Help with float fishing set up.

Author
longknife
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/14 12:12:13 (permalink)

Help with float fishing set up.

I would like to try float fishing in a week or so (on the Salmon River) and don't really know how to rig up for this (line weight, size of shot, distance between shot, etc.).  Or if there is a web site to explain this, I would be interested in that as well.  And if you have some killer fly patterns that will work this time of the year, please include them.  Thanks in advance.

6 Replies Related Threads

RichW
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Help with float fishing set up. 2007/11/14 12:30:39 (permalink)
    http://www.salmoncrazy.com/vforums/archive/index.php/f-12.html

Try the above  center pin forum.  Found this to be very helpful.  You will find some great tips for beginners.

Also learned alot from  going out with guide.   It was well worth the  time and effort to learn from the best ( John and Andrea). 

http://nyfishtales.com/

Just got back last week from Centerpinning Fishing.  This was the best trip in years.  Still need help in landing them however.  That will come over time

Good Luck!
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Help with float fishing set up. 2007/11/14 21:56:03 (permalink)
    exactly what Rich Said- Both SC and NY FISHTALES- Johnny is the best pin guide on the river. Also try River Runs Rods forum. 
    longknife
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Help with float fishing set up. 2007/11/14 23:01:51 (permalink)
    Thanks RichW for the link.  I read a lot of the posts there and have a handle on the set up, but aside from egg sacs, what fly patterns would be best for the next 2-3 weeks?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Help with float fishing set up. 2007/11/15 08:53:27 (permalink)
    Glo bugs, stoneflys & Sucker Spawn is what I'd be taking.

Lyrical
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Help with float fishing set up. 2007/11/15 16:25:45 (permalink)
    Never hurts to try jigs in various colors and sizes.And small plastics made  by Berkley usually in a worm type form in different colors have to been known to work for time to time ;)
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Help with float fishing set up. 2007/11/23 10:09:31 (permalink)
    thoughts of giving happy thanks for all what we have , last night placed a free shipping no tax order for some terminal. I recalled using the rather larger sheffield #9 floats last trip to SR  as was recommended at that time by the tackle shop. Here oare some of the essentials pn stock. Few packs of the #2 sheffield (small but I like going small) That gulp 1" natural worm cause I was rumored it works sometimes, the large packs of smallest available barrels and #10 egg blackbirds some tippets maxima ultra green specifically 5lb. test is good to go on those line shy fish. Although it probably isn't recommended using superbraids on the SR notorious for troubled snag pile areas. I am accustomed to using the stuff as it has proven it's advantages for spinfishing  . Although I like 6lb. fireline as a main, I am willing to give the teflon smooth stealth spiderwire  a try. Again I would not recommend newbies trying to work this line on the SR or any free flowing snag prone estuary as I hate the thought of seeing this stuff which doesn't break down and can cut like a knife into unsuspecting waders or even worse the natural wildlife. If however you feel the stuff has special advantages as I do, when using the stuff  never forget using a barrel and monofiliment leader. I like it because of its features over mono for main in that it floats better thus allowing less arch drag durring a drift, very low if any stretch thus quicker response/sensitivity. Smaller dia making it easier to cast further than typical  larger dia. monos, And best of all no memory and so no worry about those annoying line twists that are almost always unavoidable when doing alot of casting and retrieving using a spinning reel. Word of precaution, never try and pop/break this line with your hands but use a stick instead should you happen to get any super line in a bad snag. The best human sportmen will kknow to collect any of this line and roll it up and melt it with a lighter should they see this or any other garbage line along any water they enjoy fishing.
    Jump to: