Paraloop Emerger

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/05 08:40:34 (permalink)

Paraloop Emerger

It's funny how the little things in life can seem to get you excited. It's been too long since I've sat down at the vice and I woke up at 4am this morning excited to sit down at the bench and wrap some hooks. Put some coffee in the pot, started up some Skynard in the CD player and started in. Man - how relaxing it is to sit down and tie since things have settled a bit around the house.

So I'm tying one of my favorite's to add to the box and it's been a good pattern for me as it sits low in the film and floats quite well. Think a little bit later, I may take a drive to the shop to get some materials I don't need , buy a fishing magazine and do some more tying later on. Probably do the same tomorrow. It's gonna be a great weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Materials:

1. For the emerger I like to use a curved hook which sits the body of the fly down below the film of the water. Prior to casting it for the first time, I wet the antron tail on the fly so it sinks right away.

Start the thread behind the eye of the hook as shown:

2. Continue securing the tag end of the thread down the hook bend and tie in a sparce amount of antron. Trim off the excess.

3. Tie in by the tip, a single piece of goose quill/biot. Color of choice depending on the pattern your tying. Advance your thread forward to the starting point.

4. Tie in a a 6" piece of 5X tippet material - leaving the tag ends run long to the rear of the hook shank with the loop towards the front.

5. Trim off the ends on top of the hook shank. Stagger the ends when you trim them so there isn't a "bump" at the ends. Wrap the thread towards the rear all the way to where you tied in the goose quill and then wrap back up to the starting point again.

6. Wrap the goose quill/biot forward to the tippet material. You need to use a light hand in doing this so you don't break the quill from the tie in point. The tips of these quill are somewhat fragile. Once you get a few wraps on it - it should wrap nicely.

7. Dub a small amount of material on the thread and wrap it behind the tippet loop.

8. Tie in the hackle in right up to the tippet loop.

9. Once again - tie in a sparce amount of dubbing on the thread and wrap this in front of the loop. Then wrap the hackle up the loop and back down again. I like to use a gallows tool to do this which free's up your hand but you can use your left hand to hold the loop in tension while you wrap the hackle. Tie off the hackle behind the eye.

10. Once the hackle tip is tied in, spread the loop apart which compresses the hackle windings together. You can be pretty tough with this as the loop is tied in well and the hackle stem won't break. The tighter the better.  Then, fold back the hackle tips to the rear with the fingers on your left hand, fold the loop over the thorax and tie in at the eye.

11. Trim the tippet loop and hackle tips. Whip finish off.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

11 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/05 10:28:48 (permalink)
    I like it..

flynut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/05 13:35:07 (permalink)
    Nice tute, nice tie, a little tough for a newbie. Thanks keep up the nice work
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/07 07:55:26 (permalink)
    nice looking fly steely. it's great to see how others tie. it gives everyone new ways to find their own niche!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

buggerman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/12 22:19:36 (permalink)
    Nice tie Steely. Nice to see you back posting tutes. Hope your weekend was as relaxing as you thought it would be.
    wonderrod
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/14 12:58:13 (permalink)
    This is a great tutorial and I like the emerger type patterns better than a straight up dry fly in many situations on the stream. I do have one question though, do you tie in the hackle feather by the stem base, or by the tip? Thanks again for the great pattern.

Jeff
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/15 04:40:08 (permalink)
    Wonderrod,
    Tie the hackle in at the stem. Starting at the bottom of the tippet material, wrap up and back down again. Tie off. I found if you use anything much smaller in diameter than 5X, the post ends up being too thin in diamter and when you wrap the hackle, the stem will break/split due to the radius being too tight to turn the stem. The smaller the hackle is - the less chance of this happening though so choose the smallest hackle you can for this pattern. It also helps if you soak the hackle first/overnight in a bowl of water with a few drops of liquid detergent---- dry them off quick with a hair dryer - then tie them in. Softens the stem and makes it much more user friendly.
    Best of Luck to ya

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

wonderrod
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/15 08:30:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Steely,

I started laying out the materials and I will use your advise on the the hackle. I am going to tie some up in various sizes and colors for the upcoming hatches. Keep 'em coming! Love the tutorials.

Jeff
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/15 10:15:45 (permalink)
    Nice tute.

I tie paraloops as well. I often use a gallows tool, though.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/15 10:31:20 (permalink)
    NICE tie steely!

i did one last summer in reverse...
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_319803/mpage_1/key_mono%252Dloop/tm.htm#319803

Roy Christie is the man for these flies
    http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/11/23/the-reversed-parachute-emerger-by-roy-christie/
    post edited by KJH807 - 2011/03/15 10:32:06

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/15 19:02:17 (permalink)
    Yeah KJ - After posting, I seemed to remember that posting you did following one of Christie's patterns. He is pretty amazing.

John Gierach

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Paraloop Emerger 2011/03/16 12:07:24 (permalink)
    your tie is super clean with great instructions

only thing i do different is the wrapping of hackle through the loop...
    both going around and through the loop

Jump to: