90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 04:13:34 (permalink)
I have to agree with MM on this one...

KQDC Data = Junk that is the only thing that is certain about that info

As he pointed out the check stations were mis-managed and mis-used by successful hunters bringing deer from other areas in to "screw-up" the numbers for that area....

In the study area itself it is like comparing apples to oranges

Most of the stats for the KQDC study area are from 2 seperate areas... not the entire areas as a whole... it's divided into at least two different/seperate areas of the study and the results of the two areas are like night and day... even as far as habitat and hunter participation goes...and I am not sure which area S-10's figures are from ( it even states FROM THAT AREA ) but rest assured the other area has a different rate... one way or the other ...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/13 04:14:46
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 05:39:19 (permalink)
To start Doc--read the data and you won't embarass yourself again, and again.
If you don't like the KQDA data show me some research from the PGC-------OH WAIT they don't have the money to conduct the research because they are spending it on non-game species.

Doc, you have posted a couple dozen buck photos over the years and as I recall I have busted your balls about AR working in your area because nearly all are scrubs.

How many 8 points have you shot in the last 10 years.

The research from Virginia shows the state average for 2-1/2 yo buck is 7 points.
The research that Esox posted here from Tennesee shows the statewide average for 2-1/2 yo bucks is a 7 point and explaines how well our two states compare
Chris Rosenberry stated that as a result of AR the statewide average for all bucks HARVESTED is 7 points and we can't even shoot the smaller ones.
Sorry if you want to keep dreaming about Alts big 10 point behind every tree. I guess he really was a good salesman.
post edited by S-10 - 2011/10/13 05:52:05
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 05:55:08 (permalink)
I never said a thing about the age and size of Pa deer. in this thread.... If the average is a 7 point GREAT... I remember when it was probably a scrubby 4 pointer that was 1.5 years old...

I simply wanted to show folks that may not know that the stats you posted about the ANF area study has other results too.. those that you posted were for one area ... I did not see where you posted the results for the area that is hard to get to for hunters .... are you saying that areas has the same results ???? I don't think so .... the harvest from that reas is much lower to start with..

All I have been saying for 10+ years is that there is more opportunity to harvest bigger deer than we grew up haresting for the AVERAGE Pa deer hunter........

I never heard or believed Dr. Alt was implying everyone would be shooting bucks like the 10 pointer he held up... that was "your take" from his lectures...

It's the old "more AND bigger bucks" verus "more bigger bucks" debate we have had for years now...

as for Va, Tenn, Texas, etc, etc .. I could care less == those areas have a total diferent habitat, number of hunters, different season lengths, different winters, and of course a different number of deer...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/13 05:58:07
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 06:05:55 (permalink)

You need to do somethiing about your memory if you have to ask that question AGAIN !!!

and just how many times do you have to post that question before you know the answer ???

I have never been a rack hunter... when I go out it's to shoot a deer.. that means the first legal deer I see is going down... it is what it is with me.. like it or not.. that's my "style" and my reason for hunting deer.. to shoot one....

funny thing is = my average rack size for my hunting years would only be a 6 pointer.... and I have yet to harvest an AR buck ...but I usually get my two deer every year and that's what my goal is every year.... I could care less how many points it does or does not have... heck as far as I am concerned they could go back to a buck being legal if it has a 3 inch antler...

but I liked the idea of having the average Pa deer hunter having the opportunity to harvest an older deer that would thus probably have a larger rack than those old bigwood scrubs and spikes we all used to shoot and have no shame in doing....... so I supported AR and still do
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 10:49:24 (permalink)
I have to agree with MM on this one...
quote:

KQDC Data = Junk that is the only thing that is certain about that info

As he pointed out the check stations were mis-managed and mis-used by successful hunters bringing deer from other areas in to "screw-up" the numbers for that area....

What you guys are ignoring is that it doesn't matter if the deer were from outside the area or from the better or worse section of the study area. It's simple math where you survey a random number of bucks, count the total points of all the bucks, and divide the total points by the total number of deer.
I'am sure the PGC also has some of those numbers from the rest of the state but they just choose not to publicize them.
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 16:11:30 (permalink)
I like to consume what I take thats why I hunt. Dont kill critters for the fun of it! I do not enjoy eating old bucks so why should I buy a Pennsylvania hunting license? Thanks AR HR DPSM 1-B wont be buying one anytime soon. Gone to Ohio   
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 17:35:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

You need to do somethiing about your memory if you have to ask that question AGAIN !!!

and just how many times do you have to post that question before you know the answer ???

I have never been a rack hunter... when I go out it's to shoot a deer.. that means the first legal deer I see is going down... it is what it is with me.. like it or not.. that's my "style" and my reason for hunting deer.. to shoot one....

funny thing is = my average rack size for my hunting years would only be a 6 pointer.... and I have yet to harvest an AR buck ...but I usually get my two deer every year and that's what my goal is every year.... I could care less how many points it does or does not have... heck as far as I am concerned they could go back to a buck being legal if it has a 3 inch antler...

but I liked the idea of having the average Pa deer hunter having the opportunity to harvest an older deer that would thus probably have a larger rack than those old bigwood scrubs and spikes we all used to shoot and have no shame in doing....... so I supported AR and still do

So you only hunt to kill and kill what's easy. I'm thinking that RSB has you on the NOT A REAL HUNTER list.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 19:43:12 (permalink)
Never said I hunt to ONLY kill.. ask Dars.. we totally have different approachs to the goals of going out hunting...

I love every minute I spend in the woods looking for deer.. I want to put meat on the table.. that's my goal.. I enjoy the hunt and want to be successful.. and I do both of those every year.. year in and year out for over 50 years now.... and will quit when I die... not sooner..

After I started archery hunting I often passed on deer in archery season... I knew I could get one in rifle season.. but often did take on with a compound if I chose to.. never any pressure to do so though...

even last year I passed the first few times out with the crossbow at deer well within range..

Don't think I ever passed on a rifle season ethical shot (in my book) though and have no intention of starting to do that now...

In my mind passing on a shot gives me that same feeling it did 30 years ago.. pass on it and the next guy down the line is going to kill it OR you may not be succesful at an opportunity for another deer...

I hunt because I enjoy the hunt and am successful year after year at harvesting a deer.....

what is easy for some is difficult for others... killing deer in the area I live is easy.. there are lots of deer, has not always been that way though as I have posted in the past

but now .. I still respect the hell out of those guys that have to REALLY work to be successful...

don't hate me just because it is easy for me to kill deer year after year where I live ....

It may not have anything to do with me.. it may be the area !!!....

But I have always tried to refer to my area and what I knows is here ... BUT I realize it is not that way everywhere in the state...

some deer hunters really do have to put in time and energy to be succesful year after year...

but there are still MANY MANY MANY hunters succesful year after year in many areas of Pa .. inspite of the complainers trying to say that is not the case..
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 21:28:18 (permalink)
First you say
when I go out it's to shoot a deer.. that means the first legal deer I see is going down... it is what it is with me..

Then you say "even last year I passed the first few times out with the crossbow at deer well within range.."

Then again you quote " killing deer in the area I live is easy.. there are lots of deer,"

But yet you have killed very few including bucks. Dr Trout have you been hitting the bottle again because you seem to talk in circles ?

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 22:36:32 (permalink)
for 38 years a real hunter, My Hoyt is real , My 12 Ga.and 30.06 are real also,My compass is real,so are my climber stands, all that said ( I'm real ) tired of the last ten years  
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/13 22:59:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

for 38 years a real hunter, My Hoyt is real , My 12 Ga.and 30.06 are real also,My compass is real,so are my climber stands, all that said ( I'm real ) tired of the last ten years  

LOL I'm thinking RSB needs to "GET REAL "
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/14 10:25:11 (permalink)
here we go again guys..

Then you say "even last year I passed the first few times out with the crossbow at deer well within range.."
Then again you quote " killing deer in the area I live is easy.. there are lots of deer,"
But yet you have killed very few including bucks. Dr Trout have you been hitting the bottle again because you seem to talk in circles ?

If you would take a minute and read the whole thread and stop trying so hard to pick out parts so you can post yet another insult.. you would see I was talking about archery season.. see the part where I say when I started archery hunting.. and last year I post about passing in archery season.......gheezz

I do not and have not passed good clean kill shots in rifle.. why would I ???? I want meat for the table .... Duhhhhh...

I am not sure what you consider very few....one every year for over 30 years and two a year many years since extra tags have been available .. I do not have any desire to hunt anywhere else..
so IMHO if you feel 30 deer harvests in 23 years (many of those years were one and done) within 10 miles of my home is not very many --- so be it --- I never asked what you thought about it... others may think that's pretty good... I for one could care less what your personal opinions are and just because they are different than mine does not mean you have to post them everytime I reply somewhere on this board...

as for the bottle comment.. I'll leave that one for the moderators to deal with...

again to the rest of you.. SORRY .. but I AGAIN just wanted to defend myself agaisnt his continued attacks...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/10/14 10:33:00
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/14 10:44:07 (permalink)
Relax trout.  Have a smoke.  

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/14 11:02:37 (permalink)
Thanks silver.. just did ..

Now it's off to work to cover for the owner at the hardware so he can celebrate his anniversary with his wife

STILL POURING down rain here... my front yard is looking like it may be fishable tomorrow if you want to give it a try

LOL LOL LOL
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/17 14:32:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

That is a good read. In the area around my house I have the following
2 8pt 2-1/2
1 7pt "
1 6pt 3-1/2
3 6pt 1-1/2
1 5pt 1-1/2
1-4pt 1-1/2
1 2pt 1-1/2
There may be a few more drifters but I have a good handle on the regulars. This year is above average for number of points on my 1-1/2yo.

How do you manage to pull teeth from live deer like that? That is truly amazing!
post edited by CrossForkWookie - 2011/10/17 14:33:20
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: 90 % of bucks killed under year & a half old 2011/10/17 14:47:12 (permalink)
Don't need to when you watch them grow up. I won't target these either. The 3-1/2yo 6 is a deformed 4x2 and was a deformed 4x2 at 2-1/2 that broke half the 4 side before gun season. I fed four of them all winter.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: