New Ice Huts/shelters

Author
sweetwater
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/27 11:43:12 (permalink)

New Ice Huts/shelters

Looking for a new ice hut for next season, can the icemen and or(icegals) give me some names for this. I already have names like Eskimo, Clam and Frabill, but just wondering any others that I might have missed. If your able send me a PM if your set up for that, or if it works..........

Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

Travis46
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/27 11:50:16 (permalink)
    Otter and Shappell are a couple others.. there are many brands. A lot more pop up styles coming out more often. i have a Frabill 2 man flipover and love it. but the extra weight can be a bear sometimes.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/27 13:12:52 (permalink)
    ive been using a viking 2-man for years and it has never let me down...just a bit small...i also know that al's tent and awning makes and sells them,,,i hear the quality of their huts are great

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/27 13:44:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Travis46

Otter and Shappell are a couple others.. there are many brands. A lot more pop up styles coming out more often. i have a Frabill 2 man flipover and love it. but the extra weight can be a bear sometimes.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a 2 man polar escape from H.T. Love the shanty but with a heavy snow, or alot of snow mite as well leave it at home. Frabill makes good shanties as does eskimo.
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/27 15:54:00 (permalink)
    Having gone through at least a dozen ice huts in my life, I have, and have had the Fish Trap for some time now, and at last I have found the ultimate.

It doubles as a sled with ample belly for transporting necessities. Mine has a seat mounted on two rails with nylon material suspended from the rails to store and protect your ice rods.

It also has a zippered from door. That way in cold and windy weather, you don't have to break your seal by popping the hatch, you can use the zippered door to go in and out when necessary. Speaking of the "seal", they make them with about 6 or 8 inches of extra material on the bottom. When inside, just scoop your ice chips on it to hold it down and you are pretty much air tight.

I'm getting to be an old geezer with a ginger back, who mostly fishes alone, and I have no trouble hoisting the hut/sled in and out of my van.

When I'm out there, I see one of two things: guys huffing and puffing like dragging a moose because they are snow plowing the bay with their heavy huts, or guys constantly picking up spilled gear because their outfit doesn't do double duty as a sled with storage.

Good fishin'....

North Platte Bum
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/27 16:15:36 (permalink)
    One other thing, I have the one man model, and while you can fish two holes, I almost always fish one hole. I catch more fish that way by never setting the rod down, its always in my hand.

North Platte Bum
    bowhuntnsteve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/27 19:06:32 (permalink)
    I have 1 built by the amish (conneautville canvas) with the black canvas. You can get them built to how you want them. I have a basic 2 man but lengthen and carpeted on 1 side and my holes all on the opposite. LOVE IT! I also had mit made without a window in it. I have 1 hole on the left for my camera, center hole is about 8-9"s and my far right hole is like a double width hole. Hansens used to sell them years ago but don't know who does now but you can call the place. My buddy has ski's mounted on the bottom of his runners.
    NeFiShNeTiMe
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/28 16:11:19 (permalink)
    i have a 3 man eskimo grand caravan it is a flip style with a sled and bench seat and it is awsome. as long as you got a buddy to help ya pull it it really dont put too hard of a drag since i put skis on the bottom. i am also looking to sell it and i have a frabill cabin suitcase style shanty i would like to sell. i am going to downsize because all of my buddies i used to fish with b!#*hed out on me this year. i am going with a 2 person otter with the blue camo. any other ?s just ask or pm

""THERE’S NOTHING LIKE A SMALL MOUTH ON A STIFF ROD""
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/28 16:21:51 (permalink)
    I got the Otter - Team Wild 2 man this year.
    The Team Wild's Otters economy line, so to speak. Canvas & total weight are both heavier on the blue Otters.
    I'm totally happy with it. It'll fit 3 if you need to, but is really roomy for 2 people. Sets up FAST.
    It's a little heavy, but it's built to last, so that was expected.

If I had it to do over, the only thing I'd change would be the distributor I ordered from.
    Don't order from Gander Mountain.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1255
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/28 17:58:59 (permalink)
    Last year i ordered the new 2 man Clam Denali if you like room it is awesome it opens up each person faces the opposire way and each has a console on there side for all you goodies iccluding cup holders i didn't think i like the consoles but noe i love them hold everything jigs lunch,also have 4 rod slots in them really nice they come in handy. Whole thing weighs 95 lbs it really is super with alot of room!!!!!!!! also have a clam pro have had it for years fr when i go by myself. If you looking for a 2 person check out the denali!!!!!

icenut (Bill)
    bowhuntnsteve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/28 18:04:52 (permalink)
    I will be upgrading also soon, since I have a son that will be ice fishing with me next year then a dighter shortly after, so I am going to look for something roomy but easy to pull for a single guy while kids are following!!
    imrinc
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Ice Huts/shelters 2011/02/28 18:34:39 (permalink)
    That is a big determining factor in your choice. If you have kids and/or friends to share with. Then of course you are dependent on them. Most of my buddies have their own one man and if we are fishing together, we set up close, but we have our freedom to move and leapfrog to find fish.
    I had the two-man Fish Trap for about 15 years when my son and daughter were young - they are all grown now. One is in Kentucky, the daughter - well, she's a girlie girl now.
    Enjoy the young 'uns while you have them!

North Platte Bum
    Jump to: