my fly equipment

Author
mattsha
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/26 14:55:14 (permalink)

my fly equipment

hey everyone. last fall i got my first fly rod for steelhead and didnt really use it much. i didnt know what i was doing and didnt have much time to practice. i was wondering if my fly rod is considered a noodle rod (which i dont want). it is a pinnacle vertex LM7. it is 8' long. line is 4-8 lbs. wt is 1/16-3/8. my main concern is if the rod im using is a good rod to start out with and if this rod may stress fish more than others. im a huge fan of catch and release and i would love to have a fly rod that does the least amount of damage. also what type of fly line and tippet would be a good start. the fly line i have on is old and i have no idea what type it is. i also lost my spool of tippet from last year.

5 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: my fly equipment 2011/07/26 14:59:15 (permalink)
    Yes, that is what is considered a noodle rod to be used with a spinning style reel.

A 9-9'6'' 7 WT is fine for Erie tribs.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: my fly equipment 2011/07/26 16:12:36 (permalink)
    mattsha:  I think your best bet is once the fish start to run try and set up a fishing trip with someone from this site.  You can probably learn more from a trip than you can from 100 questions on this site.

I use either a noodle rod/spinning reel, fly outfit or a centerpin rig depending on where I'm fishing and water conditions.  Loomis is dead on with his flyrod recomendation.  I use a weight forward fly line but imagine any kind would work on the erie tribs.  My leader butt has been on for at least 5 years.  It's only about 4 foot long and ends with a micro swivel.  To that a tie on fluro leader in different weights depending on water clarity.

From your rod description I think it's a spinning rod not a fly rod unless it was a custom built fly rod on a noodle rod blank.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: my fly equipment 2011/07/31 09:19:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mattsha

if this rod may stress fish more than others. im a huge fan of catch and release and i love to have a fly rod that does the least amount of damage. also what type of fly line and tippet would be a good start.

Fishing rods do not overly stress a fish if used properly.
    If you hook into a fish that involves a bit of a battle, use side pressure (by holding the rod parellel to the water) and land it/release it quickly.

Fly Line - don't fall for the $100 fly line marketing gimmicks. A decent DT line (usually one weight up from the rod rating) will serve you well.

Tippets - don't use 2 lb test if your intention is to C&R successfully - refer to my first point about landing/releasing quickly. I've seen more fish killed by the "light-liners" in C&R sections of streams than the meat hunters in the General Reg areas..

post edited by draketrutta - 2011/07/31 09:22:15
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: my fly equipment 2011/07/31 10:10:26 (permalink)
    One cost cutting measure I have found for using Floro tippet or leaders.
    Tapered leaders are not a must on the tribs, it's mostly roll casting and ussually have no problems turning over the fly.

I have been buying the 250 yd spools of 100% floro line for spinning reels.
    They run from $12-$20 a spool. That's alot of 10' leaders for the money.
    Pull of about 10' or whatever length of leader you want, tie a perfection loop and attach it to your flyline.

I have spools of 4-6-8lb, depending on water conditions.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: my fly equipment 2011/08/01 09:44:30 (permalink)
    Im similar to bings when it comes to leaders, although I like a heavy butt attached to the fly line, maybe 1' of 20 lb. Test. From there I step down to 15 to 10 or 8 and then tippet... like he said, buy the big spools and save tons of money. Don't buy in to those extra expensive tapered leaders, they are unneccesary... I also stand by stakes comment on overloading 1 weight heavier...good luck
    Jump to: