'07 archery season recap

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/10 13:02:57 (permalink)

'07 archery season recap

Well, today is the last day for archery season. I myself am stuck with office hours today, and couldn't make it out, but regardless, I have had a great season. I saw plenty of deer, and managed to kill a buck during the second week, and miss a turkey last week. Overall, I didnt spend a lot of time in the woods, but as usual, I enjoyed every minute of it.

I started this thread for 2 reasons. The biggest reason is that I am bored at work, and the second reason is because I wanted to hear about everyone elses season. Anyone try any new equipment that worked well (broadheads, bows, arrows, stands, calls, clothing, etc...)? Anyone kill a archery deer for the first time? Any amusing stories? Did you see lots of deer or few deer?

......Just figured this would start some good conversation.
post edited by thedrake - 2007/11/10 13:07:45

25 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/10 13:27:50 (permalink)

post edited by thedrake - 2007/11/10 13:28:56
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/10 14:45:55 (permalink)
    My Kid killed one Last night.....  He hit it with such force  (Monte} It flew 15 Feet ...............

**** Road Kill Deer..........LOL

One little scratch on the hood is all it did.......

redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/10 20:30:54 (permalink)
    Had an enjoyable season but there was no harvest.  During the last 2 and a half weeks, I saw 12 different bucks, but only 1 was legal.  I had him broadside at 12 yards and there was a tree in the way (of coarse) so no shot was taken.  And the deer I have been seeing were between the hours of 8am and about 10:30-11:00am and that was it.  Nothing during midday or evening.  16 days till its orange behind every other tree, good luck and congrats to those that have scored!
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 05:39:38 (permalink)
    I Had A pretty good season. Seen many of bucks but quite a few were not shooters and the shooters well poor shot angles, to far,thick brush and no buck this season. But did take a few nice doe's.all went down within sight. I will just have to try in gun season. Congrats to all who filled tags.  SHOOT STRAIGHT AND BE SAFE    DAVE
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 06:00:20 (permalink)
    Had to give up the compound this year and went to a crossbow due to shoulder problems. Did not see a lot of deer but everytime I saw a buck it was a dandy but too far to shoot. Watched one last night chasing does. Saw him cut one out of a group of three and chase her back into the woods. He was patroling a section of woods like a sentry just pacing back and forth. Did manage to put a doe into the freezer. She didn't go 50 yards after I hit her(double lung and across the top of the heart). Good luck fellows during the rifle season. Huumm.....there's also the late archery after Christmas!

A young man hunting squirrels on the farm that I archery hunt was backed down by a large buck and almost shot it when the deer walked up to him and stared him in the face at about five feet.  Some of life's humbling and exciting situations that you'll remember forever.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 07:13:24 (permalink)
    Had a good season did lots of hunting saw 10 different buck. 3 were 8 points. 1 offered no shot , one I got caught moving on, 1 ealy in the season I passed on too early..Looking to get a lease on a bigger piece of property. Can't seem to get away from the amish men here....Help!!!!

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

A1H Skyraider
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 538
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 08:08:00 (permalink)
    My Season Recap:

First three weeks:  Too hot

Second three weeks: Just Right

I did kill an 8 point on the next to last Friday.  This was a buck that I most likely would have passed up in the first three weeks, but as the close of the season got closer I realized that, with my 12 year old gun hunting with me this year, My chances of a buck with the gun was slim so I cut my losses and shot the little 8. It was a 2.5 year old deer but just was not very wide.

Overall, after having the end of season beer meeting last night with the other two guys who hunt the farm I hunt. there were 7 different shooter buck seen on the 156 acres we hunt.  one 7 point, three 8 points, a half rack 4 point, and two Absolute monsters that never really had all of their points counted.  four non shooters were also reported, spike, four point, a five point, and a half rack 3 point.

The doe to buck ration seems to be about 2 to 1 in our area we hunt.  I'm not sure what it should be but this is maybe the best year for 8 point or better buck we have had in several years.  Im not sure of this is from AR or if the neighboring farms are gettin so much pressure that the deer are heading in to our trackt of woods.

Other things I've learned: 

1.  Look up to the top of your tree before climbing into your stand.  When the racoon hanging out up there wants to come down and your in the way it can turn into quite an incident.  Also, racoons are not very fond of being poked with broadheads.

2.  When you take off running to break up a flock of turkeys.  look out for that root three steps away.  If you trip over it and fall, it will hurt and be embarassing.  Atleast I had enough, I mean my "friend" who tripped had enough sense to not try and run with my, I mean, "his" gun.

Good luck to all in gun season, i'm off to Indiana for gun season on the 17th, WV for gun season on the 19th, and then back to PA to take my boy out for the first day.

Mak

fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1668
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 09:20:06 (permalink)
    My 29th season goes like this
    Went and came home safely 23 times
    Saw 31 deer (6-bucks,21 does,4 unknown)
    Passed on a legal buck in the 1st 45mins on the 1st day. It was the only legal 1 I had in range all season.
    Other random thoughts from the last few days on stand
    a lot of chipmunks above ground for mid Nov.
    More leaves on the trees and brush then I can remember for the end of the season. Global warming?
    It was not my best season by far but all in all it was enjoyable. So now I guess I have to look forward to bleeping rifle season. Congrats to all those who were successful and good luck to all those who are still looking.
    Mike

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 10:54:09 (permalink)
    Too hot first 3 weeks.  Didn't hunt much.  Week 4 I went away.  At this point, I had one deer within shooting range which was a button buck.

During Week 5 things really started to pick up.  Lots of deer moving.  Passed on many doe. Called in a beautiful buck and a scrub.  Of course the scrubby came 5 yards but the biggen stayed back.  The big one really put on a show of dominance by twisting his head, breakin laurel, rubbing, grunting, wheezing at the little scrubby.  It was a spectacular sight.  Too dark to actually tell how big he was.  He antlers glowed yellow in the full moonlight.  Little did I know I'd have him at 12 yards in the coming week.

Monday, a six came to the call.  Nice little buck.  Had another buck following a doe, the doe smelled my deer scent.  She spooked.  Makes you think twice about using scents ... period.  Not the first that has happened.

Tuesday morning we waited until daylight to head in.  Too thick to expect to see bright eyes in the dark.  It would have taken 3 boxes or so.  I got settled as my watch read 7:12.  I decided to put my bow hook on the left side of the tree this morning; a decision that never takes much thought.  That decision would haunt me within minutes.  I tipped the can at 7:30 followed by a few tending grunts.  I had made up in my mind which direction a buck would least likely be coming from based on terrian which was to the back of me.  I focused on the other three directions.  I decided to take a look at this fourth direction and there stands a deer with a yellow tine sticking out from behind the tree at 20 yards heading straight for me.  With the bow on the left of the tree I picked it up immediately.  The deer came straight and turned right at about 15 yards.  With the bow on the left side and the deer on the right, I stared.  I could see his eyes so I didn't move a muscle.  It was one of those moments as he quartered away walking at 12 yards that you forget you're even hunting.  I counted points; the worst thing you can do.  12 inch g2's, 11 inch g3's, 7 inch g4's and a main beams that reached out passed his nose by at least an inch.  The moonlight didn't make those antlers a glowing yellow, that was the actual color.  Never saw such a thing.  Got the bow around the tree and at 22-23 yards I had the pin on his stomach area for a severly quartering shot.  I waited and waited.  At 30 yards he finally turned broadside and stepped behind a small white pine.  Being a full draw, I was half commited so I let 'er fly.  The white arrow hit something and tumbled end over end.  The buck disappeared.  He snorted so I knew what had happened.  It was a shot I shouldn't have taken.  10 minutes later, a nice 8 point came by at about 31-32 yards, I didn't (not sure if I could have!!) even stand up.

I thought the rut was great.  I saw deer and called in bucks everyday.  A little early as predicted with the chasing phase beginning on Wednesday of this past week.  I wish there would have been a longer seeking period as a buck on a doe's tail was frustrating.  I had a beautiful 10 point at 50 yards yesterday morning.  He wouldn't even look at me.  With snow on the ground, it was pretty obvious the doe lead him 10 yards from the bed of the truck!!!  This was the first time I've ever heard a buck grunt with every step he took.   No idea when he had time to breath. 

I took every opportunity to call and had a seven point leave a doe he was chasing to come to the call.  It amazes me how deer are able to pinpoint where the call is coming from within a few yards.  I called in 5 deer that night all coming within a few yards of the tree.  Even doe.  Doe deer seem to get very confused this time of year.  These four doe were all snorting but running circles around each other.  One winded me but came right back after snorting and taking off.  I was only up 8 feet because of the tree.  None ever looked up.  Also stopped a six point from chasing yesterday that provided a shot.  I let both deer walk.  One more year maybe.

The buck:doe ratio in my area appears to be better than I thought.  1:3-1:4. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/11/11 10:57:16
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 11:58:24 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about your miss Jon. You know what they say "if you bowhunt long enough, your gonna miss eventually". Sounds like you still had a good season regardless.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 16:22:25 (permalink)
    na Dan, don't be sorry.  It was a situation that provided a marginal opportunity and I shouldn't have taken it.  But because of the build up in intensity before the fact, I did in the end.  He probably would have come back if I let him get out of sight and tipped the can again.  A magnificant experience anyway.

"eventually"  ???

I missed a good one last year!!!  I didn't tell my buddy 'bout this one. 

I forgot to comment on this year's buck size:

Overall, antler restrictions are doing exactly was it's intended to do in my area; push most bucks to their next year.  This year, I've seen (this means spotlighting, hunting, camera's, off season scouting, roadkills, etc...) some great 2.5 year old 8 points.  This made up the majority of the buck I saw excluding the year and half old bucks.  One 11 point that I believe to be 2.5-3.5.  He had about a 15" spread, 5 inch tines and a 3 inch kicker off his G4 on his right antler.   None I know of got killed in archery, a few by automobiles.  This years 3.5 year old age class was very low from previous years, even before AR/HR BUT the 2.5 yo bucks were great looking.  Next year would be tremeduous if they were to survive the year.   Bucks greater than 3.5 were practially non-existence compared to year's in the past.  There were a few around but the biggest buck I saw all year was the one I missed.  Plenty that I never got to see, I'm sure.  Most of the bucks I hunted this year were 2.5.  I couldn't get a good enough handle on the few bigger ones I saw.  Probably why their big.

oh yeah, turkeys everywhere.  Some big ones too.

Bears too.  I had one the other night that ran off, got behind a tree, stood up, and kept peeking its head around the tree.   Pretty funny.   Didn't see any big bears, biggest being about 250.

No cougars or bigfeets, or coyotes with their ears tagged.  11 rattlesnakes.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/11/11 16:38:59
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 17:25:23 (permalink)
    Started out hot then we got really busy in the garage i own no time to hunt.Finally got a chance to go last saturday morning got to the stand nice and early about a hour after daylight saw a buck in the thicket so i bleated twice then grunted he came right in to 4 yards he was a 13 inch eight .I was going to pass on him but with only a week left and not much time to hunt i put me sight on his spine and drop him like a bad haiat.We saw alot of doe and scrubs also got 5 giants on camera but we never saw them which really sucks.
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 17:36:42 (permalink)
    Hunted hard for 5 weekends. Saw 8 deer (5 bucks 3 doe). Shot a doe in youth season. Shot a buck last weekend but never found it. Used the Gerber blood-light on the buck i shot and it worked pretty well. My dad used a Primos estrus bleat last weekend and brought a 6-point in. Overall another bad year for seeing deer.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 18:24:43 (permalink)
    Was out pulling tree stands today and saw a beautiful 9 point at 25 yrds. 100 yrds from the house..Where the heck was he yesterday???

kaween12
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/11 21:07:05 (permalink)
    Im pretty new to the thread, but i got my first deer (doe) with a bow....and i am never turning back! what a thrill to shoot a deer with a bow, i almost makes me dislike rifle hunting......haha  but it was fun , and even though it was a doe ..it was a trophy to me..congrats to everyone who has success this year
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/12 05:59:41 (permalink)
    Congrats on your first bow kill. Sure is a rush to harvest a whitetail deer with a bow...

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/13 08:48:03 (permalink)
    drake -- to answer the new product question.

I bought a Rinehart 18-n-1 broadhead target this year.  Those of you that have shot Rinehart 3-D's know the superiority of their material.  I know the block 4X4 gets a lot of attention but it doesn't compare to Rinehart's material.  18 sides on a target helps too.  We run a local 3-D course and their targets last twice as long as any others on the market.  And no, I don't work for them.  Just good stuff.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/13 19:16:09 (permalink)
    Jon,

How long would the target last if actually hit it?

Sorry, too easy.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/13 20:10:21 (permalink)
    LMAO!!  Very nice.  I set myself up for that one.  But seriously, those centers have hundreds of broadhead slices (from me, surprise surprise), and still lookin' pretty good.

If you can shoot it out in one year, they'll give you a new one.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/14 07:40:08 (permalink)
    Those Rineharts pull so much easier in cold weather. Used to take three men to pull my carbons out of Meckenzie targets in Jan.-Feb. at the 3-d shoots...

Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/14 22:44:32 (permalink)
    i think mekenzies are junk all year long no matter how cold it is. And i am not a fan of yellow jackets, it seems like they super glue your arrow into them.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/17 10:18:14 (permalink)
    I had a good season, saw lots of doe's, missed one. Didnt ever see that big ten till the last thursday. He crossed a scent line and never even looked. I didnt hunt the rut very much because I was too **** worried about buying and assembling furniture. If I dont get some kills in rifle season I will definately be out in late archery. Never had a legal buck within shooting range all season.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/21 11:23:41 (permalink)
    He'll be a gooden next year J.  I must have ran over the wrong buck if you're able to verify that you saw him.  You're lucky!!!  I hear there are two monsters over that way.  Real biggens!!!  Must be pretty thick.

I'd have to say Mr. Alsheimer was right on this year.  He said be in the woods November 3 - 10 for the rut.  By November 12, lots will be locked down.  My observations paralleled that to a "T."

Looks like the season will run to November 15 next year.  Rutting moon isn't till the 13th though.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/11/21 11:27:24
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/21 12:21:48 (permalink)
    A little late getting on here.  My season was a good one.  Passed a few decent bucks and scored on one smaller than those I passed, but that is a different story.

Overall, I saw less bucks.  Partly because of the EHD outbreak that hit us. 

Weird with all of the foilage this year.  The oaks still have thier leaves here.

Did not see any great bucks this year in person, just on my trail cams.

Hr is effecting the doe poulation in 2A finally.

My rut observations are opposites of Silver's.  Spent 6 days in my stands during the last 2 weeks and saw alot of cruising bucks.  A few young ones pushing does.  But no active chasing at all, even with some ideal temperatures.  The season this year ended before most of the does came close to estrous.

I am a firm believer that the average breeding date is always around the 15th of November, give or take a day or too.  Weather conditions, moon phases, hunting pressure will all effect the deer activity but the peak of the rut never changes.  Activity does. 

Anyway, the first week of rifle should be good as many bucks will be looking for that last hot doe before the little lull before the 2nd estrous cycle after rifle ends.
    FishHuntForever
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: '07 archery season recap 2007/11/21 14:35:26 (permalink)
    It seemed like a long season for me.
    Starting out with missing the buck I had scouted about 15min after daylight just to see doe and small bucks the rest of the year.  Did take a nice mature doe later in the year for some meat and called in a lot of small buck towards the end of the year.  Did not get out the last week as I was Mule deer hunting.  Well, good luck and be safe in the woods with all the orange.  Happy Thanksgiving.
    Jump to: