Hot Shot Comet

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/25 20:16:24 (permalink)

Hot Shot Comet

I got a call from a gentleman who my son and I will be visiting this summer - and of course our discussion was all about fishing and tying. He suggested I bring along some Comets as they did quite well on them last year. So that's what I've been tying here lately - in various colors. Thought I'd put up a tute on them. Originated I believe from Tim Fox who developed it for steelhead along the Oregon coast. No reason why it shouldn't work on other species as well though.....perhaps smallmouth?? Anyway here it is:

Materials:

1. Begin the thread near the eye of the hook and figure 8 wrap a dumbell eye in. This fly will ride with the hook on the top. Make sure to put a drop of Zap A Gap on first to keep the eye from rolling on the hook shank. Put another drop on following your wraps to secure. Wrap back to the bend of the hook.

2. Cut a clump of craft fur/polar fiber and comb out the underfur. Tie this in at the bend. Trim off the excess just behind the eyes so that when you wrap the fur, securing it you finish off with a clean body with no bumps

3. If you want you can spin some arctic fox on a dubbing loop and wrap this in just in front of the tail.

4. Tie in a piece of thin wire and tinsel. Wrap the tinsel forward evenly and tie off. Bring the wire forward to secure the tinsel. Tie this off.

5.Cut two pieces of braided mylar cord and pull the centers out of them. Tip: do not use your scissors to cut this - a good way to ruin your scissors. Use a pair of sidecutters/linemans pliers. Tie one piece of top and one on the bottom of the hook shank. Again use some zap a gap to secure. Cut to length at the tie-in point of the tail.

Some tiers fold the cord over the thread and tie the pieces in - but personally I think it creates too full of a body. To each his own though.

6. Fluff out the cord on the top and bottom. Prepare a schlappen feather and tie in at the tip. Wrap forward and tie off just behind the eye. Whip finish off.

post edited by steely34 - 2011/04/25 20:17:43

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

3 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Hot Shot Comet 2011/04/25 20:24:17 (permalink)
    Feeeshy!! Nice tie.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Hot Shot Comet 2011/04/25 22:18:15 (permalink)
    Jeez, steely...you should change your name to STEALY. I'm somewhat positive someone else has tied a comet at some point before you made this tutorial!
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Hot Shot Comet 2011/04/26 04:35:26 (permalink)
    Good one Cold!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Jump to: