Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2011/05/15 21:31:21 (permalink)

san juan worm hatch

The pink san juan hatch is stretching the entire river now.  GIT ER DONE

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

36 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/16 08:18:15 (permalink)
     Might have to go to dunkin worms...not to be confused with dunkin donuts

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/16 08:54:52 (permalink)
    Donuts ? I WANT A DONUT !!!

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/17 12:58:57 (permalink)
    I've been out the last 10 days or so. The san juan hatch has been good. It started at 4:00 on saturday. I had clients catching fish non-stop til dark on top.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/17 15:29:29 (permalink)
    I'd say it has been a better than recent years sulphur hatch so far. I had a pile of them hatch below me the other night, hovered for a while then decide to come visit. I don't think the fish got too full on the grannoms as they sure have been acting "grannom stupid" on the sulphurs. More high water coming ! ARGH !

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/18 07:07:16 (permalink)
    I guess my plans for going out tonight will be scuttled with the over 900 cfs and more rain on the way.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/18 19:22:16 (permalink)
    The crowds have been frustrating. There were 11 guys squeezed into the flat at teaberry on Friday. Four or five guys there is pretty comfortable.... 11 not so much.

When I got there, I asked the only guy in the run if I could squeeze two guys below him. I figured I'd ask, since it's the courteous thing to do. He said he didn't mind whatsoever. We spread out a little, then just before the hatch started, a couple of cars full of guys who didn't politely ask to squeeze in squeezed in between us, and were beating the water to a froth so bad that the fish all but stopped rising.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 08:24:22 (permalink)
    A few years ago during the sulphurs and absolutely wonderful weather, my wife and I had to drive around for almost two hours (yes, it was that early in the afternoon to do so) in order to find a parking spot -- any parking spot -- near water we might have wanted to fish.

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 14:13:38 (permalink)
    Why don't you guys quit worrying about bugs, worms, other fisherman and just FISH! Trust me the fish are IN the water.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 15:50:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Why don't you guys quit worrying about bugs, worms, other fisherman and just FISH! Trust me the fish are IN the water.

Some of us have evolved beyond "just fishing." 

Someday, you may get there.

Then again, probably not.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/05/19 15:51:43

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 17:56:04 (permalink)
    I don't worry about what other people think. I just go fishing to catch fish. It IS called fishing. Everyone started fishing with a hook and a worm. You guys just think you have evolved.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 17:57:29 (permalink)
    noplace...

Some of us prefer to catch our fish on our terms... which doesn't include live bait, lures and other junk. We'd rather catch one wild fish on the fly, than hundreds on your bait. I know you don't understand, and that's fine.

On another note....I read a few more of your reports and a question came to mind.... Why don't you post your reports on the reports page rather than posting your drivel on the forums? Sure, we all get a good laugh from reading them, and it's hilarious that you boast about how many stockers you can catch on bait, but I'm not sure they belong here. Maybe you should try posting them on the reports page, where guys are actually looking for reports?
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 18:11:59 (permalink)
    Why do you guys try to force your nonsence rules on others? I don't tell you how to fish. I catch MANY fish on flies. But I use what ever the fish are biting. At least I try to help others, instead of looking down on others just because they don't look or act the way you do? Maybe you should evolve, into a better person, not a snob. I have also caught wild brook trout. Not much fun bringing in a 4 inch brookie that bites anything that falls in the water.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 19:27:56 (permalink)
    We're not talking about wild brook trout in particular. The creeks here are full of wild browns, which can grow pretty large and difficult to catch. See Below:

Maybe you missed where I wrote: "I know you don't understand, and that's fine". I meant that, seriously. It is fine that you don't understand why we are particular about how we fish. I have no problem with you fishing however you want.

BTW, We do fish often. In fact, I've been on the water 11 out of the past 14 days actually teaching fishing, not just posting a BS report about how many stockers I can catch, trying to pass it off as helping someone.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 20:26:40 (permalink)
    I help people for free. From what I have read about you, you get PAID to teach(clients). BIG difference. My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers. In all honesty I would much rather be fishing Erie every week(not possible). I have to fish for something around here. The stockies give me my fix til I CAN get back to Erie. I could show you a spot on a trib in Erie tomorrow that has Steelys,stocked browns, and 5 lb smallies in the SAME hole. I won't even go into the large Lake trout and huge smallies being caught right now in the lake. You just don't know how spoiled I am from fishing up there for the past 36 years.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:09:38 (permalink)

I help people for free... My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy....

i have never seen anything you posted that i would consider "help"
    its more a checklist of stocked trout and bluegill on bait, with some idiotic "can't catch em from your couch" statement
    the only thing people "enjoy" is the good laugh your post provide

and don't start your holier than thou/ victim Bullshlt you've done your fair share of attacking
    you just cry when you're on the receiving end

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:18:16 (permalink)

That one is signature worthy.  I might just copy and paste that beauty and claim it as my own !

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:18:40 (permalink)
    Had a feeling you might come slithering out of your hole! Where's the rest of your gang? I will not stoop to your level. And to think a LONG time ago I gave you words of encouragement(archery season). No wonder you got put in the penalty box!
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:23:29 (permalink)
    SK, you have my permission.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:28:14 (permalink)
    thanks !

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:28:40 (permalink)

.... And to think a LONG time ago I gave you words of encouragement(archery season). No wonder you got put in the penalty box!

huh?
    what are you talking about?
    have you been eating more that your PFBC monthly allotment of heavy metals again?

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/19 22:31:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

Just put on a nymph.   Go to the dark side !  DO IT !  

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 07:14:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

ORIGINAL: DarDys

Just put on a nymph.   Go to the dark side !  DO IT !  

Like I said, I have evolved.

Actually, because the river has been blown out when I could go, I hate to publically admit it, but I have been dredging for local stockies for a few hours each week.  My typical trip has been for about 3-4 hours and usually ends with 20+ white whale specials.  That's about as much of it as I can stand before I completely lose interest.  I caught eight on ten casts out of the same pool on Friday and just moved on -- there was no challenge to it at all.

I guess I am not cut out for "just fishing."
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/05/20 07:23:30

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 07:59:28 (permalink)
    How's this for "just fishing."

It doesn't get any more dark siding that nymph fishing, with an indicator no less, for a glo-in-the-dark stocked trout.

If the river doesn't come down soon, I may need an intervention.
    post edited by DarDys - 2011/05/24 07:03:16

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 08:17:37 (permalink)
    Glow in the dark trout ! That's funny !

I hear this weather is going to keep up until July. You may miss the tricos too. Maybe it'll be a dry fall and the Catt will fish good.

You do know there is a tremedous hatch of sulphurs on a wild brown stream very close to your house. They are some 18" in there too. It's only a 30 yard walk from the truck and nobody fishes it. I never even seen a flyfisher there, a baitfisher or two. It's probably cranking for now.

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 08:20:16 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong at all. You are actually going to the water to catch a fish, that's called fishing. Who cares what bait,lure,..... you use. Another thing I don't understand is here in Central Pa. guys make so many excuses(cold,might rain,windy,snow,too far of a walk) NOT to fish that  99.9%  of the time they will talk themselves out of fishing BEFORE they even get off of their couch. Can anyone explain this?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 09:22:21 (permalink)

Nothing wrong at all. You are actually going to the water to catch a fish, that's called fishing. Who cares what bait,lure,..... you use. Another thing I don't understand is here in Central Pa. guys make so many excuses(cold,might rain,windy,snow,too far of a walk) NOT to fish that  99.9%  of the time they will talk themselves out of fishing BEFORE they even get off of their couch. Can anyone explain this?

I'll try to explain it to you.

As you often point out, fish can be caught under less than ideal conditions.  However, the odds of having a very successful outing go down substancially the further away those conditions move from ideal.  Yes, you can have a "good" day of fishing during a "bad" day, but 9 out of 10 times that doesn't happen and the experience is less than fulfilling.

When one evolves away from "just fishing" for the sake of fishing to a point in their minds where the how, when, and where of the experience overrides the "fishing" aspect, the less they are willing to beat their heads against the it-might-work-out good-but probably-won't rock and they start to pick and choose the time, places, methods, and conditions that will lead to a 9 out of 10 success rate rather than the inverse.

Put another way, back when I fished bass tournaments, I "had" to fish under adverse conditions -- the events were scheduled, entry fees were paid, etc.  I did not have a choice.  Now, when I fish for "my" enjoyment, I fish when I know I am going to have a good day and on those days where the outcome may be marginal due to les than ideal conditions, I pass and do other things which I enjoy and are more conducive to current conditions.

I enjoy catching fish on a dry fly.  That does not mean that it is the most productive method, unless there is a hatch, it is definately not.  But it is what I enjoy with respect to fishing.  So, if conditons are not conducive to dry fly fishing -- water at the right level and clarity, an active bug hatch in progress, etc. -- I make an informed adult decision not to go fishing and to do something else that I enjoy.  You might term it "talking myself out of going," while I call it the best utilization of my time.

With regard to the photo and fishing for stockies, I went only because my wife likes to eat a few of them (not smaller than 8 inches, no bigger than 12 inches, preferably brooks, but rainbows are okay, don't bring browns home) and she encouraged me to go.  With water conditions the way they were, nymphing was the only choice to get her dinner.  As hard as this will be for you to understand, I actually kept four fish each of the three stockie trips I made because at two per meal that is enough that she won't ask me to go again this year and that was the goal -- to not have to fish nypmphs for stocked trout -- because I don't enjoy it.

Now, before you construe that as snobbish or looking down on others, it is not.  I just do not enjoy fishing for stockies nor nymph fishing, but I harbor no feeling about those that do.  They enjoy what they do and I enjoy what I do.

I hope that explains it.  Some people just don't need to "just fish."

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 09:23:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Glow in the dark trout ! That's funny !

I hear this weather is going to keep up until July. You may miss the tricos too. Maybe it'll be a dry fall and the Catt will fish good.

You do know there is a tremedous hatch of sulphurs on a wild brown stream very close to your house. They are some 18" in there too. It's only a 30 yard walk from the truck and nobody fishes it. I never even seen a flyfisher there, a baitfisher or two. It's probably cranking for now.

It is roaring.

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 10:05:03 (permalink)
    Dardy, you answered my question. You always give good advice(even if I don't like it). Am I right in assuming you are retired? Congrats that you can fish whenever you want. I will be joining your ranks in 7 years and 6 months. Don't feel bad about keeping a few. I kept about 30 stockies this year for my brother to put in the smoker!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: san juan worm hatch 2011/05/20 12:09:48 (permalink)

Nothing wrong at all. You are actually going to the water to catch a fish, that's called fishing. Who cares what bait,lure,..... you use.

Who cares what bait or lure? Many of us. Certain types of fishing take more time to learn and skill than others. To some, catching a fish on a dry fly is more fulfilling, than catching a fish on anything else. Why?.. because it takes more practice and skill, to fool a fish with a fly than it does with live bait. Sure, a guy could catch a bunch of fish on minnows, but it may not be as satisfying to some of us as catching a few less by using a method that is more difficult. It's not unlike using a bow and arrow to kill a deer, or using a .410 to bust clays. Sure, a rifle will kill the deer easier, and a 12 gauge will bust clays with ease, but making things easier, is not what we're after.

I fished with bait as a youngster, but needed more out of fishing than just catching fish. Not to mention I realized early on that it's a little ironic to use live minnows, which died after I used them, to catch trout which I planned on releasing to live another day.

post edited by thedrake - 2011/05/20 12:41:13
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: