Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/22 23:39:34 (permalink)

Semi Autos

For predator hunting, I would like to see restrictions lifted except during any deer or turkey seasons, to utilize AR type platforms. I would oppose the use for deer as I believe that would cause a lot of poor, rapid shots in woods and fields, but if you are after a yote in february and want to take advantage of one of the deadly AR variations, or other semi auto, I say go to it. I'd even agree to say, a ten round clip max if they are available.

Woodchucks come to mind also... I may have killed a few of those with semi autos already haha

45 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/22 23:49:55 (permalink)
    I have used my AR H3 Elite and an HK PSG-1 in PA
    Drill 2 holes through clip just below the ramp
    Put a long rivet in each hole now you have a single shot auto ejecting rifle
    Expect some harassment but it is legal.
    These guns are too nice not to kill a few hogs with or snipe a yote 

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/23 23:22:56 (permalink)
    Whats an AR H3 ? You talking about the H3 buffer? Or did you mean A3 configuration?
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

I have used my AR H3 Elite and an HK PSG-1 in PA
    Drill 2 holes through clip just below the ramp
    Put a long rivet in each hole now you have a single shot auto ejecting rifle
    Expect some harassment but it is legal.
    These guns are too nice not to kill a few hogs with or snipe a yote 

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/24 02:11:47 (permalink)
    H3 was Typo meant A3
    CAR A3 HBAR Elite
    Colt Accurized Rifle
    First one I bought then sold had an 8-24x75mm ATN scope

New toy has a few upgrades

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/24 07:58:52 (permalink)
    Yep all for it.  Long overdue for small game and predators.  I even support them for big game with a 5 round mag restriction.

But, as with many things in Pa, we are about 20-30 years behind other states when it comes to these things.  Kinda like Sunday hunting. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/30 04:34:12 (permalink)

Old toy before i sold it -3 lb trigger was the lightest I could go
    New AR has a better scope and 2 stage trigger to reduce doubles

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/30 07:30:37 (permalink)
    Hunt south WV has laws permitting semi's. I've hunted there and It was a bit scary.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/30 12:20:16 (permalink)
    The trigger fix for AR's made by Timney is awesome from what I hear, plus more and more manufacturers are focusing building rifles indended primarily for hunting, not combat. With the kind of shooting I consistantly hear during firearms season here with guys working bolts, levers, and pumps, I would hesitate to give the ok for big game. Oh, and Sunday hunting would be nice too... maybe someday
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/31 12:45:18 (permalink)
    I have hunted WV and really never heard anything down there shot wise that I haven't heard here in PA.  I see more levers and pumps down there than anything, although some do carry the semis.  I don't see many bolts down and have received some funny looks for carrying "one of them there fancy bolt guns" 

Like mentioned above, guys working a pump or lever can throw lead at about the same rate as a semi can.  I really would have no problem with semis being legal for big game statewide here in PA.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/31 21:10:20 (permalink)
    I hunted near Richwood WV and carried a bolt Model Seven. I also got the same remarks but after a two day hunt my baby bolt killed the largest buck. I even heard some of those boys light off an Auto from time to time. I don't see any reason for using an auto loader here in Pa and could care less about them being legal for game other than predators.
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

I have hunted WV and really never heard anything down there shot wise that I haven't heard here in PA.  I see more levers and pumps down there than anything, although some do carry the semis.  I don't see many bolts down and have received some funny looks for carrying "one of them there fancy bolt guns" 

Like mentioned above, guys working a pump or lever can throw lead at about the same rate as a semi can.  I really would have no problem with semis being legal for big game statewide here in PA.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/31 21:34:20 (permalink)
    Well I guess my opinion is based on the fact that people can already hunt with auto sluggers in Allegheny Co here.  I see just as many nitwits firing off from the hip with the pumps than I do with the autos.  I personally wouldn't hunt with one, but to me it wouldn't change things all that much.

We hunted closer to Elkins when we were there.  There was lots of public land, lots of hunters, and lots of deer.  I did see a few nice bucks at the check points, but all of the bucks I saw firsthand killed off the WMAs were runts and the locals made a big deal about 12" 6 points.  I have taken some doe down there and I have to laugh when I look at the pics of the last doe(adult) I killed down there, it was honestly 50-60# dressed soaking wet....lol
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/03/31 23:12:35 (permalink)
    Ive hunted a lot of property in WV some private and some public. The biggest buck I shot there was in Pocahontas County near Cranberry Glades. I went back into a wilderness area about 3 miles and found lots of sign. I shot a nice heavy tall 6 point with an inside spread of 19.5" Not a lot of deer there but the ones I had seen where big. Archery hunted as well as muzzleloaderin WV and never had issues with the herd. WV has a lot to offer. The residents can shoot several deer so size usually isn't a problem.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/01 10:26:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures
     I don't see any reason for using an auto loader here in Pa and could care less about them being legal for game other than predators.

Predators and small game should be a no brainer as far as I am concerned.  As legitimate sporting arms, semis should be legal for all species and seasons.  No reason that we can use semi shotguns for rabbits statewide and deer in Allegheny County but can't use a semi .22 or .270 for squirrels and deer elswhere.

As hunters and gun owners, it is in our best interest to fully support everyone's right to choose which sporting arm to use in the field. 

countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/01 11:05:11 (permalink)
    I have some family just over cheat mountain but have never hunted in WV, figure they give you more tags there because two average WV deer equal one average sized PA farmland deer haha
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/01 17:32:44 (permalink)
    Yea it all depends, Pa has some tiny deer as well especially up north.DPMS why do you like an Autoloader over a manual action rifle for big or small game ?
    ORIGINAL: countryfisher

I have some family just over cheat mountain but have never hunted in WV, figure they give you more tags there because two average WV deer equal one average sized PA farmland deer haha

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/01 22:35:41 (permalink)

.DPMS why do you like an Autoloader over a manual action rifle for big or small game ?

Not sure I would prefer a autoloader or not over a manual action for hunting applications.  With my AR-15, I could see the lightweight, short overall length and the ability to switch uppers as a cool feature in a hunting rifle. 

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/02 00:01:11 (permalink)
       No matter where I hunt Deer I use some kind of single shot . Just a personal preference- Muzzel speaks for itself and for rifle  I use a Ruger #1.
      Small game- use a pump gun-rarely have more than 2 in it.
    Here in Ct I get really upset hearing bangbangbang during Deer season- aint no way in gods creation those second two shots are going anywhere close- just a point and pray after #1. Hear it in other states too.
    Ya cant legislate common sense and there are way too many guys who spray and pray. Guess Deer make some people nuts.
    Not talking bout the straight hunter who aims and shoots more than once- those shots are spaced, but the Bangbangbang is all too common.
      Typical case of -- Yeeee Haaaaa--and the responsible guy gets boned
        BTW- I'd be a bit careful simply  altering a clip- lots of the laws refer to a guns "capability"--not sure how that would go in a court having only altered the clip cause the gun is still capable of more.  Maybee its no different than a plug in the shotgun limiting shells but I'd sure find out first. I'd want a legal opinion too not just asking a lot of L/E till ya find one who agrees with you. There may be lots of opinions out there but the only one that will matter is in court.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/04/02 00:08:31
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/02 00:40:46 (permalink)
    OK. Many hunting riles are light weight with 18" barrels (6.2 lbs) vs the 14.5" M4 carbine. Many hunting rifles have the option of swapping out the barrel in a large number of calibers. The upper receivers available for an AR platform are very limited to caliber choice. No big deal was just wondering after your post #12.
    ORIGINAL: dpms

.DPMS why do you like an Autoloader over a manual action rifle for big or small game ?

Not sure I would prefer a autoloader or not over a manual action for hunting applications.  With my AR-15, I could see the lightweight, short overall length and the ability to switch uppers as a cool feature in a hunting rifle. 

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/02 00:43:17 (permalink)
    I also agree on your second paragraph and below post.
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

No matter where I hunt Deer I use some kind of single shot . Just a personal preference- Muzzel speaks for itself and for rifle  I use a Ruger #1.
    Small game- use a pump gun-rarely have more than 2 in it.
    Here in Ct I get really upset hearing bangbangbang during Deer season- aint no way in gods creation those second two shots are going anywhere close- just a point and pray after #1. Hear it in other states too.
    Ya cant legislate common sense and there are way too many guys who spray and pray. Guess Deer make some people nuts.
    Not talking bout the straight hunter who aims and shoots more than once- those shots are spaced, but the Bangbangbang is all too common.
    Typical case of -- Yeeee Haaaaa--and the responsible guy gets boned
       BTW- I'd be a bit careful simply  altering a clip- lots of the laws refer to a guns "capability"--not sure how that would go in a court having only altered the clip cause the gun is still capable of more.  Maybee its no different than a plug in the shotgun limiting shells but I'd sure find out first. I'd want a legal opinion too not just asking a lot of L/E till ya find one who agrees with you. There may be lots of opinions out there but the only one that will matter is in court.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/02 10:20:54 (permalink)

The upper receivers available for an AR platform are very limited to caliber choice.

There are dozens now I believe from .223 through 300WSM.  450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowolf.  Big bore thumpers that can take anything.  I would probably opt for 7MM-08.  DPMS offers that caliber in their uppers.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/03 02:03:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

The upper receivers available for an AR platform are very limited to caliber choice.

There are dozens now I believe from .223 through 300WSM.  450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowolf.  Big bore thumpers that can take anything.  I would probably opt for 7MM-08.  DPMS offers that caliber in their uppers.

I could only come up with LESS than ONE dozen.. Uppers only and many won't accept the lower receiver so now you talking about replacing both. Many mag wells won't accept the rounds from big bores. Not very economical to replace both to hunt with.

.17 .204 .223 .243 .260
    ArmaLite N N Y Y
    LP Y
    Bushmaster N N Y N N
    Colt N N Y N N
    DPMS N Y Y Y Y
    L&G Weaponry N N Y N N
    Smith & Wesson M&P N N Y N N
    Olympic Arms Y
    LN N Y Y
    SSM N
    Remington N Y Y Y N
    Rock River N N Y N N
    Spikes Tactical N N Y N N
    Stag Arms N N Y N N
    Wilson Combat N N Y N N

.30 Rem AR 7mm-08 .308 .338 Federal .450 Bush master .458 Socom
    ArmaLite N Fall 2010 Y N N N
    Bushmaster N N N N Y N
    Colt N N N N N N
    DPMS Y N Y Y N N
    L&G Weaponry N Y N N N Y
    Smith & Wesson M&P N N N N N N
    Olympic Arms N N N N N N
    Remington Y Y Y N N N
    Rock River N N Y N N Y
    Spikes Tactical N N N N N N
    Stag Arms N N N N N N
    Wilson Combat N N N N N N
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/03 10:16:43 (permalink)
    Looks about right. Throw in the the 6.8 spc, 7.62X39, 50 Beowolf, Creedmore, 50BMG, 300 Whisper, .45acp, 10mm, 7mmTCU and Grendel as well.  Maybe some day I will get to throw a 7MM-08 upper on and go deer hunting in Pa. 

Basically someone can take any AR15 lower and be able to swap uppers to handle everything from small game to dangerous game with todays offerings.  Really has become a very versatile sporting rifle that many states allow.
    post edited by dpms - 2011/04/03 10:35:42

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/03 17:00:31 (permalink)
    Basically someone can take "any AR15 lower" and be able to swap uppers to handle everything from small game to dangerous game with todays offerings.

No, Like I said earlier, Many lowers will not except the larger mags into their mag well so a lower has to be purchased to accept the uppers larger caliber. This gets to be pricey.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/03 17:07:30 (permalink)
    Yes.  That is true in some cases. 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/04 12:34:13 (permalink)

Yea it all depends, Pa has some tiny deer as well especially up north.DPMS why do you like an Autoloader over a manual action rifle for big or small game ?
    ORIGINAL: countryfisher

Not sure about the AR-type rifles, but Browning makes (made) and autoloader.  Since it was gas operated, there was a reduced recoil sensation.  That could be a plus for a smaller size person that wishes to use a little larger caliber without increasing the recoil.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/04 20:01:10 (permalink)
    Yes but a factory "managed recoil" load would produce the same results.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/05 07:46:56 (permalink)

Yes but a factory "managed recoil" load would produce the same results.

Presuming that they are available in the caliber that you want, which they may not be, while that may be true on the recoil end, the result on the terminal end may not be what is desired.

As an example, I ended up on an elk hunt with a gentleman that was about 130 pounds if he was soaking wet.  He was shooting a Browning auto in 300 Winchester with a relatively heavy bullet.  The autoloader permitted him to do that.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/05 19:24:42 (permalink)
    Here is a summary of the published ballistics of the .270 Win., 7mm Rem. Mag., .308 Win., .30-06, and .300 Win. Mag. Managed-Recoil cartridges (velocity in feet per second and energy in foot pounds):

.270/115 - MV 2710, V @ 200 yds 2133; ME 1875, E @ 200 yds 1161.
    7mm Mag/140 - MV 2710, V @ 200 yds 2265; ME 2283, E @ 200 yds 1595.
    .308/125 - MV 2660, V @ 200 yds 2034; ME 1964, E @ 200 yds 1148.
    .30-06/125 - MV 2660, V @ 200 yds 2034; ME 1964, E @ 200 yds 1148.
    .300 Mag/150 - 2650, V @ 200 yds 2113; ME 2339, E @ 200 yds 1486.
    Here are the trajectories for the Managed-Recoil loads, based on a 150 yard zero with a scoped rifle:

.270/115 - +1" @ 100 yds, 0 @ 150 yds, -2.7" @ 200 yds, -7.4" @ 250 yds.
    7mm Mag/140 - +1" @ 100 yds, 0 @ 150 yds, -2.5" @ 200 yds, -6.7" @ 250 yds.
    .308/125 - +1.1" @ 100 yds, 0 @ 150 yds, -3" @ 200 yds, -8" @ 250 yds.
    .30-06/125 - +1.1" @ 100 yds, 0 @ 150 yds, -3" @ 200 yds, -8" @ 250 yds.
    .300 Mag/150 - +1.0" @ 100 yds, 0 @ 150 yds, -2.7" @ 200 yds, -7.4" @ 250 yds.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/05 19:35:04 (permalink)
    Now here is the data for a 300 win standard 150 factory load.

http://www.remington.com/comparison.aspx
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Semi Autos 2011/04/05 19:36:23 (permalink)
    We were hunting elk.  All but the 140 in 7mm and 150 in 300 Win are too light and even those two are marginal.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: