jeffjava
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/16 10:13:00 (permalink)

Help with Flyrod

I have a 6lb 9 foot rod. 
Want to dead drift.

Which line would be better? Or should I be using something different.
6wt Floating WF

.27 Cortland 444SL Running Line.

I have 3x and 4x orvis leaders and tippet material.
How long a leader and how much tippet. 

I'll be up a my parents house all next week. They live right on Walnut.

20 Replies Related Threads

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 10:26:42 (permalink)
    jeff, if you could get an accomplished fly angler to give you a start in the sport, you will save yourself much aggravation.  Lessons are always a good way to start.  but assuming you have reasons for going the route you are, let me offer some help.  First, I am unfamiliar with the Cortland running line you have.  I looked up the specs you provided and find cortland has this line in "Intermediate" and "Floating."  If you have the Intermediate, I would opt for the other 6 weight floating line.  If the running line is a floating line, it may be OK.  However, Cortland says this line is designed for shooting long distance and that it is stiff.  You will not need long distance casts on most creeks, especially Erie Tribs.  Stiffness can be a real hinderance in cold weather.  Thus, all considered, I'd use the 6wt.

On the leaders, I am assuming the tippet is monofilament, rather than flourocarbon.  If so, get a tapered leader at one of the shops in mono (if it's flouro, get a flouro tapered leader).  The leader should be between 7.5 and 9 ft. long ending in 3X.  Use the leader as it comes out the package until you have lost (by changing flies or breaking off) about 24-30 inches, then use your 3X to add back the final taper of 24-30 inches.  If the water is ultra-clear and you want to drop down to 4X, you can add that to the 3X.  It will cast best if that 3X section is no more than 12 inches when youo tie in the 4X. 

Hopefully this will help a bit.  If you go to one of the bait/fly shops and purchase the leader and a few flies, they may be able to give you some person-to-person advice as well.

Good luck.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 10:46:48 (permalink)
    jeffjava, i know some of the weight forward guys would disagree with me, but may i suggest in the future trying a double taper floating fly line. since distance is usualy not a concern on erie tribs, or most trout streams in p.a., you can roll cast them much better in short quarters or for some distance when you get used to it,  than a wt. forward. also you don't get the slap on the water a weight forward does when it lands. if you get a quality fly line like 444f cortland you should be able to get the distance you need, again, on most trout streams. when one end of the fly line starts cracking, you can turn the line around and use the other end. saves big bucks.  on the leader selection, i gotta go with mackj's advice. good start    ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

jeffjava
    New Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 11:38:43 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.    I don't get out much anymore.  Now that I'm successful I don't get to go fishing. My wife is already complaining that I'm going to turn our Thanksgiving family holiday into a fishing trip again.

Anyhow.  

Do you consider it a problem tying mono leaders to floro tippet's?

I have an extra Reel and I think I will go with double tapers advice and go with the double taper floating fly line.

I'm pretty good at casting the 6wf.  I'm also good at tying all of the knot's

MackJ.  You make a good point with the stiffness of the cortland running line in the cold.  I got this idea from the www.yankeeangler.com.  He states that he likes to use the running line.  He fishes the Salmon River.  Look under FAQ's on his site. 

Rtom45
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 11:48:18 (permalink)
    You should be OK with floro and mono as long as you're good at knots.  Make sure you wet your knots before you pull them tight.  I always fish with a floro tippet on a mono leader.  Almost all my breaks are at the hook.
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 12:18:12 (permalink)
    Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions on these questions and are not meant to argue with any of the above posts.

Orvis makes a line called the Wonderline Easy Mend. It's pricy for some at $59 but everybody I have ever set up with it loves it for steelhead and big river fishing as it combines the the better roll casting characteristics of a DT with the shootability of a WF so you can still hammer out big casts if you have to. It's a very versatile line that works great for big rivers, small streams, and lakes for trout, bass, steel, salmon, and just about anything else you might want to fish for.

IMHO, nylon and fluoro are not the best of friends. I have caught plenty of fish with a nylon leader and a fluoro tippet but I never resort to that combination unless I have to. Fortunately I have the ability to test the tensile strength of things with the proper equipment and when I had suspected a problem in the past I had my father test different combinations of fluoro and nylon and there were slippage/breakage problems with properly tied blood knots that were otherwise unexplainable. We used properly graduated tippet diameters, material was "fresh", knots were thoroughly inspected before testing. They held up to a good pull with both hands but when put on the tensile strength tester with an even amount of force after a while there would be some slippage and then breakage. I figured that this was why sometimes I would test a tippet and it was fine then hook a steelie and after a few minutes of fighting a fish ... POOF! I have not had this problem ever with fluoro to fluoro.

Fluoro is great for it's abrasion resistance and that's where you benefit from a full fluoro leader/tippet. At this point I don't really put too much weight in the whole "It's Invisible" nonsense - you only have to watch a few steelhead and trout run away from 6x fluoro to realize that they can in fact see it. To make it more cost effective take a new leader, clip off two feet(yes I did just recommend you to cut the tippet of of a perfectly goo leader), tie a surgeons or perfection loop on the end and loop to loop your tippets on. Some people will argue that loop knots are not as strong as "hard" knots, well I said these were my personal opinions right?
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 12:30:08 (permalink)
    Rtom, i agree, it's the cheapest way to go. i found a full fluoro. tapered leader is so thick at the tie in butt section it's hard, if not, impossable to get the coils out.

jjava, get in the habit of eather drying your hands off or rinsing them in the water when tying the knots, flouro. will slip out quicker if you got salmon egg oil or dry fly floatant on your fingers. i found this out the hard way and its frustrating loseing fish. a little spit, or tabacco juice works fine for wetting the knot. 

with flouro don't think one more wrap of the tag section tying to the hook is better than less. i have found the knot will not clinch tight if i wrap the tag end, lets say 4 times than three before finishing the knot.i also leave a little more of a tag end exposed as than with mono. when i cut it off ..just my own observation.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 12:36:50 (permalink)
    What kind of fluoro leader are you using that they have a lot of memory? Between Orvis, Seaguar, and Frog's Hair fluoro leaders they have relatively low memory. I can't remember having to do more than a short stretch with any of these leaders.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 12:39:37 (permalink)
    jeffjava,

You have gotten some good advice.  It is hard to add much.  This fall I started using a furled leaders (http://www.blueskyfly.com/).  So far I like the way it casts and lays out on the roll casts.  Furled leaders are expensive, but the thing about them is they should last because you attach a tippet to them via a loop and you don't have to tie directly to the leader.  This makes changing the tippet easy and it is easier to maintain a constant leader length.

As for line, I have used both double taper and wt forward.  Both work fine and it is really a matter of personal preference and what works best with your rod. 

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 12:39:45 (permalink)
    streetstalker, thanks for your input. i'm always willing to learn from someone elses advice when it sounds reasonable.   i always say "i learn from others mistakes, and try to use only sound advice to keep from wasting my time!"  ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 13:22:00 (permalink)
    bughawk, with the sun shining this morn on the snow, as i crossed the clarion river, on my way to work, i thought of how great a day it would have been up there steelhead fishing. ohh i'm jealous!! i read all the reports about the east side, so if i come up i'll most likley wake up earlier and fish the west side up stream. ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 13:57:06 (permalink)
    dt,

We are still getting a little snow this afternoon in lower Erie county.  The radar looks like the precip has slowed up near the lake.  Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 14:51:49 (permalink)
    holy cow, i got another star! did you give me another star bughawk??

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

jeffjava
    New Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 15:42:35 (permalink)
    I'm new to this site.  How do you give stars?
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 15:47:37 (permalink)
    streetstalker, i ordered ORVIS fluoro. tapered leader and got it right from orvis. i had to cut the butt end off and shorten it because i couldn't get the top foot or so coil out of it. i even wet it and hung it from the top of mt frige with a bottle opener on the other end to stretch it out. for steelies i can't have any slack in the leader. maybe it was old stuff but it came right from orvis... ~dt (the things we fly guys do to make things right)

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 16:48:27 (permalink)
    jeffjava

The stars are awarded or collected for the number of posts you make.

pax vobiscum +
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 17:15:24 (permalink)
    bughawk, i hope i didn't cause a problem about the stars, i was just kidding around. i was going to tell jeffjava to ask t.t. cause i like t.t.'s replies but again i thought better and didn't want to get in trouble. sorry if i misled you jeffjava. most on here are good natured and kid around. some more than others. {now if i can only become an expert angler
    and than learn how to catch more steelhead when i'm up there, or is it the other way around?}

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 18:10:38 (permalink)
    DT, just FYI wetting a fluoro leader/tippet is not really helpful for straightening because they do not absorb water like nylon does. At this point I use only Orvis Mirage and Seaguar G-Max for steelhead. I work for an Orvis outfitter so of course I get that stuff at a discount but when I'm in Erie and don't have time to swing by the Orvis shop I know that I can swing by any tackle shop and grab some G-Max and I'm going to be fine with it. I don't really notice any difference between the two. Temp will though so sometimes when a leader hits cold water some memory will "magically" reappear, this is also why the wrong line for hot saltwater climates will be too limp to cast properly. Here's what I do if I have excessmemory in a leader. I put the loop around the closed jaws of my hemostats and make two or three wraps two or three feet up the leader and then pull like all get out. This does two things, it straightens the leader and tests out the perfection loop.

One other piece of advice I forgot to mention earlier is to pay close attention to your tippet/leader materials and when trying new materials have a backup. It's not rocket science that different brands of mono, be they nylon or fluoro, are not created equal but after guiding for years I have seen all too often an angler repeatedly breaking off tippets not realizing that they were using incompatible materials and just keep fueling their frustration. If you do find yourself having problems on the stream you can always revert back to the loop to loop system that I described earlier because it eliminates that incompatibility factor.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 19:59:55 (permalink)
    steelstalker, thanks for the come back. so much for me wetting the fluoro.
    the orvis fluoro leader i was talking about is mirage, salmon/steelhead 71/2ft 6lb. that i was having coil trouble with. this was right out of the package in my house. i went to tie,loop it onto my fly line before ever heading out. the date on it is may2010!!! not that old. usually with one bad experience with something, when there's others on the market, i don't revert back but thanks for that info.
    the other advice you gave me is most likely why i had trouble keeping airflo, sightfree fluoro from breaking or unknotting at the leader though it doesn't explain why the unknotting occured at the hook. i don't think i did anything different tying this brand of junk on compared to other brands and i know what you mean about frustration. thanks for all the real good info, it's something i'll keep in mind, now if i could only spell and type corrrreeeccttly...

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 20:52:00 (permalink)
    DT, I bought a spool of Airflow Sight Free for $15 from Folly's one time. I could not get one knot to hold for steelies, ever. I ended up using it for regular trout fishing but it was atrocious for steel. Try the hemostat stretch though, it's a goodie. But really the way I like to straighten out a leader is to tie into a nice 15lb'er and get it on. Another thing you really have to keep in mind is that certain materials do not hold with certain knots. A Frog's Hair rep once told me that Frog's Hair doesn't hold a clinch knot well. They recommend a 16-20 or Pitzen knot for their material. Orvis Mirage and Seaguar G-Max however hold clinch, surgeon's, and blood knots very well as do they hold a perfection loop well. To each his own but make sure that you know what "yours" is before you hit the stream.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Help with Flyrod 2007/11/16 22:49:08 (permalink)
    steestalker, i had to laugh, that's where i bought my airflow sitefree at, must of been a bad batch. i remember someone telling me about certain knots you must tie when using froghair and that's why i never used it. i do use the gamma fluoro. leader material, which makes frog hair, and do not have any problems with it. it's not all that expensive for how much you get on the big spool. i'll be using it tomorrow as a tippet if the water is running high and off color. i'll try putting on my other new mirage tapered leader when i think i'm in the 15lb steelhead water range. ha!!!  thanks again  ~dt
    p.s. i've only been fish'n for steelies the past 3 years so i'm still learning about the fluoro and steelhead fishing thing. now if we're talking about trout fishing that's a whole'nother story!!!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: