Outdoor channel

Author
blaze16412
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 245
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/26 11:23:22 (permalink)

Outdoor channel

As a hunter I watch the outdoor channel a lot and I'm sure that most hunters do also. I was watching a turkey hunt today with a disabled kid that wouldn't be able to hunt by his self. But with some help from guides, they but a big ole tom at 25 yards in front of the kid. They lined up the shot for him and he plowed the bird over. The bird was one heck of a trophy. Not only did the guide service help get the kids first turkey, they paid for a full mount and surprised him with it a few months later. It is nice to know there is a lot of people out there to help kids hunt and do such a wonderful thing for some to make their dreams come true. My hat goes off to everyone that helps and contributes to help kids hunt and do such a wonderful act for some.

I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

8 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/26 11:44:19 (permalink)
    Is great to see. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/26 13:30:30 (permalink)
    Good to see such things. Hunters are one of the more giving groups in today's society.

The UBP sent a kid on a hunt that was disabled from a vehicle accident in high school. I guess the hunt and the outfitting didn't go well, so they sent him on another hunt a couple years later. He got a 150" 10 pt with a crossbow. A nearby taxidermist mounted the buck for free. This past winter banquet, the kid and his family attended and had a slideshow of the accident which was very emotional, then the taxidermist showed up with his buck. A special moment for that young fella.

I can't seem to find a pic..

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/26 13:38:51 (permalink)
    Always enjoy seeing these types of hunts. Hunters offer a lot as well as many biker orgs.IMHO.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/26 14:09:07 (permalink)
    I volunteered the pointers for a youth hunt this fall.  The last two hunters I had were in wheelchairs.  We strapped them in the back of some Rangers and backed through the fields until the dogs went on point.  The Rangers were then manuevered as closes to the point as possible and the birds were flushed.  It took some doing but both boys were able to bag a pheasant.

Be careful when giving to charities that offer "wishes" to kids.  Some do not permit kids to request hunts.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/26 16:55:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

I volunteered the pointers for a youth hunt this fall.  The last two hunters I had were in wheelchairs.  We strapped them in the back of some Rangers and backed through the fields until the dogs went on point.  The Rangers were then manuevered as closes to the point as possible and the birds were flushed.  It took some doing but both boys were able to bag a pheasant.

Be careful when giving to charities that offer "wishes" to kids.  Some do not permit kids to request hunts.

Very nice, your a good hearted man DarDys ! One club I belonged to used to put up benifits for Make A Wish but no longer do this due to the fact the MAW orginaztion feels hunting is bad because it promtes killing. They now raise money for orgs that promote hunting like Catch A Dream.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/27 02:09:49 (permalink)
    I volunteered the pointers for a youth hunt this fall. The last two hunters I had were in wheelchairs. We strapped them in the back of some Rangers and backed through the fields until the dogs went on point. The Rangers were then manuevered as closes to the point as possible and the birds were flushed. It took some doing but both boys were able to bag a pheasant.

That is awesome!!!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/27 14:22:34 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  It was my pleasure.

For a couple of years, until he died, I would take a gentleman that had a brain tumor which caused tunnel vision.  But if a bird flew just right, he would put it on the ground.

I have even been known to take Dark Siders, archery hunters even, and guys wearing pajamas.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Outdoor channel 2011/04/27 19:43:07 (permalink)
    Congrats guys- that is truly great stuff
    Jump to: