Waders?

Author
justinl8688
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/13 00:06:28 (permalink)

Waders?

I am planning on buying a new pair of waders thsi saturday at cabelas. I was fishing the salmon river this year and ruined my cabelas neoprene bootfoot waders. I plan on getting a stocking foot of some kind and buying a wading boot... I want to get a reliable pair that will keep me warm as well... What have you had good luck with?

2005 Triton TR21X
225 Mercury Optimax

21 Replies Related Threads

HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 00:25:03 (permalink)
    The regular 5mm neoprene chest waders they sell are good, i have a set, their thicker i believe and are made for colder trips like winter, early spring and late fall but i wear them thru the summer even tho you roast if its really hot. The first pair i bought was like 5 or 6 years ago, i bought a new pair 2 years ago, and gave my old 1s to my buddy and he wears them and they still don't leak even with 1 of the knee pads ripped off, i banged on them pretty bad too when i had them, my new pair i ripped from a slip on gravel this year and put some kind of glue on the tear and their like brand new again, i would recommend them to anyone, they can take a beating and still keep you dry, warm in the winter too if you wear under armour with them to absorb your sweat, id say the only problem with them is the knee pad stitching does tend to come apart after a while but they really don't make a difference to me. As for boots, i have their cheap $50 ultralight wading boot and i've had them since i bought my first set of waders and they still work fine.

Ronnie
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6343
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 00:30:42 (permalink)
    justin,
         If you want to stay warm get the thicker neo's.  As far as my limited knowledge goes neo's come in 3 - 4 -5 and 7 mm.  The 7 mm are for people who have to be in cold water for a long time every day.  The more common are 3's and 4's.  I have a pair of Hodgeman (sp) 5 mm's that I use for duck and deer hunting.  You can't move around as much but they do keep you warm.  Also get a pair that are a little large so you can wear extra clothes under them. (layering).  Check out the store branded stuff when you get to the store. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 06:47:14 (permalink)
    Simms
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 07:28:31 (permalink)
    Simms.

pax vobiscum +
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 08:48:29 (permalink)
    I dont even use neopremes.  I do alot of walking and if u work up a sweat u have to deal with all that condensatioin inside the 'premes, it can get pretty cold.  I prefer flyweights because they breathe all that moisture out, with fleece pants and long johns I don't really feel the effects of the water.  I'd reccomend Korker Boots too, i have a pair and Love em'.  Simms ur just paying for the name.  I think neopremes are good for people who just park and cast, but for the hiker/adventurer i'd choose flyweights, just my opinion. 
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 09:03:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loomis

I dont even use neopremes.  I do alot of walking and if u work up a sweat u have to deal with all that condensatioin inside the 'premes, it can get pretty cold.  I prefer flyweights because they breathe all that moisture out, with fleece pants and long johns I don't really feel the effects of the water.  I'd reccomend Korker Boots too, i have a pair and Love em'.  Simms ur just paying for the name.  I think neopremes are good for people who just park and cast, but for the hiker/adventurer i'd choose flyweights, just my opinion. 

i agree your only paying for the name with simms. i have cabelas guidewear dry plus's and i paid 189 for them on sale. i was ready to dump as much as it takes to get a good pair which included buying simms if need be. in the end these things looked the same or better in every aspect at half the price. i really beat the snot out of waders and these things have held up well past my expectations so far.

also with a set of thermal underware or fleece pants they are warm even in the coldest water. also korkers are cool for versatility but i ended up getting cabelas ultra light wading boots. they were rediculously light compared to the others. i cover a lot of ground when i wade 1+ miles usually so it was a big influence on the weight of the boot.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 10:13:13 (permalink)
    I have the Cabela's 3mm stocking foot waders and they work fine for me. I've had to patch a couple snags I got on them before they got bad, but have not had any leaks in the 5 yrs I've had them. They're warm enough for me that in the winter I wear a pair of sweatpants and an extra pair of socks. If the weather isn't below 45, then I'll just wear a pair of shorts underneath because they get too warm when moving. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a pair for steelies. If you want a summer pair, then they may be a little too warm.
    Like hardcore, I also have the $50 lightweight boots and have never had any problems with them.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 10:28:06 (permalink)
    --Simms, you're paying for the name.

That's about a joke.  4 years of getting the §hit beat out of them and still strong. 

fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 10:50:45 (permalink)
    Simms. 4 years, 60 - 70 days a year, all weather conditions, never take care of them, still going strong.
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 11:08:56 (permalink)
    Simms G3's- I beatthe hell out of these waders, and they're still going. Best wadrers IMO. Having said that, if you are a casual angler, do they make sense? Not really... but if you put serious time on them, they are definitely worth the $. Patagonia runs a close 2nd...

$.02
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 16:22:41 (permalink)
    Simms you are defantely not paying for the name their products work perfect. The products they make are durable and will last you a very long time. You can move in breathables so well its great. MY pair have been through wars it seems like but they dont have a rip and their great. Their worth the money if you walk or just fishing right outside on your local stream they are great waders and will pay off on how long you will own them. When I do fish I walk alot the Simms waders just fit my needs
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 18:43:14 (permalink)
    Well I have a pair of Simms guides and guess what my right heal got wet Saturday. I take care of them and have actually washed and retreated with Revive twice. They are only 2 years old. I sent them back to Simms today. I'll keep you posted as to how they treat me.
    Thank goodness I have a back up, 3 day shipping with UPS was $40+. Sent them USPS instead.
    Chris
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2007/11/13 18:45:55
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 21:06:26 (permalink)
    Had a pair of hodgeman and stearns breathables both of which lasted less than a year each.  I bought a pair of cabelas dry-medal gold plus( $150 on sale) going on my 3rd year with them....no leaks although they do have a few patches....both from my stupidity.  I spend at least 50 days a year in them.....

As far as Simms, I agree your spending money on the name.  To me its not worth 300 bucks to have 5 letters printed across your chest.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 22:36:26 (permalink)
    yeah and how about 700 dollar waders that you can unzip to Pee in?  Im sorry but its just not worth it to many anglers..im not saying simms isn't good, but waders dont make you a better fisherman, the money would be better spent on a rod that controls and mends alot better than the one you have.  Nothing I own is junk by any means, but Simms is just simply too expensive, when you fish like we all who have posted say we do its hard to get any equipment to stand up to the test.  Wader leaks are common to the best of brands, its just how we use the product. 
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 23:20:07 (permalink)
    I would rather spend that much money on some kind of cheaper gun that would last a lifetime then a pair of waders that might last a few years if your lucky.

Ronnie
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/13 23:38:11 (permalink)
    I actually just purchased a new pair of waders last weekend. I was wearing some cheap Hodgemann breathables with the matching cheap boots, been through three pairs of the boots but the waders themselves have been pretty good to me, just noticed the neoprene booties starting to wear a little...no leak or anything so they'll be used as backup.

I picked up a pair of Guide Series breathables for $80. I've had good experience with Guide Series stuff in the past so the decision was easy. I also picked up a pair of Korkers boots, not sure without looking the exact name...but they are the ones where you can choose between rubber or felt on the bottom. Pretty satisified with them, too.

I'm sure Simms is good, no doubt, but I think the extra money can be used towards more important equipment, especially for the budget minded angler. Unless you're falling all over the place, walking through thick brush or crawling around on gravel, there's no reason a cheaper pair of waders can't last just as long as a $300 plus pair if you take care of them.

If I'd originally bought a nice pair of wading boots instead of the cheaper variety, the Hodgemann's I have would be like new. I think with the lack of support and strength, they've attributed to some minor wear in the neoprene. This is after a year and a half of use, and trust me when I say -- I fish often.

As far as breathable versus neoprene...personally, after trying both, I prefer breathable. I started out with neoprenes and if you fish year round, the summer can be brutal and even in the colder months if you hike quite a bit because of the sweat transcending into cold moisture. Underarmour, felt, etc. under breathables and you're perfectly fine...not to mention it's much more easier to move around in. If you choose neoprene, be sure not to fold them in the exact spot after each use as this will attribute to uneven wear and possibly crack where they've constantly been folded. I'd bought a hanger with the ones I had so they were virtually never folded after use.
    post edited by ronnie84 - 2007/11/14 00:19:39
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/15 22:29:48 (permalink)
    I've worn Cabelas' Premium Dry Plus breathable waders for the last seven years. 

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat350005&rid=&indexId=cat350005&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat350005&id=0011367

I got five years out of the first pair and I'm on the third year of my most recent pair.  I had to send my intial ones back after getting a leak in the neoprene bootie.  They replaced them for free because they were under the one year warranty.  Do not tug aggressively on the wet booties when pulling them off.  Instead take your time and gently do it.  A Cabelas rep told me when wet they can spring a leak easily if ripped off.  My next pair, in a couple of seasons, will either be  breathables by Cabelas or Simms.  Just so they have a zipper, lol!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Waders? 2007/11/16 07:30:49 (permalink)
    I have a pair of the cheaper stocking foot Simms waders that I bought on sale at Whitakers for around $100--previous years model.  This is my second year with them and I am totally happy thus far, although I don't fish as much as most on this board.  Alot of people on here feel that stocking foot breathables are fine for winter use but not for me.  Even with plenty of insulation and the toe popper foot warmers, my feet get cold in stocking foot waders with the water pressing against the foot.  I don't fish alot in the winter months but do go occasionally, so I bought a cheap pair of boot foot neoprenes for the winter months and find that my feet stay much warmer in them.  IMHO there is not a "wader for all seasons" out there.  If I had to pick just one wader though, it would be the breathable ones by far.
    theyjustswimup
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Waders? 2007/12/04 15:54:11 (permalink)
    i use cabelas 3 mm neopreane stocking foots with some cheap hodgman boots.  My neo's are only waiste high and i like them a lot more because you do not have to wrestle them over your shoulder and they are still a warmer wader that will keep you mobile

Why walk on water when we've got boats?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Waders? 2007/12/05 15:29:20 (permalink)
    I dig sno seal. Do you think it would be effective on what I believe are "seeping" booties? Or would it be bad news?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    RE: Waders? 2007/12/05 20:01:20 (permalink)
    After wearing breathables for a few years, I wore my neos last time I went fishing. Think I'll stick with the breathables the neos are too restricting. Think I'll invest in some under armor tho.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Jump to: