Journal

Author
Reel_Big_Fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/15 20:19:53 (permalink)

Journal

Hey all, some time back I started to write stories of my fly fishing experiences. I have been a long time reader of this site and really enjoy reading some of other guys writings so I thought maybe I'd post one of mine on here to see what you guys thought?

Family Tradition
Much in the same way Hank Williams Jr. sings about acting the way he does because of his genes, the outdoors is much the same. Being exposed to the outdoors at a young age has had an impact on my life in ways that can’t be realized fully right now. Being from rural Pennsylvania means a few things. First off there is never really much to do unless you drive somewhere else and second the outdoors is a vital part of our lifestyle. Mostly everyone’s grandparents either worked in the steel mills or the coal mines and that has bred a sense of gritty toughness that carried over to our sportsmanship. It was understood that fishing and hunting were to happen come hell or high water. Maybe now we don’t have such a rough life compared to them but the resolute passion for the outdoors has remained instilled in us all. I remember back when I was maybe in fifth grade my dad and his friend were headed up to camp to fish for the weekend. Something came up and I was unable to go and I still remember crying in the garage as they pulled away. That seems rather embarrassing to admit but it shows just how much fly fishing means to me. Isn’t that the great thing about fishing, it can mean something completely different to anyone. Some may use it as a stress relief while some may just like to be outside and it’s as good excuse as any. Fishing can be whatever we want to be and can be molded to fill our own specific needs. Personally I think the ideal day would involve a nice hike up into the hills and fishing dries for beautiful wild trout. The fish may not be really big and the walk in is strenuous and the walk back no easier, but to me that is truly fishing. Being that in tune with nature and fishing for trout that have never seen the inside of a stocking truck. Now there are those who would never “waste” a day fishing for those little dinky fish. That’s fine by me for two reasons. Number one in ensures that there won’t ever be much traffic on the streams I like. And number two everyone in entitled to their own style of fishing. If someone wants to fish with bait on a stocked lake then so be it. I have trouble finding a whole lot of value in that kind of fishing but hey, whatever you’re into I suppose. There seems to be some major animosity between bait fishermen and fly fishermen doesn’t there? Being on the fly fishing side you would think I would be overly biased, but I can see why people look down on each respective group. We fly fishermen do have a tendency towards snobbishness and bait fishermen are often known for being litterbugs and keeping their limit of fish. Of course there are some shades of grey with each, but without being too objective I must say I see more empty jars of salmon eggs and packs of hooks on the bank as opposed to empty tippet spools. Each style also has its’ pros and cons though, both pertaining to when the prime season starts. Early in the year most of my friends will fish with bait but I always stick to the flies and I pay for that dearly. The streams run high and cold making it tough to drift flies properly and it is still too early for any real hatches. At the same rate bait fishermen move on to golf by mid May and I am just getting ready for the best part of the season. Maybe bait and fly fishermen will never truly get along and at best it may be a sort of tolerated civility. But maybe we should all just realize that we are out here on the water for generally the same reasons. There is probably someone somewhere going through the same sort of problems you are and using fishing as their means to unwind. We are fishermen first, bait or flies comes second. So I suppose again just like Hank Jr., why do we cast –to catch fish ohhh why do we fish…..well I suppose you can finish the rest.

2 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Journal 2011/03/16 08:45:44 (permalink)
    Well said. I think as we grow older the catch is secondary to the beauty of just being out on a stream.
    I imagine we all started with dunkin worms and gradually progressed to perfect a better skill. Whether
    you are in a boat trolling for eyes or walking that mt. stream with a fly rod in hand. Elitist, some may be
    but most prefer to be naturalist.

flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Journal 2011/03/16 08:58:15 (permalink)
     Nicely written, enjoy reading them and enjoy the pics on this forum.
    Jump to: