Where's the smallmouth?

Author
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/08 07:22:37 (permalink)

Where's the smallmouth?

Just wondering as to the state of smallmouth bass fishing in the rivers of the state.The last few years, in the Juniata, Susky and Clarion Rivers, the bass have about all dissappeared.It's not you can't catch any, but the numbers are so few.How about some of the other rivers? Is the same happening? I know the PFC has been monitoring and regulating the Susky but it seems it is affecting other streams also.How about some other personal observations on these other streams?...WF

13 Replies Related Threads

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/08 07:55:28 (permalink)
    I've spent this summer exclusively fishing the Mon. The smallmouth population is booming and I catch them in all age classes and a lot of them. I hear people complaining about the quality of the river deteriorating from gas well drilling but I sure don't see it.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/08 08:12:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: World Famous

Just wondering as to the state of smallmouth bass fishing in the rivers of the state.The last few years, in the Juniata, Susky and Clarion Rivers, the bass have about all dissappeared.It's not you can't catch any, but the numbers are so few.How about some of the other rivers? Is the same happening? I know the PFC has been monitoring and regulating the Susky but it seems it is affecting other streams also.How about some other personal observations on these other streams?...WF

Fished the Juniata for bass this past Thursday and two weeks prior to that with the same guy, who happens to frequent the river a lot.  He keeps a journal, so he has a counter clicker in his kayak (yep, he is hard core).  On the first trip, we caught over 60 between the two of us.  There were a few in the 12 to 15 inch age class, one over 15, and the rest were small in the 8 to 10 inch age class.  We fished from 9 AM to about 5 PM and it was one of those high temp days with it being in the mid-90's with bright sun.

The week I didn't go, he and another angler hit a different section of the river and while they didn't catch as many fish (I don't recall the total), there were about a dozon over 15 inches and he had one, which I have seen the photo of, that was slightly over 20.

So last week we headed right to that spot, expecting bigger fish.  It had rained the night before, the water temps had dropped a few degrees, there was the slightest hint of color in the water, there was decent cloud cover -- all pointing to a banner day.  From 9 AM until 2 PM, he caught two fish, one being about 15 and I had one bite, which I lost the fish, probably from being so surprised that I actually got a bite, but it was pulling fairly good, so I don't think it was in the 8 to 10 inch age class.  We did a late lunch and went back at it, at a different location.  From about 4 PM until a little after 8 PM, we caught around 40 between the two of us.  My friend had two in the 12 to 15 inch age class and I had three that were around 15, plus one that jumped and threw the offering that was well over 15.  All others were in the 8 to 10 inch age group.

The coolest thing tha happened, however, aside from seeing a mature Bald Eagle, was that while reeling in one of the 8 to 10 inch age group, a muskie shot out of a deep spot and completely swallowed it.  I had it on for a few moments, but when it turned, the 8 pound test was easily cut off on the gill cover.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/08 14:43:06 (permalink)

must be all the sun block and lotion in the clarion river. them darn tubers shouldn't p in the water either!!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/09 13:08:15 (permalink)
    I've had good success on the Casselman river, for the most park.

I'm planning on wading the yough the next few weeks, so I'm curious to see how that pans out. There really hasnt been much posted about the yough this year.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/09 14:18:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

Fished the Juniata for bass this past Thursday and two weeks prior to that with the same guy, who happens to frequent the river a lot.  He keeps a journal, so he has a counter clicker in his kayak (yep, he is hard core).  On the first trip, we caught over 60 between the two of us.  There were a few in the 12 to 15 inch age class, one over 15, and the rest were small in the 8 to 10 inch age class.  We fished from 9 AM to about 5 PM and it was one of those high temp days with it being in the mid-90's with bright sun.

The week I didn't go, he and another angler hit a different section of the river and while they didn't catch as many fish (I don't recall the total), there were about a dozon over 15 inches and he had one, which I have seen the photo of, that was slightly over 20.

So last week we headed right to that spot, expecting bigger fish.  It had rained the night before, the water temps had dropped a few degrees, there was the slightest hint of color in the water, there was decent cloud cover -- all pointing to a banner day.  From 9 AM until 2 PM, he caught two fish, one being about 15 and I had one bite, which I lost the fish, probably from being so surprised that I actually got a bite, but it was pulling fairly good, so I don't think it was in the 8 to 10 inch age class.  We did a late lunch and went back at it, at a different location.  From about 4 PM until a little after 8 PM, we caught around 40 between the two of us.  My friend had two in the 12 to 15 inch age class and I had three that were around 15, plus one that jumped and threw the offering that was well over 15.  All others were in the 8 to 10 inch age group.

The coolest thing tha happened, however, aside from seeing a mature Bald Eagle, was that while reeling in one of the 8 to 10 inch age group, a muskie shot out of a deep spot and completely swallowed it.  I had it on for a few moments, but when it turned, the 8 pound test was easily cut off on the gill cover.

how do you know what a banner day is?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/09 14:32:53 (permalink)
    I know that neither of those were.

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/09 14:49:20 (permalink)
    LoL! I'm just jaggin with ya!

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's the smallmouth? 2011/08/09 16:03:40 (permalink)
    I know.  I can take a joke.  I applaud your efforts to bring it to a different thread.  Cudos.

But seriously, those weren't even close to average, let alone banner.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Where's the small mouth? 2011/08/10 01:36:00 (permalink)
    The Thugs and Goons have caught all the small mouth. Seems to be decent in the upper Allegheny but just not for me the last time out. Midday and water temp in the 80's left my well empty.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Where's the small mouth? 2011/08/10 07:15:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

The Thugs and Goons have caught all the small mouth. Seems to be decent in the upper Allegheny but just not for me the last time out. Midday and water temp in the 80's left my well empty.

Whats a thug Or a goon for that matter? Maybe I'm one since I can manage to catch a few out of there

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's the small mouth? 2011/08/10 07:48:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Whats a thug Or a goon for that matter? Maybe I'm one since I can manage to catch a few out of there

To qualify for the Thug and Goon Society or T&GS, you must post on the hunting boards and have any disagreement with any real or imagined PGC policy, rule, law, or program and/or be able to display an attitude, visible to only the highly trained person before you even speak that delineates you as "not one of the good guys."

What you really want to shoot for Skip is being a dual memebr of the T&GS and the UFA (Ubersnob Flyfishing Association) -- then you really have it going.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Where's the small mouth? 2011/08/10 08:17:54 (permalink)
    Do you really think I have a chance????

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where's the small mouth? 2011/08/10 12:07:34 (permalink)
    Applications are being reviewed for both at the One Fly.

Jump to: