Okuma

Author
ifishway2much
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/13 19:16:13 (permalink)

Okuma

Thought I'd share the outcome of my Sheffield vs Aventa conversion.  I purchased an Aventa on Ebay for cheap but after I tried it once I learned quickly why it was cheap.  It would not spin well at all so after it sat in my storage cabinet for a year, I got the bright idea to change the bearings.  Little did I know that Aventa does not even have bearings - it has a bushing.  FYI the bushing does not come out easily.  I suffered through two attempts to install BOCA bearings in the Aventa.  The BOCA bearings fit great but even the high end bearings did not spin as well as my Sheffield.  So, I called an Okuma dealer in Pittsburgh and had them send me the Sheffield bearings and spacers.  I installed them as soon as they arrived and like magic the Aventa now spins just as well as the Sheffield (without the higher price tag).

10 Replies Related Threads

noodle one
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/14 09:48:34 (permalink)
    I have used a Okuma Sheffield pin now going on four (4) years and have never had any problems with it. I know some people will tell you that they are only good for a starter reel. I use mine on my G-Loomis thirteen foot center pin rod (not the float rod) and it makes for a great set up. I have fished CA. for big sea run steelhead and it has never let me down. I also fish the Salmon River for steelhead and browns. as well has the West branch Delaware river for big browns. It is very easy to clean and runs very smooth. It is a good reel for the money. My son who owns many top of the line center pin can not believe how smooth it is. For the money I don't think you can beat them.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/14 16:15:09 (permalink)
    Right...they certainly are good reels for the money. However, to try to compare a sheffield or anything Okuma makes for that matter is a bit extreme IMO. Again, they do the job, they are smooth and probably among the best of your low end reels. Some say a reel is only as good as the bearings inside them, but it goes beyond that. Tolerances, weight, workmanship, performance and service are also important for me. I bought a reel that cost twice the amount of a new Sheffield, but I saved up until I could pay for it and I know that its among the best and the service of the reel is very hard to beat. Ya see, I bought the reel from a local builder, MADE IN THE USA...I know we hardly know what that means anymore, but I'm certainly proud to say I'm supporting not only a local guy, but I can also talk to him anytime I want and go directly to him with the reel in case of a problem. I'm not a reel collector like most fanatic pinners...I bought one that I know will last a lifetime and one I could hand down to my kid if he wants to go that direction. I'm also confident that my reel will hold its value and in some cases actually be worth more with time.

Now, converting your Aventa was a good idea if you're on a budget and it will fish a lot nicer for you. I'd bet that as time goes on, and you decide to stick with pinning, you will eventually upgrade to a higher end reel. Then you will certainly be able to feel the differences in how the reels compare. Good luck.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2011/03/15 07:42:03

bocalarry
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/16 10:02:55 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear you had an issue with Boca Bearings. I'm Larry with Boca Bearings and I came across your post, I'm curious to know why our bearings didn't work for your reel. Maybe we had the wrong bearing dimensions for your reel or maybe it was a spacer problem. Do you remember the type of Boca Bearings you used?  I could send you a different set free of charge to try if you're interested. Just DM me and I'll take care of you. Also, if there is anyone willing to trade free Boca Bearings for an installation ideally with a video let me know.

Paine Falls
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/16 10:26:27 (permalink)
    Nevermind - Just realized your looking for video of the Okuma upgrade issue.
    post edited by Paine Falls - 2011/03/16 12:25:46
    bocalarry
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/16 14:55:03 (permalink)
    It doesn't have to be for an Okuma upgrade. If you have another reel you want to put on video let me know. DM me.
    Paine Falls
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/16 15:13:07 (permalink)
    DM Sent.
    ifishway2much
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/16 18:49:49 (permalink)
    I tried two different sets of bearings and they did not perform as well as the bearings that came with the Sheffield.  I don't remember the model number but I can tell you the first set was sealed (orange seal).  The second set was not sealed.  The company was great to work with and tried to accommodate my wishes.  I eventually returned both sets of bearings and received a full refund which I appreciate.

My initial goal was to take a low to medium quality reel and upgrade it with high end bearings.  I ended up with an Aventa that spins just as well as my Sheffield.  I was hoping that the Boca bearings would outperform the Sheffield bearings.  I would be willing to take you up on your offer but at the moment I'm pleased with what I have.  If you think it's possible to upgrade from the Sheffield bearings, send me a PM.  I'll do the same and thanks again for the interest.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/18 21:27:47 (permalink)
    As far as upgrading the sheffields bearings,the ceramic bearings from Boca work great.Remove the dust covers from the original bearings,very carefully, soak them in some kerosene, clean with some contact cleaner,then oil with a light oil,leave the dust covers off,works well also.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/20 21:13:39 (permalink)
    Its all Greek to me.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: Okuma 2011/03/24 12:38:50 (permalink)
    I have some sheffield berrings here laying around inside one that got destroyed (the bearings are fine)... anyone wants them, let me know.
    Jump to: