Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/12 22:02:11 (permalink)

Disgrace on Elk

Saw two stringers left on Elk with one dead fish on each. I really hope it was just a forgetful angler.

Oh yea, that same forgetful angler also left a full bottle of Mt. Dew there.

If you left the fish there on purpose, may you never hook a fish again as long as you live.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability

31 Replies Related Threads

HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 00:29:04 (permalink)
    When i was at Walnut 2 weeks ago fishing Manchester, somebody snagged a stringer with 2 fish on it, the fella that snagged them let them go but i'm sure it tore the hell outta their gills and they probably didn't make it long after. I'm sure it was fun fighting 2 at once tho.

Ronnie
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 01:02:11 (permalink)
    Fished Elk about 3 weeks ago and saw a similar situation.  Saw 2 fish hangin out in some shallows with a green "rope"  hanging out of their mouths.  Not a person within 75 yards.  My buddy snagged them up and we asked everyone we saw if it was theirs, no one claimed them.  My buddy took them home and gave them to a relative.

Unbelievable people are that stupid to lose stringers. How hard is it to take the time and properly secure your stringer if you choose to keep fish???? Sad thing is ill bet you the same guy was somewhere in the area ropin another limit.
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 06:45:24 (permalink)
    That storys defanitely fits the topic
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 07:34:21 (permalink)
    Spoon,
    Where were you when you were needed. LOL
    Hopefully they(anglers)  were around  and just didn't want to drag them around spot to spot and would have picked them up on the way back through
    Mike
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 07:39:10 (permalink)
    Many years ago I use to use the steel clip stringer type. One day the creeks were flowing pretty hard. I had 2 fish on my stringer clipped to my hip boot. I started walking up stream and noticed my left boot got very light all of a sudden. I looked down and low and behold both fish were gone. Here the clips bent open and " released" both fish. I only use rope stringers because of that lesson.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 07:40:16 (permalink)
    I feel if you want to keep fish and put them on a stringer, you have a responsibility to take care of them.  I can understand not wanting to carry them around, but you should keep them fairly close to where you are fishing. 

pax vobiscum +
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 08:06:53 (permalink)
    If I plan on keeping any fish, and I do on occasion, but none yet this year, I try to gill them(bleed them out) and get them on ice/snow ASAP. Don't like to leave them in the water for any lenght of time dead or alive. I'll make the trip back to the car with one fish just to keep it fresh.  

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 08:32:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noplacelikehome

Many years ago I use to use the steel clip stringer type. One day the creeks were flowing pretty hard. I had 2 fish on my stringer clipped to my hip boot. I started walking up stream and noticed my left boot got very light all of a sudden. I looked down and low and behold both fish were gone. Here the clips bent open and " released" both fish. I only use rope stringers because of that lesson.

I can see that happening, but these fish were about 100 yards apart on rope stringers firmly stuck into the bank.  In fact, they looked like they'd just been opened, never used before.  We fished that run for at least an hour, near dark, and nobody else even looked at them.  We left them hoping, like a few here, that the owners would be back down stream for them on their way out.  I've got a hunch we'd be disappointed in the truth.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 08:55:21 (permalink)
    While fishing Elk on Sunday a gentleman landed a pretty decent sized steelie and asked me to take his picture with his camera.  I obliged.  Instead of holding the fish near the water, he stood up with the fish and proceded to drop the fish on the rocks, twice.  As he released the fish, it beagan to go belly up.  I said I hoped he had a stringer.  His reply was that he didn't keep these "stinkin" fish, and there's thousands in the stream, so what's another dead one.  I walked into the water and was able to revive the fish.  It did finally swim away and seemed to be all right.  I guess.  What bothers me most is the mentality I've seen this year with people handling fish.  It's true there are thousands of fish in the streams, but I've seen way too much dropping of fish, kicking fish back into the water, and lifting them by the gills and then throwing them back in.  And not caring that they're doing so.  Sorry, just my rant from this past weekend's experience.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 09:10:59 (permalink)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you supposed to stay within sight or at least close proximity to the fish you roped ? Is it in the regs somewhere ? Dave
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 09:16:36 (permalink)
    ****DELETED****
    post edited by mikeg - 2007/11/13 09:26:14
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 09:36:24 (permalink)

walcxat,  don't you have ANYthing else to do ?

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 10:23:08 (permalink)
    Loopy makes a good point.  Even though there are a lot of fish in the streams, there is absolutely no reason to abuse the ones you happen to hook.  Even if you are going to keep one, handle it with care. 

As for kicking, there is kicking and there is guiding the fish with your foot.  I try not to touch the fish if possible.  I land then on some gravel or slate, pull out the hook with hemostats and then use my foot to push the fish back into the water. 

If I decide to keep one, I put it on a rope, and tie the rope to a rock or log and leave the fish alive until I am ready to leave.  Right before I leave, I bleed the fish by cutting it just below the gills and inserting the knife into its heart.  I put the fish back into the water and let it bleed.  This has worked well for me.  When I get home, which is only about 20 minutes away, I immediately gut the fish, remove the gills and wash out the body cavity to remove all the blood.  The fish is then put into the refrig or immediately delivered to the person I am giving the fish to.

Some will disagree with keeping the fish alive on a rope, but from my experience it seems to keep the fish fresher than killing it immediately when the temperatures are warm.  When there is snow on the ground and the temp's are at or below freezing, killing and bleeding the fish and then puting it in the snow is actually not a bad idea.  

Whatever you do in regards to keeping fish, please only keep those you can use and release the rest carefully.

pax vobiscum +
    Maxx12
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 10:28:49 (permalink)
    Loopy
    I believe that the man was in violation buy injuring said fish and not keeping it. Too bad no warden or deputy wasn't there to see this. I would advise that if the person persisted in this practice to use cell phone to call wardens or travel to the Walnut creek office to report these violations.

maxx12
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 12:00:29 (permalink)
    It all comes down to respect.... respect the fish as God's creation, try and be humane, kill only what u must and don't waste it.  Respect other fisherman, respect the streams and the property you're on. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 12:31:22 (permalink)
    Tippee, your such a jacker, I saw you carry two out on a stringer. What about all those dead salmon you left up at the DSR. I can't believe that T.T. and Loopy would fish with you.
    Ax
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 12:43:16 (permalink)
    Here is one that fits this category.

I was at Elk access early in the year.  Fishing off the rock wall at night.  While I was there fishing two guys came in.  We were all catching fish.  This was before the rain so they were stacked in there.  Well the two guys next to me caught a few nice fish and decided to keep one a piece.  No big deal.  But this is like 4:30 or 5 AM.  So they rope them and tie them to the rocks.  Well one of the guys starts complaining about the cement he got in his eye at work.  So he goes and lays in the car about and hour or so later on his body goes to check on him.  He comes back and says my buddies eye hurts but he didnt care cause he was cathing fish.  Still ok.  So at about 7:45 or 8 AM this guy who is still fishing next to me decides it is time to leave cause it got crowded no big deal.  So he just leaves.  Well as he is walking away I remember that he left his fish so I am yelling to him about his fish.  He just ignored me.  Now I was in a dilema.  Do I take these guys fish and give them away or do I just leave them there and hope they come back.  Well I changed spots and wasnt realy thinking about this other guys fish.  So I went upstream to see some guys I know.  well then I go back to the trailer and come back at 4 pm and start fishing the same area I was in the AM and low and behold I see the ropes still.  I was amazed.  I was like I cant believe this.  Then right before dark this joker comes back to the same spot and grabs the fish.  I said to him why not take them before.  His answer I didnt want my car/ truck to stink.  Almost fell in the water from this answer.  Next time I see him do something like this sorry but a WCO is getting called.  he left these fish there for almost 14 hours.  That is obviously not right.

My opinion is take the fish with you when ever you move or dont keep them at all until you are ready to leave.

Sorry for the long post but it hit this topic well.
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 12:43:49 (permalink)
    Loopy, was the guy that dropped the fish onto the rocks tippy?  B/c I know I've seen him do the same thing a bunch of times.  Just thought i would let you know that of him, since you guys are big fishing buddies now.
    bert34200
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 18:56:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fisherofmen376

It all comes down to respect.... respect the fish as God's creation, try and be humane, kill only what u must and don't waste it.  Respect other fisherman, respect the streams and the property you're on. 

i think everyone should read this post a few times..fisherofmen, you hit the nail on the head.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 19:50:39 (permalink)
    CC and TB, can you guys ever post anything useful??? or are you just on here to wait till I post and then bust my balls???

Just curious.

I have definitely drop some fish in my day, but I try to take care of them as much as I can.... besides, TB, you have no room to talk. I saw you just about kill one of the few remaining Arctic Grayling in the Big Hole River, while filming, measuring and taking 15 pictures.

BTW, I never fished with Loopy.
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/11/13 19:54:46

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Jigmaster1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 22:27:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: HardCore Fisher

When i was at Walnut 2 weeks ago fishing Manchester, somebody snagged a stringer with 2 fish on it, the fella that snagged them let them go but i'm sure it tore the hell outta their gills and they probably didn't make it long after. I'm sure it was fun fighting 2 at once tho.

Ronnie

I was fishing there when they guy lost his stringer. He started wading in the Manchester hole trying to find it. You guessed it. The F bomb's started flying everywhere so the man gave up looking.

Jm1
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 22:36:16 (permalink)
    Must of been before i got there that morning, i only remember a guy that snagged a stringer with 2 fish on it and he let em go an kept the stringer.

Ronnie
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 22:46:00 (permalink)
    Talk about horrible.

HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 22:51:43 (permalink)
    I take it somebody left that somewhere along 1 of the creeks up there.

Ronnie
    post edited by HardCore Fisher - 2007/11/13 22:52:11
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 22:53:10 (permalink)
    I saw this near the wall at Walnut while fishing there late one night a few weeks ago.
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/13 22:58:21 (permalink)
    I can't figure out why sum1 would keep a fish like in the picture and then end up throwing it out, what a waste, they'll get there punishment some day.

Ronnie
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/14 06:16:31 (permalink)
    I can't believe how everyone seems to overlook the logic of the picture above-- clearly the fish was left exposed to keep the raccoons from tearing up the garbage bags. 
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/14 07:11:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: smallhook

Talk about horrible.

I'm going to take a guess and say that fish was kept for the eggs. It appears to be a hen.
    Go look in the dumpsters at Elk and Walnut access. There are always hens in there that are
    raped for their eggs. It's a part of the "game" that guys who don't fish with eggs don't like.

I just returned from New York. Up there, on every stream I fished, there were Browns laying
    along the shore with their bellys slit open. They don't even dispose of them. Just let them lay.

post edited by FlashDance - 2007/11/14 07:12:36
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Disgrace on Elk 2007/11/14 11:35:39 (permalink)
    Another thought on the subject is that those fish on that stringer were some licensed fisherman and by buying that license he has bought the RIGHT to keep 3 per day....  :)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: