Snagging of fish

Author
AddictedAngler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/14 20:52:50 (permalink)

Snagging of fish

A few days ago my friend and I were fishing Crooked creek.As we made our way up stream we noticed 3 gentlemen trying to remove fish in a non conventional manner. One had a black heavy boat rod and was poaking it under log jams and the other was jumping up and down on them while the third was getting ready to snag the fish. We watched for a minute or two before they saw us then the one man said there is a big one under there. We did not make any reply and the three clows moved away. Ther was a medium dark green truck in the parking area and the men were middle aged and there attire was not fishing styled (none Orvis equiped).Hopefully they will be caught and taken care of. Tony

25 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/14 20:57:20 (permalink)
    take plate #

esspecialy after that land is opening up!!!
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/14 21:13:14 (permalink)
    "There is a big one under there"

Gotta love it, just made my day

Thanks
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/14 21:18:28 (permalink)
    I've said this before, but it is worth saying again.... Keep the local WCO's #'s handy and call on these ****holes.

The lack of respect for these fish never ceases to amaze me...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/14 21:29:19 (permalink)
      Toots,

you don't think it would be fun to get a bunch of guys together in wetsuits & gripper gloves &
    hit the project waters??? Can't see no laws broken in it. Prob. be the most fun you had in years & alot more of a challenge. Now if I could get my buddies to do that on the next rabbit hunt.

Life is too short...
    If you let the little things get to you, I'm sure it will be shorter but seem longer.
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/11/15 04:40:37
    AnimalCannibal1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 07:22:42 (permalink)
    I just watched a show on versus (formerly oln) about a fish and game warden who did put on wet suits and grab lines, cut lines, and arrest everybody. They profiled his 20 yr career. Showed him in wetsuits and "costumes" to bust poachers. Gotta admire his dedication.

..And then I saw a sheet being let down from Heaven and it contained all the four legged creatures of the Earth. And then the Lord told me "Get up Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 09:01:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

I've said this before, but it is worth saying again.... Keep the local WCO's #'s handy and call on these ****holes.

You can find these cards at the Walnut Creek Access, I suggust everyone pick one up an keep them in there liceanse holder.
    post edited by Sculpin 14 - 2007/11/15 09:02:13

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    caddisx
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 09:22:15 (permalink)
    I have only been steelhead fishing once, actually three weeks ago on Elk below the legion hole, the conditions weren't great and ended up with three hookup's all day, two were on and off like that and one was soild which I got on a brown sucker spawn which I fought for a couple of minutes, but lost on 5x tippet (the water was very clear and low).  Anyways, there were three guys below me flyfishing, I was frustated with my first outting and sat down for a smoke to watch these guys to see if I wwas doing something wrong, cause they were the only ones catching fish.  They were casting rather eradically, really fast and spashy into these pods of steelies, just casting not setting up a good dead drift and catching fish hand over fist.  I can't see how this style of flyfishing, and I have been fly fishing for 6-7 years can be productive for any type of fishing and assumed they where just snagging the sh*t out of these fish. Am i rite or am i doing something wrong?
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 09:28:21 (permalink)
    They were most likely lining.

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 09:53:48 (permalink)
      That was a good show. I liked the one when they got the guys poachin sturgeon. It's a big problem on some rivers.

Don't worry be happy.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 10:00:52 (permalink)
    Did they have beagles with them to send into the brush pile ???  Dave
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 10:10:53 (permalink)
      I miss my beagles, that's why I'd like to take them guys rabbit huntin with me.

Didn't make it out for duck this morning either. Didn't feel like puttin on the wet/suit & flippers.
    I miss my springer for that

Be Happy
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 10:16:16 (permalink)
      Although I coulda taken the fishin pole with me to snag the downed ducks on the pond for the retrieve.

Just be Happy
    caddisx
    New Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 11:56:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

They were most likely lining.

Well what is "lining" then?
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 12:06:13 (permalink)
    quote:

ORIGINAL: rsquared

Also, I appreciate the explanation about lining.  I had heard that term used before, but never really understood it. 

The term "lining" refers to when your line drifts into a fishes mouth, often gets caught on their teeth, the current or the fish moving away causes the line to slide the fly into the fishes mouth. Often, but not always, the hook is lodged into the side of the fishes mouth, hook penetrating from the outside inwards, like the photo. This occurs more often with certain rigs and techniques. Especially the "chuck n' duck" rig often used for salmon fishing.  Basically it lots of weight several feet or more from the hook. When casted into fast current, the heavy weight ticks along the bottom, the current forces the line and hook down so that several feet or more of line is running horizontal along the bottom of the river. Generally the fish holding in that faster current are along the bottom and it's common for the line to enter their mouths. 

It is possible to line with other techniques, but that is the rig that leads to the most lining of fish. Some also call it "flossing".

What Bug described sounded more like outright snagging, also refered to some as "lifting". Let the hook drift near the head and "lift".

Bottom line is it's all crap.

Drippin'

Here's a definition from a previous thread......

caddisx
    New Angler
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 14:43:02 (permalink)
    HUH!!! So I am guessing lining is legal? Is it common enough that no one cares? Cause if it were illegal and I was you know, the MAN.... It would be fairly easy to "catch" these guys in the act cause it is fairly eradic and obvious.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 14:44:47 (permalink)
    No...it is illegal.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 16:04:01 (permalink)
    Snagging in any form is illegal, but if you have someone who really knows how to line fish well, it can be difficult to prove they are doing it.  The real obvious guys are the ones who are pulling the line sideways as it goes through the drift and lift quickly at the end of the drift.  Be careful about confronting someone who is doing this because they will usually deny it and/or tell you that is how you are supposed to catch steelies.

Another way to tell if this is what they are up to is to look at how they have the shot placed on their line.  If there is an excessive amount of shot for the conditions bunched up about a foot to two feet from the fly this should give you an idea either they really don't know how to put the shot on the line or they put it on that way intentionally.  A proper way to shot a line is to spread the shot out over the line or leader with as little shot as possible.  Most of the time you don't need very much at all.

A third sign someone is trying to line fish is to watch how they cast to the fish.  They will try to drop the weigh on the near side of the fish, right near their head and then swing the line around into the fish's mouth.  The casts will be usually pretty short and there will be little or no drift.  It is cast, wait, yank, cast, wait, yank, cast, wait, yank.... ad nauseum.  They may watch to see if the fish reacts to the line and then yank up quickly to pull the line through the mouth and set the hook.

BTW - you can line fish pretty easily using a noodle rod so this is not just something fly guys will do.

pax vobiscum +
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 17:37:53 (permalink)
    With that last explanation, I would assume lining is a rare occurence as it certainly sounds a whole lot more complicated than just fishing for them.  How does one acquire such detailed knowledge of the techniques used by "liners?"  Must have taken hours of observation... or practice.
    post edited by MackJ - 2007/11/15 17:38:41
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 19:36:54 (permalink)
    Or have someone who knows the details explain it to you and point out people doing it while you are on the stream.

pax vobiscum +
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 21:33:22 (permalink)
    Once someone learns to do it it's hard to break them of that habit.  My son started doing it at an early age and when he told me what he was doing I just stared at my young son with an unbelieving face for a few seconds and then had to tell him NOT to do it that way.  It's like any bad habit, it's good when you catch it early, it's easier to stop then.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/15 22:13:46 (permalink)
    At the risk of being beaten up by the other dougnuts... who have accused me of flossing kings

Why would you line fish that can be taken easily, most times, with a reasonable presentation....just ignorance and fish greed.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    AddictedAngler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/16 19:38:30 (permalink)
    I was unable to get any info on the truck because I did not know who it belonged to until they left and I was able to deduct who was driving what.Also I am a very out spoken person but 3 guys with green teeth on Crooked were not the people to mess with. I am almost certain they were driving the green truck so everyone can keep there eyes open for them.
    Also has anyone seen any Russians in recient times? Everyone is still blameing them and I haven't seen them for 3 or 4 weeks.My grand parents came from the Soviet Union and feel bad that most people are blaming them for everything.I know they were guilty and heard they were caught in the action. Hopefully they have spread the word about getting caught to there friends and that is the end of that problem. Tony
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/16 22:49:03 (permalink)
    Tippy,

MOST of the folks lining fish are not aware of what they are doing. That is the way they were taught to rig, and "fish" for them. They honestly believe that the fish is taking their bait. Many could be educated, but only if approached in a non-accusatory manner. Others will disbelieve, and still others simply won't care.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/16 23:01:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

You can find these cards at the Walnut Creek Access, I suggust everyone pick one up an keep them in there liceanse holder.

thanks sculpin, i programmed those cell numbers into my phone in case i want to report something, ive seen it many times...never knew who to call though...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Snagging of fish 2007/11/17 06:09:41 (permalink)
      You are right about some not even knowing they are snagging/lining. Hate to admit when I started steelhead fishing I was a liner and didn't even know it. Mind you this was 20 years ago, but I used to pound the hell out of them with small spoons. Didn't know any better wasn't anybody around to tell us different..We never did the cast and yank or lifting. Just cast till you lined one. Beings it was hooked in the mouth we felt it was a legally caught fish... 
      There is also a very fine line between lining and a bite. All it is is a turn of the head basically some takes are slams. And some are just that a turn of the head.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: