du Jour (my wife's office is a veritable Petrie dish). I'm no wuss when it comes to being sick, but I needed some rest. So I decided to double-down on some NyQuil and sleep through it.

An hour later, I found myself in the fetal position, shiverring uncontrollably, writhing in pain, and literally pleading with my wife, "Please don't let me die." By 1:00, death was almost welcome. Sparing you the obscene details, I lay in bed Friday, now disgusted and dejected at seeing my "Too-Cool Weekend" literally and figuratively flushed down the pisadu.

Woke up Saturday...feeling improved, but with a lingering touch of febrility. I could handle it. Besides, this was MY weekend, dangit. I'm going somewhere. Didn't feel like dealing with crowds and walking to find solitude, so I abandoned Erie headed to the ANF. I knew I was off to a bad start when 20 minutes into my trip, I realized I'd left the camera at home... Having lost the "good traffic" to my blunder, I rode the wagon train of orange hats and pumpkin shoppers until I reached my destination.

Difficult, technical, and just what I've come to expect from an ANF stream. Every twist and turn looked "fishier" than the last. I came upon several fish, but the day would ultimately belong to them. The one fish I caught, a chunky son of a gun, gave my fiberglass rod all that he could before I got him to hand. He looked like he'd seen some better days himself.

Though the air grew cooler I could feel the trace remnants of my fever breaking and I decided to head back to my vehicle...did a little litter control along the way...

(Canadian...for the trout with discerning taste )

Checked out another piece of water before I called it quits...by then I was well-chilled, and decided to fire up my portable stove and make myself a hot meal before making the trip home.

Uberflysnob finishing shot, as adjusted to conditions:

Sunday's agenda: Church, and Sleep

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

5 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa) 2011/10/23 06:40:06 (permalink)
    Always nice to hit some new water.
    Hope the sickness passes quickly..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa) 2011/10/23 11:53:38 (permalink)
    Glad to see you got out despite the bug... nice fish and looks like nice water to enjoy. The same bug went through at our place the past week... he got it first and was nice enough to share with me, so weekend plans were adjusted accordingly, as yours were... unfortunately ours didn't involve fishing

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa) 2011/10/23 19:41:31 (permalink)
    nice fish dan.. the ANF has relieved me many a time, for a while anyhow, of flu like symptoms.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2515
    RE: The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa) 2011/10/28 10:58:17 (permalink)
    What rod were you useing? It appears to look like one that I have that I bought about 40 or so years ago. Anyway, nice post. Hope you recovered from your recent bout of sickness.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: The Flu on the Fly (and Vice-Versa) 2011/10/28 11:25:20 (permalink)
    6'6" Shakespeare Presidential Glass rod from the early 60's.

Or as my son likes to call it, "The Vintage."

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Jump to: