Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/15 21:32:15 (permalink)

New Rod

After hearing all the advantages of Sage rods I could not resist but to order myself the new Sage Vantage Rod and Reel Combo from bass pro. I've used Redington for a few years now and can't wait to use my new 8 wt. Should be just a few short weeks till its fishable for steelhead, and about a month till thaw and then pike season!

55 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/16 06:19:03 (permalink)
    Hey guys thanks for all of the pike talk in here lately. Im going to try it myself in the inlet ponds of lake ontario this year.good luck with your new rod whisper.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/16 15:41:40 (permalink)
    I was hoping you were gonna talk about the T & T whisper-lite rods. I was gonna cast one and maybe buy it sometime soon.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/16 19:17:20 (permalink)
    T&T versus sage????? thats a tough one.... IMO, it depends on the mood your in...
    OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/16 22:24:21 (permalink)
    Congrats on the new purchase. I have a few sage rods and have always loved em. Only thing that would make it better would be if it had some mojo from a local fly shop. There are some good folks in PA getting their asses kicked by the big boxes. done on the soap box. Hope to see you out there when the water melts.
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/17 06:37:16 (permalink)
    oc,

from personal experience... good folks only if you're in their shop buying their stuff.

why in the world would I pay 25% more for something in a shop?  I'm basically buying his entire myriad of fly fishing gear for the year.
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/17 10:21:30 (permalink)
    hey fish whisper hope you like your new combo
    must hunt musky, that is the kind of attitude that have made it so hard on the shop owners. i go to my local shop once a week not just to get materials but to b.s. with the owner and other people in there. and there are minimum standard prices set by manufacturers so why not keep your money local.
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 12:21:44 (permalink)
    sorry dude, I refuse to buy rods, reels, waders, wading shoes, or wading jackets from any local dealer, regardless of my relationship w. them. I do, however, purchase tippet and tying materials from fly shops.

you're basically buying your dealers annual renewal of simms waders...

simms wading jacket at shop: 100 smacks
    same jacket on scierra trading post: 60 smacks w. free shipping w. email coupons.

My wife and kids come before my local dealer, sorry. that 40 dollars saved buys the wife and I dinner, and tips a college kid trying to get through college. This is America, you don't like it, you can get out... or, scrap the capitalism concept.

it's funny how shop owners win you over.. make you think you're important. If you don't buy from them, they treat you like dirt.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 13:21:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: musthuntmusky

sorry dude, I refuse to buy rods, reels, waders, wading shoes, or wading jackets from any local dealer, regardless of my relationship w. them. I do, however, purchase tippet and tying materials from fly shops.

you're basically buying your dealers annual renewal of simms waders...

simms wading jacket at shop: 100 smacks
    same jacket on scierra trading post: 60 smacks w. free shipping w. email coupons.

My wife and kids come before my local dealer, sorry. that 40 dollars saved buys the wife and I dinner, and tips a college kid trying to get through college. This is America, you don't like it, you can get out... or, scrap the capitalism concept.

it's funny how shop owners win you over.. make you think you're important. If you don't buy from them, they treat you like dirt.

Back in the day when I worked retail for an outdoor shop, I had a guy come in and want pricing on the whole trolling package -- rigger board, electric riggers, speed inidcators, dual holders, cannon balls, etc.  He wanted so much stuff that it took almost an hour to figure out the price.  Because of the size of the prospective sale, he was given quite a deep discount.  I think the total was somewhere around $2500 -- $3000.  He says he will think about it.

Two weeks later he wheels into the parking lot, boat in tow, and it is completely rigged.  He asks me to come out and take a look, which I did.  He had most of the stuff rigged up right, but some things just weren't going to work.  I didn't say anything to him about what was wrong -- we would have installed it correctly had be bought the stuff at the shop.

He kind of gets this sheepish look on his face and says -- "Sorry, man.  Your price was just a little too high.  I ordered this from Bass Pro and even with shipping I saved $20."

I told him that was okay.  He had to do what he felt was right.

Seeing that I wasn't going to be miffed at him, he said, "So, can you give me some information on on where the lake trout are hitting?  You know, what speed, color of spoons, cowbells vs. dodgers, that kind of stuff?"

For a split second I thought about sending him to a section of the lake that was loaded with standing trees down about 40 feet and letting him hang it all in one big tangled mess, but the good angel on my shoulder just said, "You know, come on in, I have just the information you need."

He was delighted and skipped into the shop.  I pulled out a tablet and wrote some information on it and handed it to him.  Beaming, he said thanks and went out the door.  He was back in in about 30 seconds about as made as a wet hen.  "It says to call 1-800-Bass-Pro and ask for Johnny Morris.  What kind of information is that?"

I looked him right in the eye and said -- "$20 worth.  Have a nice day."

Beleive me, I really didn't care if that guy ever came back in and bought a $1.99 spoon.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 13:31:49 (permalink)

more of a gentleman than i may have been. awesome.

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 13:51:40 (permalink)
    haha great story... but it doesn't change my mind, as purchasing online is supporting another in the same competitive realm. Just be honest guys, you get a stiffy at the sound of your fly shop owners voice just because he's your local go to guy that occassionally gives you a few flies for free.

the more you buy, the more kicks you get.. dream on
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 15:48:58 (permalink)
    I go to my local fly guy because he knows the difference between a nymph and a nine iron.

I go to my local fly guy because he reminds me of my father: a simple guy, doing what he loves, trying to make a living to do right by his family.

I go to my local fly guy because I don't have to press "1" for English.

I go to my local fly guy because HE KNOWS that I KNOW that I can get the same thing cheaper somewhere else.

I go to my local fly guy because he and my mechanic are the only two guys left around here who give two $#!ts and a d*mn about me.

I go to my local fly guy because loyalty is a two-way street.

So I pay an extra kick for some of his stuff...so what? When's the last time you walked into Wally World and said, "You know, I've been buying Charmin in this place for ten years...how about cutting me a break on that big screen TV?"

Online has its advantages, and it has its place. Sure, I use it. This can be an expensive pasttime. But in my brief involvement in the sport, I've come to learn that the local fly shop is an institution, someone whose extra x% is paid forward, not necessarily wasted. And besides, I've saved so much money by shopping online for everything else, that I can afford his markup.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 16:13:57 (permalink)
    I ORDER ONLINE BECAUSE IT CONSISTS OF THREE CLICKS

I ORDER ONLINE BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLINE FLY SHOPS AND THEY ARE JUST AS KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT A NYMPH AS ANY OTHER SHMUCK

I ORDER ONLINE BECAUSE I SAVE MONEY

I ORDER ONLINE BECAUSE I'M APATHETIC AND LOVE THE WEB

I ORDER ONLINE BECAUSE IT'S A 2 WAY STREET, I.E. FREE SHIPPING ON NEXT ORDER... ETC.

I ORDER ONLINE BECAUSE I'M THE MAN.

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 16:23:26 (permalink)
    shop lifting is cheaper yet.

i guess i do both. phone orders, i really would rather do business with our sponsor here. i am not a customer order number, but a name and they always have a few minutes to talk fishing with me. the same as a small shop. i try to stay away from cabelas and bass pro anymore. to me they are the epitome of big box stores.

i will buy from small tackle shops or fly shops when i have a few extra bucks. they are a source of info and a place out of the sun or cold. i like small businesses.

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/24 17:16:58 (permalink)
    rapala,

coming from a family of entrepreneurs, I'm with ya... what these guys are failing to understand is, a good portion of the equipment I and others purchase on the web, is generated by small business owners themselves, just online; just as some of the rod builders here on this forum.

I don't know where walmart, bass pro, or cabelas came into the scenario, but you wouldn't catch me dead buying fly equipment from any of those major retailers.  (with the exception of those fairplay tapered leaders for 1.96)
    post edited by musthuntmusky - 2011/02/24 17:17:59
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/25 11:08:18 (permalink)
    coming from a family of entrepreneurs, I'm with ya... what these guys are failing to understand is, a good portion of the equipment I and others purchase on the web, is generated by small business owners themselves, just online; just as some of the rod builders here on this forum.

That's actually a really good point. The general assumption in this debate seems to be that an online purchase is made at cabelas.com or basspro.com but more than ever before, JimBob's Fracking Creek Angler is getting his act together and getting online. It's a good time to be a fly fishing consumer, and you really may well be supporting small business with your purchase, just not a local business.

True, you may miss out on some of the 'hot tips' but lets face it: you can get most of those online as well, or from a fishing buddy, or, more likely, after a few years of fishing locally, you really don't need someone to tell you where they're biting.

At most of the FLFS I've been to, the 'info' is handled more like the penny dish at a convenience store. Tell the guy how you've been doing on local water, and flies that have worked for you, and usually you'll get a tip of equal value. Tell him you whacked the fish big time on a creek that was just stocked, your tip will consist of info you could have gotten from the stocking section of the PFBC website. Tell him that a local small stream had the beginning of its small hatch of green drakes last night, and your next tip might be an often overlooked section of water that has huge browns holding over.

Really, I feel its a completely personal decision. You've gotta balance the intangibles you get from shopping local against the economics you get from shopping online. For things I can't get at any price local, the decision is easy. All things equal, I buy in person. Anything much more than a 10-15% price difference, I buy online.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/25 12:54:32 (permalink)
    I buy from fly shops, barring some crazy closeout deals, because I like to. I like the atmosphere, generally, and don't want to see the local fly shops disappear OR go strictly on-line. I purchase rods/reels infrequently enough that I pay more to buy it from a small store, and thats ok.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/25 16:32:05 (permalink)
    "It says to call 1-800-Bass-Pro and ask for Johnny Morris. What kind of information is that?"

That's awesome, Shawn. Best post ever.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/25 16:38:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

"It says to call 1-800-Bass-Pro and ask for Johnny Morris. What kind of information is that?"

That's awesome, Shawn. Best post ever.

Can't be.  There was no sucker joke involved.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/26 20:40:08 (permalink)
    I buy stuff online too. A whole lot of shtuff. But I like to cast a rod before I spend the big bucks on one. Seems odd not to. And it's tough to do over the web. If it's about saving some $$$, there are about a dozen awesome korean rods that would have been much less than the bargain Sage. Gotta go--watching a few auctions on Gunbroker...
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/26 21:02:09 (permalink)
    i prefer my rods custom built so that's really not an issue.  If the wading jacket I buy doesn't fit, it gets shipped back and replaced.  I still saved forty bucks and my wife and I ate good.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/27 19:13:58 (permalink)
    why not quit being lazy and eat at home and patronize a local small business
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/27 20:19:53 (permalink)
    troutslammer,

I wish you would have read the entire thread before making yourself look dumb.

again... the majority of my internet purchases are from small business ventures, they were just smart enough, with this day in age, to have their business stretched beyond tangible means; e-commerce.

I mean... 2 posts up I said, I buy custom built rods... is that considered local business? I think so.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/27 20:45:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

why not quit being lazy and eat at home and patronize a local small business

There are more small businesses that are restaurants than fly shops. So not eating at home still can help small businesses. just sayin.
    post edited by rollcaster - 2011/02/27 20:46:16
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 09:07:57 (permalink)
    This debate will always be present.

I buy just about everything fly fishing wise from one local guy.  I have spent money on retail in there for a long time, prett much equals out to the same thing I was gonna pay online plus shipping. 

Now, I get a nice discount from him and in turn I give him a discount on rod building material.  The barter system can go a long way once you make friends with a shop owner so speaking in long run terms, it is the better route.

Of course I scout deals online, as mentioned above, but technically you are helping small business in turn.
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 12:01:37 (permalink)
    not too mention most fly shops are revolved around carrying big labeled rods/equipment: simms, gonia, orvis...

you're really only helping those companies, and again, buying your "buddy" his new set for the year. I sit in a local fly shop all the time and it's funny to watch dudes walk in, spend money, and think the dealer actually cares about them, like they are friends, but as soon as they leave, eyes are rolling.

"Oh yea, I know steve up at FFP, him and I are good friends." ___ highly doubtful, he just likes you buying things off him and puts on the front.

Now, I know a local dealer that is friends with a few of his loyal customers; accompanies them on trips for saltwater and the Pacific NW, but you still have to ask yourself, if you weren't buying religiously off them, would they be your friend? Again, doubtful
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 15:34:49 (permalink)
    If you fish, you have to buy your gear somewhere.  Whether local, big box, or wal mart its all personal preference.  Business is business, friendships can come from it or be lost from it, but whatever works for a particular person is what they should go with.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 21:11:39 (permalink)
    don't know why it looked dumb when you said in 2 different posts about how good you an wife eat with money you save by buying cheaper online , but the money you saved is wasted on a $2.00 pop and a $5.00 cheesburger and a $2.00 order of fries from a resturant so i guess you win , what you are doing makes perfect sense rock on pal ! different strokes for different folks.
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 21:31:15 (permalink)
    rock on i win.. u think I even have a wife? lol... geez.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Rod 2011/02/28 22:06:12 (permalink)
    You said you did or did you just say that to look cool ? this whole thread cracks me up
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: