Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing

Author
mjh212
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/28 23:09:12 (permalink)

Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing

For those of you who are curious about center pin fishing, Iwas too until my last trip the Erie on Friday the 23rd.  (which by the way was by far the best I have ever seen on any of the creeks from about 2pm till dark.)  Before that fantastic few hours I ran across a couple of guys fishing a center pin rig.  On the way up from Pittsburgh, my friend's cousin tried to explain the setup to me.  After I ran into these guys I asked them what they were fishing with.  Basically it is a really long rod (like 12') with what looks like a fly reel attached.  this reel has no drag whatsoever and is called a center pin because there is basically a center pin with what looks like a regular (non large arbor) fly reel rotating around the pin.  From what I saw this set up relies totally upon a large bobber.  When I say bobber please don't think strike indicator.  This rig has to keep whatever is below the water suspended above the bottom of the stream or it will snag like any other rig.  The float distances of 100yds is only possible because you are fishing with a bobber.  Now granted by now you are right in thinking that I am a fly fishing snob, and if your looking to catch the most fish then by all means friend buy a minnow bucket and get it over with.  This rig may be effective, but for the price of a good setup I would rather mend my line and stick to what I got....

Speaking of lines, wish me good luck I am heading out early thursday morning, snowstorms be ****ed tight lines to all!!

20 Replies Related Threads

18andlife
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/11/29 08:55:43 (permalink)
    Would you be the guy on upper elk that came up and asked me about float fishing on Friday? Float fishing does not depend on "a large bobber". There are many different types of floats, lines, shot patterns that can be chosen from to float effectively. If you would have looked at my setup you would realize that it doesnt "snag like any other rig". What I had was a 4 ft shot line to the required depth and then a fluoro leader after a barrell swivel. This lets the fly or bait be presented before the rest of the rig. The centerpin is just an effective method of getting a drag free drift, to make the presentation as natural as possible. I was using a larger float because I was trotting the faster water and wanted to make sure I knew what my rig was doing underneath the float. Hence the hookups on every other drift. If you would have looked closely, you would have seen that the top of the float was large so that I could easily tell how much I wanted to trot it and the suspended portion of the float was very skinny. I can effectively drift flys or bait. I was using sacks that day because the water was up and muddy and other the fly(...ehh i mean indie) fisherman werent having too much luck. I have never used minnows but Im sure many are quite successful with them also.

I hope this clears up your misunderstanding.
    JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/11/29 16:46:07 (permalink)
    I was watching a couple guys fishing yesterday with centerpin equipment.  Seemed like they were doing pretty well, but I noticed a couple things....

They seemed to have a heavier mono line, with a leader tied in at the float.  Is this normal?

They made very long drifts, which to me seems like an advantage, but wouldn't you break off alot of fish because of slack line?  (Admittedly, I have never seen this done until yesterday....)

Do center pin anglers use only bait?

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/11/29 17:08:37 (permalink)
    You always fish a heavier main line w a barrel swivel below the float (not a bobber) and a lighter lead.  A bobber is what you fish for bluegill with, a float is tool that detects strikes and keep the fly, egg sac, jig or whatever in the fishes zone for as long as possible and with a natural drift.
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/11/29 19:05:31 (permalink)
    Wow alot of people getting involved with pin fishing. Avid everyone has there own ways of setting up there centerpins. personally i fish mine with no barrel swivel at all and do very well. If your fishing the tribs in Erie you honestly don't need more than 8# main line. I like to run some flouor off that about 2 ft. But see alot of guys think just because you have a centerpin you catch more fish not true. It's the person using the pin and the stick,there is alot of skill involved. If your new to centerpin fishing your going to learn hell i have been centerpin fishing now for about 6/1/2 years, and still learning new things. I think i have become pretty good with my pin i do believe u do have a advantage because of the drag free drifts but you have to know how to have a drag free drift to begin with. I love using sacks when the water is up high and of color, but little on the green and clear side i love fishing a glo bug with a nymph it's  a deadly pattern 4 me. also it's really nice free floating Minnie's. What a blast when the fish are on the Minnie's,single eggs. But the main key is to keep your rod up high and the line off the water. But there is alot more to it,  just than shot placement etc so many different types of floats out there,,,,,best thing to do is get together with someone that has been pinning for some years and teach you the tricks of the trade. Plus i even use mine in the rivers,ponds,and trout streams back home....never get enough practice. But once you get the hang of it more and more it's hard to beat even on the bad days of fishing the mighty chrome gods. I can't remember a day that i haven't been in the 30's this year!!! Even on the bad days. Hell my buddy was a fly fisherman and i converted him after he seen what it can do. Now i have been teaching him,,,And now i am going to have a hard time keeping up too him....Least it will make it more fun.....But hey if anyone would  like to get together and do some pinning feel free drop me Aline will hook up some steel........thanks.
    post edited by centerpin_drift - 2007/11/29 19:07:59
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/11/29 21:06:38 (permalink)
    I have more luck with the pin then what I had fishing the same baits on a sprinning rod, drift combo. The swivel is nice because when fishing minnows or sacs in the current you can get line twists easy and with a Flurocesent main line it makes a lead for me a necessity.  I  dont have the big hook up numbers that alot of center pinners get most days i average anywhere from 15 to 20 which ends up with about half or more landed, but to me its worth the 2 hr drive just to fish for these fish, of course there have been those days where it was incredible fishing.  I'm bringing a buddy this weekend I got into fly fishing last year for his first steelhead trip.  Hopefully one or two will end up on the end of his line.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/12/01 22:02:12 (permalink)
    Whether i'm using a so-called strike indicator on fly rod setup or a so-called float on a spinning rod setup, it's still a bobber. There's no need to Church it up.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/12/01 22:38:26 (permalink)
    I know one of these days I need to get Bughawk to get me hooked on pin fishing  LOL    {pun intended}  LOL

What ya say Bug  wanna show me the ropes????

CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/12/02 09:33:07 (permalink)
    Skip,

I may have a free day this monthto head to Erie.  If I'm out that way I'll share a drift with you as long as there is some good flow.

Scott
    redcanoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/12/03 20:45:13 (permalink)
    There are lots of places on the internet to learn more about it:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=great+lakes+center+pin+fishing

You can use flies or bait. You can use a float or bottom-bounce.
    The main point of it is that it's fun to fight a fish on this kind of reel.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2007/12/04 11:40:52 (permalink)
    I fished with a friend of mine this fall on the Oswego River,I used a noodle& spin & he had a centerpin&float rod.We used the same egg sacks,out of the same container and he hooked 2 to my 1,consistenltly.I bought a pin setup and what a difference,hook up's are much more.Until you try it,don't knock it.It has it's learning curve like anything else,but,done right,you can seriously put a dent in the fish population.
    the_lip_ripper
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/01/02 09:44:26 (permalink)
    I used to only fly fish with fly's I tied myself. I looked down on those using bait and felt that it was cheating. I still will not use certain baits, (ex. minnies, maggots, skein, etc.) However, several friends of mine started using Pins on the Yough and I became quite interested. I picked one up (Okuma Sheffield and 13' Cortland Rod for $385) and was addicted right away.

There are many challenges involved that a non Pin fishermen would not understand. There is no manufactured drag. The skill required to land an 8 to 10 lb steely on 4 lb tippet relies completely on the fishermen. Sometimes you win the battle, sometimes you don't. Beyond drag, you learn very quickly how to read flow, understand split shot balancing, and how to fish your rig at different depths. Its a challenge from learning to cast to landing a fish.

However, once you understand the capabilities of a Pin, I feel it is the most effective weapon for trout or salmon. You drifts are natural. There is no half circle swing. Your 'bait' is doing whatever the water currents want it do. Your drifts are longer, which means you covering more water. Pin fishing is challenging, but rewarding.

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/01/02 20:29:37 (permalink)
    Rewarding to say the least.Fished the Salmon River with the pin for the first time this past weekend and what a blast fighting 12lb. & larger fish. I thought it was fun on Elk but the larger rivers are a blast.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/01/24 11:35:47 (permalink)
    look forward to fishing the yough this summer with the pin
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/01/27 11:28:53 (permalink)
    I remember my first trip to erie, I saw a guy using a pin, this was before it was the new wave. Immediately it caught my interest just by the pure size of the reel and how it just spun and gave that really long drift. Thats cool! Anywho, it was never enough for me to cough up the money to try it. Now if one of you guys hands me a rod to try someday sure ill give it a whirl. But the love for the fly rod will never let me put it down in favor of 30-40 fish days every time I fish. To me, the fishing is more then just having the ULTIMATE drag free drift. Its how well did I cast, how well did I choose where I wanted to cast, how well did I control the line after the cast that gave me that great drift. I dont look down on anyone who does it, thats your choice. But someone please explain to me how you can fish flies on it, have the fly infront of the indicator and the fish hold it long enough to set the hook? Ive caught many fish were I have just set the hook, just because in fast currents and caught fish, not lifted, not snagged, set the hook because trout are so quick sometimes we cannot react fast enough. If you doubt me watch a video of trout underwater feeding.... Feeding Lies is a great one. Throw in Joe H. Nymphing and listen to him talk about it. Now how in the world can the fly beat the indicator and you still know you had a strike...or...... are you missing a lot of fish you never knew you missed?
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/01/27 13:52:49 (permalink)
    hi jlh42581 sounds to me that you have never tried centerpin fishing. Once you do and get the hang of it it's hard to beat. Now there is a huge difference between dry fly and nymphing, Dry fly requires a fly rod hands down but nymphing  I'll nymph  all day and catch fish with a centerpin. With very few misses. And i love fishing prince nymphs and hare's ears my go to flys. I'll take my centerpin any day of the week when fishing the tribs in Erie over a fly rod. Any day you like to get together and fly rod vs centerpin let me know i am game.

Get the Drift !!!!!
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/01/28 03:46:20 (permalink)
    i never knew what those foreign guys were using that one easter a couple years back until i read this thread.they were hooking fish like crazy but landing very few.im pretty knew to steelhead fishing ive caught some but everyone else on the stream usualy does better than me.im just finally now going to try using floats and different baits other than minnows.ive always just drifted w/ split shot.
    thanks for all the info.someday i want to use the flyrod right now im getting to where i can catch the little stockies w/ it.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/02/09 17:26:38 (permalink)
    When using a center pin setup you have all the advantages.First off,your line forms a j in the water with the bait or fly leading the way,all the fish see is the prize.Second with the long rods and the line coming off the real at the right speed,your line is not touching the water.If there is 3 seams on the hole you can run the float on each seam .I can run each seam all the way STRAIGHT.No swing .When you swing you are leaving the seam.I cannot see a more effective way off fishing.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/02/09 20:29:36 (permalink)
    THERE IS NONE!
    LigonierA1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/02/23 08:58:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

....someone please explain to me how you can fish flies on it, have the fly infront of the indicator and the fish hold it long enough to set the hook? .... Now how in the world can the fly beat the indicator and you still know you had a strike...or...... are you missing a lot of fish you never knew you missed?

I too have watched pin crew absolutely hooking up 5:1 over myself and others.  It's impressive. 

Like Jeremy asked about, can one of you pin guys explain something to us fly guys?  I do alot of nymphing and it's a split second game.  Those fish are incredibly fast at taking and rejecting a nymph.   For a flyfisherman, that's pretty much the nymphing game, detecting the strike. 

Centerpinning, you're fishing the nymph downstream, ahead of the shot and float, correct? How the heck does that "take" get detected?  The second that fly is taken, the float continues drifting towards the fish, no?  Creating slack that won't pull the float under or otherwise indicate the take?  THis is what puzzles me as a flyfisherman, where we do so much upstream, short/tight line nymphing it's hard to wrap your head around an effective centerpin nymph presentation.  It seems like you'd have a zillion missed strikes? 

I suspect if I tried it a few times, I'd better understand.  That's true with most things.  Can someone elaborate on that a little? 

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: Center pin/"float fishing" vs fly fishing 2008/02/23 11:18:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LigonierA1

ORIGINAL: jlh42581

....someone please explain to me how you can fish flies on it, have the fly infront of the indicator and the fish hold it long enough to set the hook? .... Now how in the world can the fly beat the indicator and you still know you had a strike...or...... are you missing a lot of fish you never knew you missed?

I too have watched pin crew absolutely hooking up 5:1 over myself and others.  It's impressive. 

Like Jeremy asked about, can one of you pin guys explain something to us fly guys?  I do alot of nymphing and it's a split second game.  Those fish are incredibly fast at taking and rejecting a nymph.   For a flyfisherman, that's pretty much the nymphing game, detecting the strike. 

Centerpinning, you're fishing the nymph downstream, ahead of the shot and float, correct? How the heck does that "take" get detected?  The second that fly is taken, the float continues drifting towards the fish, no?  Creating slack that won't pull the float under or otherwise indicate the take?  THis is what puzzles me as a flyfisherman, where we do so much upstream, short/tight line nymphing it's hard to wrap your head around an effective centerpin nymph presentation.  It seems like you'd have a zillion missed strikes? 

I suspect if I tried it a few times, I'd better understand.  That's true with most things.  Can someone elaborate on that a little? 

I really don't fish the lure, bait downstream from the float I try to keep directly below the float keeping everything vertical.  That way as soon as a fish bumps it I can tell.  This year I've had fish hit the bait 3 to 4 times before they took.  I could tell each time by keeping constant attention to the position of my float.  With short line nymphing your throwing upstream and letting the fly come back at you, more or less the vertical position of the float in centerpinning is keeping the bait down in the fishes face at a more realistic presentation alot longer time than your fly is staying in the zone.  This isn't nearly as important when the water is say 45 deg. or warmer but as the water cools the fish want to move less to strike a bait.  The float tech. can be accomplished just as well with a good noodle rod and the same basic rig, the only thing that you wont have is the opportunity for long drifts.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: