san juan worm hatch

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 12:49:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Dardy, you answered my question. You always give good advice(even if I don't like it). Am I right in assuming you are retired? Congrats that you can fish whenever you want. I will be joining your ranks in 7 years and 6 months. Don't feel bad about keeping a few. I kept about 30 stockies this year for my brother to put in the smoker!

I am far from retired, so I can not fish whenever I want, I am just careful in picking my shots.  If I am going to take the time ot go fishing, hunting, or any other selected activty, I am going to have as succussful of an outing as possible as often as possible.

I liken fishing for stockies with nymphs to provide a few for my wife to eat, for me at least, to mowing my grass -- its a task that I dont enjoy (many do -- the stockies and mowing the grass, but I don't), I don't completely dislike, but would rather get out of the way as quickly as possible and do it as few times as possible.  That is why I kept enough to satisfy her for the year and I lower the deck on the mower until the dust flies.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/06/10 07:19:44 (permalink)
The fish are in the water. Really? Who knew?

Lyrical
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/06/10 11:02:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

Why don't you guys quit worrying about bugs, worms, other fisherman and just FISH! Trust me the fish are IN the water.

Some of us have evolved beyond "just fishing." 

Someday, you may get there.

Then again, probably not.

I still feel like this post has a little too much EGO... I know you and drake feel strongly like you aren't being arrogant or dismissive of other people, BUT still.

home was perhaps being trite, yes. but then- your implying that what he's doing is less. in what way? less skill, perhaps- more difficult, ok. But not "LESS".

Evolving implies becoming better at something. and fundementally fly fishing does not make you better at catching fish. Its a problematic word, folks.

= = = =
I like fly fishing at played at it for awhile. but it doesn't match the when and where very well... and frankly, I find other fish more enjoyable to catch. so I have no contempt, no issue with fly fishing nor skilled fly fishermen. its even inspiring to see them do their magic. (as they mentioned, fly fishing, espacially for wary trophy natives can be very difficult).

but I don't like the european, arrogant attitude that OCCASIONALLY happens. I think every fly fishermen should work hard to be real, and polite to others (including those that fish in ways they consider CHEAP).
= = = =

and I really Do disagree that too "evolve" means to take up fly fishing. or for that matter to take ANY given technique of fishing. You can be quite a good sportsman and still fling worms. IMHO
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/06/10 12:15:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jolie

ORIGINAL: DarDys

Why don't you guys quit worrying about bugs, worms, other fisherman and just FISH! Trust me the fish are IN the water.

Some of us have evolved beyond "just fishing." 

Someday, you may get there.

Then again, probably not.

I still feel like this post has a little too much EGO... I know you and drake feel strongly like you aren't being arrogant or dismissive of other people, BUT still.

home was perhaps being trite, yes. but then- your implying that what he's doing is less. in what way? less skill, perhaps- more difficult, ok. But not "LESS".

Evolving implies becoming better at something. and fundementally fly fishing does not make you better at catching fish. Its a problematic word, folks.

= = = =
I like fly fishing at played at it for awhile. but it doesn't match the when and where very well... and frankly, I find other fish more enjoyable to catch. so I have no contempt, no issue with fly fishing nor skilled fly fishermen. its even inspiring to see them do their magic. (as they mentioned, fly fishing, espacially for wary trophy natives can be very difficult).

but I don't like the european, arrogant attitude that OCCASIONALLY happens. I think every fly fishermen should work hard to be real, and polite to others (including those that fish in ways they consider CHEAP).
= = = =

and I really Do disagree that too "evolve" means to take up fly fishing. or for that matter to take ANY given technique of fishing. You can be quite a good sportsman and still fling worms. IMHO

It had nothing to do at all with ego or flyfishing.  The entire point was a few posters were having a discussion concerning a very specific thing, a joke really because there is no such thing as a San Juan worm hatch, and noplace chastised us for wasting time by having such a discussion and that instead of having a conversation, we should "just fish."  My response to him was that some of us have evolved past just fishing, meaning in order for us to enjoy what we do, us, not anyone else, but those that were partcipating in the discussion, it must involve more than just going fishing at any waking moment.  It took some explaining, but I finally got my point across and he understood it.

Too bad you didn't.

Must be my ego.

Or your lack of comprehension.

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/06/10 14:48:02 (permalink)
Guys- let's not start the age old debate. It makes us all look like idiots.
No place- it's obvious no one is getting much from your "reports" so you may want to move them to the "report" section. Don't take it the wrong way- I could give a crap and I think your posts are rather amusing and as long as you don't leave trash along the stream or throw trash fish on the bank to die I see no harm.
Guys- what about these drakes? Will they still be on next Thursday?

Lyrical
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/06/10 15:13:02 (permalink)
What drakes ?

Slate drakes ? Green drakes ? thedrake ? Yellow drakes ? Purple cream-pie drakes ?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/06/10 16:47:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

What drakes ?

Slate drakes ? Green drakes ? thedrake ? Yellow drakes ? Purple cream-pie drakes ?

No jokes permitted.  If you make a flyfishing joke, your ego is showing.

By the way, I hope it is not thedrake that is showing -- eeewww!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: