Happy Thanksgiving Day Report

Author
Metal_Mad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/22 16:56:00 (permalink)

Happy Thanksgiving Day Report

Fished a few hours this morning in the upper river with my Centerpin and Egg Sacks.  It was raining steady and the weather was pretty raw, but the fishing made up for it.  My first hour was quiet...so I decided to cast two-three times per spot, and them move down river several steps each time. 

I was beginning to think I was letting my float drift too far down river, so I was about to start reeling the line back in.  I lifted my rod, and felt a "thump."  It was a strange take, as I'm used to the float being yanked under.  The fish swirled at the top, and them came toward me.   I thought I lost him, as I had a ton of line in the water.  I got the slack line out of the water, and he was still on.  He came back my way and then made a strong charge across the river.  I must have pressured the reel to much as my leader snapped..and the fish was gone.  I wish I got a good look at the fish, because I'm guessing he was over 13Lbs.  I landed one around 12 last week, and the fish today felt much larger.

I had two other takes and brought a five or six pounder to my feet before losing him.  Anyway, much to be thankful for...especially a wife who gave the green light to the fishing trip this morning!   

2 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Happy Thanksgiving Day Report 2007/11/22 19:36:37 (permalink)
    Cool. Wish I could have been there. Work Pretty much sucks.

Lyrical
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Happy Thanksgiving Day Report 2007/11/27 23:55:45 (permalink)
    OK, get ****ed at me, but here's my take!

"...cast two-three times per spot, and them move down river several steps each time." STANDARD WEST COAST FLY FISHING TECHNIQUE!!!!  If there are more than one folk around, you could actually develop a ROTATION!!  You have potential as a fine stream SPORTSMAN! 

"...I was beginning to think I was letting my float drift too far down river, so I was about to start reeling ..." HOORAY, an honest pinner who sees that, at least if there are other fisher persons on the river, maybe that long, long, long, long, long, long,long, long,... drift isn't so neighborly!!!!!!

The rest of the post speaks for itself on the difficulties of hooking (and if you lifted and then felt the fish, and never saw it clearly, you don't know that it actually took the bait)
    and then playing and landing fish on a long line. Also, this whole game (long line Centerpin) is especially rude if there are other guys and gals trying their luck downstream. 

Bur M_M, great to hear from you, and glad you got out there. My wife and kids have been far less understanding, which I guarantee creates at least a little more space for the pin!  But with your sensitivity, you should buy a flyrod and learn to swing!

L13 
    Jump to: