Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/06/17 09:04:21 (permalink)

Mend on the Cast

Help a brother out here.

What's the trick to throwing an upstream mend during the forward cast?

I have trouble mending a line upstream without moving the fly when I'm making long casts. Threw to some risers last weekend and had great fly presentation, but I'd botch it when I tried to mend up. And when I didn't mend, obviously, no drag-free drift.

Thanks!

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

5 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Mend on the Cast 2011/06/17 10:14:43 (permalink)
    if i want an upstream mend with the cast i cast sidearm more. when you stop the forward cast and your loop moves forward, continue your stroke sidearm upstream, letting some slack line run through your line hand. this will take some time getting used to but it works.
    if you have a high overhead cast you can throw a mend upstream before the fly touches down. you'll have to overshoot your target and aim way above stream from where you want your fly to land because the fly line will tend to back-up towards you with this procedure.

remember that just a little movement of your hand on the rod grip either way will move the rod tip a lot more so it doesn't take much force or movemnet to throw an in-air mend.

anyhow this is i do it.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Mend on the Cast 2011/06/17 10:59:36 (permalink)
    What he said.

You can also over power the cast and just as the energy transfers from the flyline to the leader, drop your casting elbow -- the energy dies, dropping the fly with the leader and the flyline upstream of the fly.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Mend on the Cast 2011/06/17 11:19:09 (permalink)
    try a tuck cast
    while usually a nymph cast... piling the leader can aford you some extra line

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    RE: Mend on the Cast 2011/06/17 13:33:24 (permalink)
    Everything they said is good. I like to cast hard then stop the cast and, like Jerry said roll the rod away from the fly into slacker water, usually your line will overshoot the fly and dump to the right/left of your drift. Then it is easy to make further mends without moving the fly. Also keep the rod tip up till you start the roll/mend and then drop it to just turn the line. This does however come with a downside as it makes for more slack line to take up when striking. Also it helps to reduce the movement of your rod tip practice making many small mends as opposed to one large one. And again, if the fly is in fast water and is dragging the line it is easier to side mend. Confused yet? Soon I'll explain the importance of using the solunar tables to determine fly line color.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Mend on the Cast 2011/06/17 13:41:36 (permalink)
    Don't know the terminology; but I find an overloaded cast cut short while keeping your rod tip up allows the fly, leader, and tip of line to hit water while belly of line out is out of water still; in this short moment gently mend upstream. Also; when possible; a dry fly presented while gently feeding line straight downstream from you usually assures a rise. When possible; you should try. When fishing bigger water; this method can be practiced very successfully from a pontoon or drift boat. Good luck
    Jump to: