spinning rods for trout

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/06/26 16:20:08 (permalink)
FishinGuy

I like the 2 PC for hiking through woods. Makes a big difference.

Ah.

I'm used to meandering through the brush with a 6'9" to 10'6" fly rod...that ain't much of an issue anymore. 
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/06/28 18:15:14 (permalink)
I use a 5'10 GL3 it's got the backbone to handle small/moderate bass and cats to walleye it's also a great crappie rod..
Mags00
Expert Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/06/30 09:43:21 (permalink)
coldfront

great rod, mags.  a little out of my ball park these days, but i have heard they are a joy to use.

It is a dream and fairly pricey I think when I got mine it was $180 at BPS and that was 6 or 7 years ago.  But, I was able to splurge then unlike now lol...  Kinda funny my buddy has a 6' Ugly Stik Lite Pro and that thing paired with the right reel is pretty nice set up for just about anything he has it miss matched with a Mitchell 300 but aside from unbalanced he catches anything/everything with it... 
Mags00
Expert Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/01 17:54:29 (permalink)
I have 2 Loomis a SJR 783-2 GL3 and the SJR 700 GL3.  I had a 6'6 Triump 2 pc and loved it but honestly I would never trade my 2 Loomis's for anything.  By far the best rods I've ever handled and caught fish on.  I have a 7' Md/lt Daiwa Steez SVF Graphite rod that is unbelievably light and well constructed but haven't caught any fish on it yet but only used it once...  And I've messed with and caught a trout on my girlfriends 6'8" St. Croix Avid Pearl and that is a very nice stick to I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a higher end rod with a shorter butt section for comfort etc.  But, nothing comes close to the classic Loomis rod lineup.  I have messed with NXR's and new GL2s and I personally wouldn't buy one and don't like how they feel.  I think Loomis lost some of the luster when Shimano took them over even though Shimano really only pumped a TON of $$$ into product R/D and didn't change much...  I want to pick up a NFC Edge rod the new line from Gary Loomis himself (Not like TFO with his name on it) he actually came back to the business for this one...  But atm it's a tad out of my reach...  Low end are $350 and the Top end Steelhead/Salmon rods are upwards of $600+...
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/17 16:14:56 (permalink)
I was a tried and true St Croix guy back in the 80's when every part on the rod said USA made..  I found out over time the guides, handles and reel seats started saying , made in China.. But the price said double or triple $$$'s.. Thing is when you are climbing through boulder strewn streams or rivers and happen to fall, they all break the same. It hurts me more to break a $50-$100.00 rod..
So my thoughts towards "some" rods have changed..
I dis-like the ugly sticks due to their weight (feel) in hand and sensitive ..
I go with an all out cheap 4'6" one piece graphite micro light rod rigged with a micro spinning reel and 6# mono.. Currently mine is a shakespear model..
The fight is awesome be it trout, bass or even a phat carp.. The 6# casts much better then 4# due to less stretch that happens on 4 after it gets all coiled up from fighting fish..
I use f-7, fj-7, f-9 or even f-11 rapalas.. Worms and 1/16th or 1/8th oz jigs and gulp maggots.. It casts like a dream..
Rod: $15.00, Reel $20.00 and line $6.00

Now think about this:
I catch up to 15# lake trout on 30" light rods with ultra light reels through the ice all the time from 100' deep.. It's not the size of your rod, it's how you use it that matters..lol

post edited by hot tuna - 2013/07/17 16:42:34

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/17 17:15:19 (permalink)
Coldfront:
in the early 80's rod choices were limited.. Graphite was new and fiberglass was the norm.. I owned a Ranger bass boat and fished a lot of tournaments around 1986-89, ugh..  Having to make thousands of casts in a set time meant you needed something strong, light and made for the type of lure.. Lucky a friend became a St. Croix dealer and I got rods at cost.. They were GREAT rods.. Most all are still in performance today except my ul trout rod.. It broke while falling..
If I were to post a picture you would see they all Proudly say, all components Made In USA..
I purchased another St. Croix 4'6" Ul rod about 10 or so years ago, it didn't display that USA as proudly and at the bottom of the handle a little sticker said assembled in USA with components made in China.. The Price was Retail at around $70.00..
It was a good rod but again I fell and it broke just the same..
Lesson learned.. It's not so much how much money you spend on a rod but how much you like it.. 

bcain
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/18 00:08:56 (permalink)
I use a 5'0 Berkley Lightning Rod UL for trout. I broke the tip last year so I put a tip on it but I will be buying a new UL this year. I want something in the 6'0-6'6" range. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Not sure what to get. I really liked the Lightning Rod. I still use it for a short little rod for when things get really tight. I think back to when I was a little kid and would use a $10 South Bend combo bought at K-Mart. Caught a lot of fish on that setup including some decent carp out of the Mon. Anyone have any suggestions on a UL for less than $100?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/18 11:18:45 (permalink)
my question would be, why such long (spinning) rods for trout ?
unless one is trolling or casting heavy lures I see a longer rod as a big dis avantage.. A 4'6" or 5' one piece rod UL or micro light seems (to me) like the perfect set up for walking through brushy streams.. Having to break a rod down while walking through brus means carying 2 sections instead of just guiding 1 through ..
I really don't like 2 piece or long rods (for trout) as somehow they always seem to get broken.. The 2 piece is the weak link and inhibits some action on such rod, again IMO..

As said before, it's not so much the brand name any more , it's how you like the rod and is the price right..

Coldfront:
here is when that little sticker meant something:
Most all these are 30 or close too years old and in great condition. My last, and will be my last St.Croix is the fly rod in the tube.. It's an Avid I bought around 8 years ago.. While the blank says USA it Had a little tiny sticker on bottom of handel that said made in China but the price said otherwise

post edited by hot tuna - 2013/07/18 11:33:00

bcain
Expert Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 00:16:15 (permalink)
I do a lot of lake fishing for trout. Plus, I will be getting my boat on the water probably next year. I would use the longer rod for panfish also. Believe me, I will still keep a couple 4'6" or 5' footers around for those tight mountain streams although I don't fish those too much anymore.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 07:26:54 (permalink)
Got ya and that makes sense for those situations . Okuma makes a nice 6'6" ul

rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2143
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 10:25:25 (permalink)
Okuma has a few inexpensive small rods that I was considering for trout. The one I was looking at had a super thin blank. It would be OK for a cheapo.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 17:26:45 (permalink)
sorry for the delay but graveyard shifts are tough on me..
A few sayings that I believe in:
Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you talk the talk then you better walk the talk and finally , a picture is worth a thousand words..
So here is a good value long trout rod for which you described the use.
I picked this up on a whim while steelheading in a tackle shop for $29.00 for the exact reasons described.. Generally I'm a mountain brook, stream, small river or pond trout fisher but thought this might come in handy.. It did and is as said a good value rod:

rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 18:56:23 (permalink)
Not sure what live and die by the sword and walking the walk has to do with it. I can't remember if it was the Celilo or the SSt. I looked on their website and Celilo has a ultralite line. Maybe that's it or yours is an older model.I ended up buying one for my buddy's kid's birthday and he liked it.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 19:02:07 (permalink)
Me either but that's what being a walking zombie will do to one.
Celio is my model. Got it 2 winters ago. Good rod . Hope you enjoy yours.

rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/19 20:19:25 (permalink)
I did the graveyard shift once. Zombie is exactly how it makes you feel. Seems like you work sleep and repeat with nothing in the middle.

bcain
Expert Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/20 01:58:39 (permalink)
As far as shifts go, I have always preferred the midnight shift. I guess it proves it because I am here at 2:00 am writing this. I did look at an Okuma SST at Dicks this year. Me being so indecisive, I walked out not buying it because I wondered if it was any good. I should have bought it since they were on sale.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/20 03:50:09 (permalink)
Lol. Ever do a week of nights - week of 3-11 then week of days rotating backwards only to begin again ? Not very fun or preferable . It's now 3:45 am ugh..

Don't know about the sst but I'm pleased with the okuma. If I try something out in my hand , feels right and price is good then I buy it. I'm not very brand loyal too much these days.

XtopwaterkingX
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/07/21 19:12:27 (permalink)
I got an SST in 8'6'', not bad for the price. A bit rod heavy but not too bad. Put an Epixor baitfeeder on it an have used it for trout, steelhead, salmon, eyes, and catfish.
wvsarman56
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2013/10/08 16:27:24 (permalink)
I have two Eagle Claw 6'6" spinning rods that I bought years ago at a Murphy's Mart that was going out of business.  I think I bought most of the fishing department that day for around $200.  They have held up really well around WV.
Redneck Tourist
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2014/02/16 19:13:38 (permalink)
My #1 rod for trout is a GLoomis 5'2" UL Trout Series. It is a mod-fast action and this is the best stream trout rod I've ever owned. I bought this one a few years ago....about 2 years before that I had a GLoomis 5'8" from the same series and, although it was also a great rod, the length was odd for me. One day I was tying or baiting up while standing in the water and I must've inadvertantly bent the tip at an odd angle in the process and broke it right off (Cabelas replaced it). The 5'2" length is a better fit for me I guess so I sold the longer one when I saw Loomis came out with the smaller rod size. I have 2 of everything and I always carry a back-up rod when I go fishing....which I often use just to change things up. My back-up trout rod is a Bass Pro/Browning Citori in....you guessed it.....5'2" length. I've had this rig for about 7 or 8 years and its like an old friend now. It is paired with a Pflueger President 6725 and l am a huge Pfluger Reel fan also. Athough the Loomis rod is a better rod, I can never bring myself to replace this one because its just a great feeling rig and is time tested and battle tested. It is always reliable and feels good in my hand as I have large hands and this rod has a thick diameter cork grip. BPS doesn't have this rod in their catalog anymore but if you can find one, I think you would be well pleased with it.
Ninja of the Steel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2014/03/02 02:03:54 (permalink)
My bread and butter trout rod has been a 1 pc fenwick venture 6'6" ML with stainless line guides and cork handle.  Bought rod over 10 years ago for $50 and its still hanging in there. I won't fish a 2 pc, less sensitive, guides get unaligned and a pain breaking down with rigged tackle. I prefer Fluorocarbon line for trout, it's sensitive, low stretch, tough as nails abrasion wise and invisible underwater for those gin clear water conditions when fish get finicky. It will develop memory so a respool is necessary, usually after a season, 4lb is my go to. Fluoro is pricey but in my opinion well worth it.  

In my experience fishing rods are a lot like sporting optics, you can get a great scope/binos for a reasonable price and they will perform well. Higher grade scopes/binos are out there but you'll pay for them and oh, you will...    

"The images of himself and his line kept disappearing into the rising vapors of the river, which continually circles to the tops of the cliffs where, after becoming a wreath in the wind, they became rays of the sun."
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2014/09/24 15:08:54 (permalink)
bump...........
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2014/09/25 01:10:05 (permalink)
 4 - 1/2' Fenwick brown glass cork handle. Third time I broke it they quit makin' that size so sent me same style in a 4' - 9" model. Original one bought in mid. 70's when they had lifetime guarantee.

crappy 
eyeofhorus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 189
Re: RE: spinning rods for trout 2014/09/25 14:59:41 (permalink)
I have a 5' UL st. croix trout series rod with a 500 size shimano symetre and 6 lb. tectan line. Back up set up is a 4'6" UL okuma celilo with a size 20 pflueger trion reel.

I'm starting to like the longer rods though. We sell a ton of ul rods for trout in the 6' to 7'6" range. The daiwa ultra lights a nice. They give you a bit more control and casting distance. They can be a pain fishing small streams when you have to bushwack.

A friend of mine uses 1 setup for all his fishing. Its a 4'6" browning ul rod and size 20 pflueger trion. For trout he uses 4 lb. line, steelhead and bass 6 lb. He catches just as many fish as anyone.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: