LockedNew Rod

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 201
  • Reward points: 0
RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 22:10:17 (permalink)
i said to crack myself up if you want pure honesty...
troutslammer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: New Rod 2011/03/01 09:24:51 (permalink)
just messin with ya , PSSST i like your other nickname better
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: New Rod 2011/03/02 11:18:31 (permalink)
DarDy's story reminded me of my old fishing and hunting pal Shad who had the bait shop in Bemus Point over at Chautauqua Lake for years [RIP]. I was hanging around counting out worms with him one day when a guy comes in looking for bait.
Guy: How much are the nitecrawlers?
Shad: $2.00 a dozen
Guy: J.....Cr...t where I'm from in Buffalo they're only $1.25 a dozen
Shad: Why the F.... didn't you buy them in Buffalo
Guy: They were all out of them
Shad: When I'm all out of them they're $.50 a dozen, now get the F... out of here and don't come back
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/02 14:31:48 (permalink)
now that is some fantastic business ethics and I'm sure this guy is retiring from the mass of customers he treats so well.

... this whole debate on my hatred for fly shops stems from a similar story.

My father and his friend, ignorant to fly fishing, stopped in the local shop in search of advice on getting started.  The owner wasn't helpful and quite rude, acting  annoyed with their abundance of questions... 2 minutes after entering,they walked out, and the owner lost a lot of potential business, yet he cries about e-commerce putting him out of business.

glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: New Rod 2011/03/02 18:20:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: musthuntmusky

now that is some fantastic business ethics and I'm sure this guy is retiring from the mass of customers he treats so well.

... this whole debate on my hatred for fly shops stems from a similar story.

My father and his friend, ignorant to fly fishing, stopped in the local shop in search of advice on getting started.  The owner wasn't helpful and quite rude, acting  annoyed with their abundance of questions... 2 minutes after entering,they walked out, and the owner lost a lot of potential business, yet he cries about e-commerce putting him out of business.

He did quite well actually and his funeral was well attended. I don't approve of some things but a "hatred of fly shops" hasn't been something I've had to deal with yet. Might be time to reassess your priorities. Course, we all have to think strongly about something. Right now, I think I'll have a drink.
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: New Rod 2011/03/02 20:59:41 (permalink)
Musthuntmusky
Your “hatred of fly shops” is absurd.

I can’t imagine not supporting my local shop. The owner of my local shop fights a lot of battles for our local wild trout waters, and has spent a lot of his own money to keep a stretch of a local river out of the hands of the Spring Ridge Club. If he has what I need, I buy it there. I like to support those who support our waters.

Lots of people learned fly fishing through local shops. I can say without a doubt that I wouldn’t be a fly fisherman today, if a local shop owner hadn’t shown me how to cast, what flies to use, and when and where to fish. Try getting that info from an internet store.

By the way, I was just looking at your grannoms thread. Just so you know, the fly you have in your vise isn’t even a grannom pattern. It looks more like a green caddis. Your local shop owner will help you get that worked out…..and maybe teach you how to use a hair stacker.
post edited by thedrake - 2011/03/02 22:41:35
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: New Rod 2011/03/03 08:02:26 (permalink)
Regardless of where you stand on this issue, I think there's little denying that fly shops stand alone beside small, independent coffee shops in their ability to treat the general populace like livestock while taking care of the regulars...and still managing to stay in business. The elitism associated with the sport (and there IS plenty of that going around, despite a host of truly nice individuals), sees to it that, in some places, there's a feedback loop of misnathropy. Fly shop has 'regulars', fly shop has 'FNGs', fly shop owner complains about FNGs to regulars, regulars' egos are inflated at realizing they're now part of the fly shop's "inner circle", because of this, they buy/spend more there, allowing the fly shop the luxury of casually dismissing the clueless FNG, which further stokes the ego of the regulars, etc...

Doesn't happen in every shop, maybe not even in MANY shops...but it DOES happen.

I've been fortunate enough not to run into that attitude too much when I was just getting started, otherwise it would have been plenty enough to encourage me to go right back to my trusty UL spinning rod. As it happened though, the first time I encountered it personally, I was just a bystander, while the fly shop owner ran down a customer to a 'regular'. They both had a good laugh and I was thoroughly put off. Haven't been back since.
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/05 20:21:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

Musthuntmusky
Your “hatred of fly shops” is absurd.

I can’t imagine not supporting my local shop. The owner of my local shop fights a lot of battles for our local wild trout waters, and has spent a lot of his own money to keep a stretch of a local river out of the hands of the Spring Ridge Club. If he has what I need, I buy it there. I like to support those who support our waters.

Lots of people learned fly fishing through local shops. I can say without a doubt that I wouldn’t be a fly fisherman today, if a local shop owner hadn’t shown me how to cast, what flies to use, and when and where to fish. Try getting that info from an internet store.

By the way, I was just looking at your grannoms thread. Just so you know, the fly you have in your vise isn’t even a grannom pattern. It looks more like a green caddis. Your local shop owner will help you get that worked out…..and maybe teach you how to use a hair stacker.

drake, it catches fish when the grannoms are hatching.. not once did i call it a grannom.  All I said was, I fished it during grannom hatches. 

for your info, I do support my local fly shop... however, not the others in the area (orvis endorsed).  I can tell you this though, come in to my local shop and ask the owner to show you how to cast without him knowing you, and he'll point to the sign, "50 dollars an hour: fly casting."  buy a few hundred dollars with of stuff, and he might consider it, but would hand you a beer instead.

I've had many, many great experiences with fly shops, especially at Oil Creek Outfitters... but I've also had my fair share of bad ones.  This whole thread went on a tangent about hatred for fly shops because a few of the older right wingers think lower of someone if they buy online opposed to a shop.

I don't care if you're a guide, or how you learned to cast, I don't need a hair stacker, and i don't need your criticism on a fly I tied in 20 seconds.

go pop a valium and smile :)

post edited by musthuntmusky - 2011/03/05 20:26:28
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/05 20:28:44 (permalink)
and you think it's so absurd that when a potential fisherman comes in to inquire about purchasing equipment he gets treated like a nothing??

i take it back, pop 2 valium, 2 mg each.
troutslammer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: New Rod 2011/03/06 13:58:44 (permalink)
the "reel" reason i don't go into fly shops is so i can save money to take my wife out to eat. be surprised how saving .50 $ on a leader will add up to huge savings for cheeseburgers.
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/06 20:17:13 (permalink)
lol troutslammer.. do you know how to read??

in previous posts, I said I do buy mundane materials from fly shops, but now reels, rods, wading equipments, etc.

.50 cents?  cheeseburgers? a wife?  haha man
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: New Rod 2011/03/07 12:25:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: musthuntmusky

I don't care if you're a guide, or how you learned to cast, I don't need a hair stacker, and i don't need your criticism on a fly I tied in 20 seconds.

go pop a valium and smile :)

I don't know how being a guide comes into play here. I didn't put it in my post, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. Maybe you could explain?

I don't need to pop a valium to crack a smile. Your idiotic posts make me smile without it. My personal favorite was the grannom thread which you started by posting pics of bugs that aren't even caddis flies, along with a fly you tied that's not even close.

A close second was the post where you mentioned the money you save by shopping online is spent taking your wife and kids out to eat, then later mentioned you don't even have a wife.
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/07 13:22:41 (permalink)
haha so you're starting to get the picture?

the grannom thread was opened for others to weigh in on what they use during the grannon hatches, I posted a caddis fly that works well for me during grannom and green/tan caddis hatches, as well as other bugs that were hatching while we there, and the pattern below it that we took fish on since they keyed in on them opposed to the grannoms.

i wouldn't take any of my posts here with any seriousness.

i still think you need a valium though
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: New Rod 2011/03/07 14:30:36 (permalink)
Just think, you might have done better fishing a properly tied grannom.

Or not.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/07 15:45:57 (permalink)
well figuring we landed more than enough, I think it didn't matter... those fish are dumb stockies.
sudsy1000
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: New Rod 2011/03/07 16:44:30 (permalink)
Do you catch musky on a grannom or a caddis?  Maybe a BWO? 

I'm trying to not take your posts seriously but you have me intrigued?
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/07 19:10:07 (permalink)
i catch em on live bait.. 
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 06:28:57 (permalink)
Like the Indians used to?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 07:32:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rippinlip

Like the Indians used to?

Butts....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steelhound
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 453
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 09:12:44 (permalink)
I've had many, many great experiences with fly shops, especially at Oil Creek Outfitters... but I've also had my fair share of bad ones. This whole thread went on a tangent about hatred for fly shops because a few of the older right wingers think lower of someone if they buy online opposed to a shop.

i think i was the first person to say anything to you about the pro's of the local fly shop to you on this thread. i am as far from being "older right winger" as you can get. you know what stay at home and order all you want from the web the local shops are fine without you.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 09:51:58 (permalink)
RE: the fly shop debate, it seems, by this point that the discussion has boiled down to this: sure, the local shop may cost more, but you're getting some intangibles for that money, in the form of tips, suggestions, local knowledge, etc.

At this point, it becomes a matter of 1) how much more are we talking? and 2) how valuable are the intangibles.

All of this talk so far also seems to be generally coming from the angle of a shop in an area less-frequently visited, because, by the rationale of both sides, you should know your home waters, and not really need any of the intangibles that the local shop offers (other than burnt coffee and the roasting of the FNGs). By this reasoning, supporting the local shop really makes little sense for the experienced angler, as all he's doing is spending more for the same product and getting information he already knows. At the same time, he's helping to keep that shop in business...a key source of information and supplies for out-of-towners and newbies to crowd his home water. This also kinda puts the shop owner in a bit of a spot too, as he has to balance providing useful information to customers with maintaining some measure of discretion, otherwise, he'll find his locals suddenly tight-lipped about their successes.

By a strict business sense, for the average angler, its in his best interests to take his business away from his local fly shop, and instead patronize fly shops slightly out and away, in areas he only fishes a few times each year.

On that note, I've had some really great and some less-than-great experiences at fly shops. My "local shop" is one where I know the guy and he knows me. I've spent several hundred there, but spread out over a few years, and while I may not have gotten any fantastic information, it's all been good stuff, and I dont really expect him to spotburn for me. The key here is that he was helpful from the first time I walked in there, and continued to help me out over the course of several months, when I was only walking out of there with $5-10 worth of tying material. When the time came that I was in the market for a rod, and he carried one of the ones that I was looking at, I didn't hesitate to buy from him.

In other shops, it seems to be that the info you get depends entirely on your total when they ring you up. Not a bad practice, business-wise, but in that situation, their 'friendship' rings a little hollow. One shop I've only ever visited twice, first time, I came in and started talking to the owner, and he was friendly but provided absolutely no info until after he rung me up. I only got a bag of dubbing and some feathers, and my info that he passed on to me was basically about a "spot" that anyone willing to walk more than 150 yards from the parking area would find and fish through.

A few months later, I was back, and this time, they happened to have a book I was looking for, so my total was more in the $50 neighborhood, and this time, the tip was clearly more useful, telling me that an expected hatch hadn't arrived yet, but the hatch that was supposed to be about done was still in full force.

While I appreciate the help, and I completely understand the mutual back scratching, I guess I just feel that often fly shops think they're offering a lot more than they really are in terms of intangibles. The same internet that is stealing their sales is also providing the same free info they're leveraging.
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 12:47:16 (permalink)
cold... thumbs up!  someone who gets my point.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 13:33:16 (permalink)
I only have two comments:

1. The Drake is right, you could use a hair stacker and a lesson, musthuntmusky, duud.
2. Yesterday I got 16 on mealies.

musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 19:33:35 (permalink)
dnymph,

I've seen your posts at the drake. you sure do know how to use a hair stacker! I'll take a lesson anytime. I've heard a pistol shell casing does the trick, what calibur should I be looking for?

my boy got 16 2 weeks ago upstream at ferriers run, but all on minnies.
post edited by musthuntmusky - 2011/03/09 01:57:39
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
RE: New Rod 2011/03/08 21:44:32 (permalink)
WTF??? I hope that last post kills this thread. Never got a decent piece of advice from any fly shop owners that I hadnt already knew something about. I learned most from my old man who learned from his old man who learned it all from >50 years of trial and error. Nothing beats personal experience. Its in the blood.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
RE: New Rod 2011/03/09 00:40:40 (permalink)
I just don't like fly shops, can't tie caddis flies or stack hair... I'm just a mess man. 

oh btw, drake, I was married, but she left me for some rich corporate dude... figures.  I'm thinking about becoming a guide actually.  Trying to get in the central part of the state guiding the j.

maybe after I learn to better explain my stories and patterns used during those hatches, and start stacking my hair a little better, we could partner up?

this thread has gotten annoying, pages ago, but I kept it going for a few laughs, but riverbum is right, let's can it.
post edited by musthuntmusky - 2011/03/09 02:02:15
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: