Midging

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/07 13:33:10 (permalink)

Midging

Okay, all you midgers out there...how's it done? I've tried it a few times, but never with any success and always completely unsure of what I was doing. I'd like to learn how to do it, and I'm sure others here would be interested in adding it to their bag of tricks as well. I'd like to hear about all aspects: rods, leaders, rigging, patterns, conditions and stream features that lend themselves to it, methods...the works. Definitely NOT looking for handouts as far as where to go...I think anyone that fishes regularly should have no trouble finding waters where midges are present, but rather information dealing with the angler's end of things.

Generally the fly guys here are pretty helpful to anyone looking to learn, and many threads that start out like this end up being a benefit to everyone that reads them, even the contributors, with information from a surprisingly diverse group of fishermen that we have here on the site.

27 Replies Related Threads

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Midging 2011/02/07 13:53:58 (permalink)
    http://www.worldangler.com/Fly%20Tying/midge.htm
    Try this link out, got me started, love this technique in warm summer days
    flychucker623
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Midging 2011/02/07 17:01:14 (permalink)
    Midging has alot to do with having confidence in the flies you're using. I started by dropping a midge off any standard pattern I would fish with be it dry or nymph. Downsizing and lengthening tippet helps. I typically use 12 to 14 foot leaders, another thing to remember is presentation is very critical when midging a trout isn't gonna move far to eat a size 20 or smaller fly and they seem to be more critical of drift. 
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Midging 2011/02/07 17:52:07 (permalink)
    After you decide which midge the trout are rising to, match the size and color and impale a nitecrawler on the bend of the flyhook...WF
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/07 20:09:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: flychucker623

Midging has alot to do with having confidence in the flies you're using. I started by dropping a midge off any standard pattern I would fish with be it dry or nymph. Downsizing and lengthening tippet helps. I typically use 12 to 14 foot leaders, another thing to remember is presentation is very critical when midging a trout isn't gonna move far to eat a size 20 or smaller fly and they seem to be more critical of drift. 

How far did you hang it? I was thinking about starting that way...hang a #22 or 24 from a paradun or EHC in sane sizes. Are we talking 6" of 8X or 24"?

Also, I've tried using cream, brown, and black midges around SWPA, in #22, and really, as far as i can tell, had no results whatsoever. Just a thread body & peacock head. Should i be trying something a little more distinctive?
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 05:49:39 (permalink)
    cold i bought the book modern midges loads of patterns
    and some technical stuff in there too. As a matter of fact
    i have been slowly putting together a midge box myself here.
    check out this book i don't think you will be disappointed.ff46

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 07:53:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: flychucker623

How far did you hang it? I was thinking about starting that way...hang a #22 or 24 from a paradun or EHC in sane sizes. Are we talking 6" of 8X or 24"?

Also, I've tried using cream, brown, and black midges around SWPA, in #22, and really, as far as i can tell, had no results whatsoever. Just a thread body & peacock head. Should i be trying something a little more distinctive?

Check your PM.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 08:01:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys
    Check your PM.

Hey, look at that! That'll teach me to assume that I only got one PM at a time! (got yours and another, and assumed once I read the other, that I was caught up).

Thanks.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 08:33:23 (permalink)
    No problem.

You might want to come to Central PA for the Trico's this summer and learn from the small fly guys that reside on Spring Creek.  They know who they are.  Of course, you have to watch the one guy, he will slip to the dark side and start catching those brown trout with the round lips.

flychucker623
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 17:12:56 (permalink)
    When Nymphing i like to keep my droppers pretty short 12 to 18 inches less tangles. Dropping a midge larva off a dry about the depth of water within reason. Two dries i like to keep at least 24 inches between them. But there are countless ways to approach this experimentation is your best bet find what works best for you and the waters you fish. Also I typically stop at 7 x and only fish floro when midging.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 21:35:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

No problem.

You might want to come to Central PA for the Trico's this summer and learn from the small fly guys that reside on Spring Creek.  They know who they are.  Of course, you have to watch the one guy, he will slip to the dark side and start catching those brown trout with the round lips.

Brown trout with round lips? I know you're talking about me.

Sometimes you have to go to the darkside to catch the big boys. I've caught bigger, but this one had the nicest colors. I swear I didn't photoshop the pic.

post edited by thedrake - 2011/02/08 21:37:47
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/08 22:01:13 (permalink)
    My technique for midges is simple. Long light leaders 10-12' 6x-7x leaders. I most often fish a cdc midge in the surface film or just under. From time to time, I'll drop a tiny midge larva underneath, but not often.

Since fish are rising to midges in glass smooth, slow moving water, you'll need a little slack in your leader. Learning a slack cast helps a bunch.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 08:52:46 (permalink)
    Okay you win.

No more sucker jokes.

Right.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 11:26:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

My technique for midges is simple. Long light leaders 10-12' 6x-7x leaders. I most often fish a cdc midge in the surface film or just under. From time to time, I'll drop a tiny midge larva underneath, but not often.

Since fish are rising to midges in glass smooth, slow moving water, you'll need a little slack in your leader. Learning a slack cast helps a bunch.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 12:08:14 (permalink)
    yeah what the drake said. maybe flyfishindave will chime in too , his old eyes can see those gnats ..
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 12:30:13 (permalink)
    Drake, that one should have went on the wall. Is that the Lock Leven type brown i've heard so much about??..WF
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 13:03:12 (permalink)
    So when you guys are fishing the dries/emergers, you cast, and pretty much just look at the water where you figure your fly ought to be, and strike at any rise in the area?

If so, how the heck do you fish subsurface?

Also, any particular conditions (other than seeing midges about) that tell you to fish em? For example, most streams around here that have any BWO activity at all...when you get a good hard rain (not a thunderstorm, but lots of rain), I try a para-BWO, because they seem to like to hatch in the rain. Doesnt matter whether its floating or tumbling along slightly submerged, maybe they take it for a BWO that got whacked by a raindrop. Either way, for me, rain = BWO. Any particular triggers that signal good midging to you guys?
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 14:45:02 (permalink)
    Drake that is a great trophy it should be on the wall
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 16:02:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishindave

Who says it isn't?

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 21:02:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: flyfishindave

I decided to let that beauty go. I may have a replica made one day.... once I can find a worthy taxedermist.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Midging 2011/02/09 21:42:58 (permalink)
    That's a great pic. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Midging 2011/02/10 11:13:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

So when you guys are fishing the dries/emergers, you cast, and pretty much just look at the water where you figure your fly ought to be, and strike at any rise in the area?

If so, how the heck do you fish subsurface?

Also, any particular conditions (other than seeing midges about) that tell you to fish em? For example, most streams around here that have any BWO activity at all...when you get a good hard rain (not a thunderstorm, but lots of rain), I try a para-BWO, because they seem to like to hatch in the rain. Doesnt matter whether its floating or tumbling along slightly submerged, maybe they take it for a BWO that got whacked by a raindrop. Either way, for me, rain = BWO. Any particular triggers that signal good midging to you guys?

When you're landing your line and leader on the smooth water where fish eat midges, you can usually see the slight disturbance on the water where you're leader has landed, and get a general idea of where your fly is. There are those occasions where you can get away with a larger pattern that floats well and is visible like a griffiths knat. Another option is to tie some of the bigger midges para style with a bright post, but it doesn't happen often that you can get away with fish a fly big enough to allow a post.

Weather doesn't play that big of a part in midges hatching other than temperature. Around here they start as early as January so long as the temp is warm enough, and you'll see some form of midge on the water just about every day until the coldest months. I'd say water condition plays the biggest role in determining whether fish will be eating midges. If the water is high enough that the slow calm stretches are not so slow or calm, you won't see trout wasting their energy to eat midges on top. If the water is low, the trout are much more likely to be eating them on top.

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Midging 2011/02/23 15:34:37 (permalink)
    I missed this the first time around.

Midging to sighted fish that don't care you're there is my favorite fishing. No matter where you are or when you're there, there will always be some fish that are willing to eat midges in some form or another. The best is when the fish don't care that you're there and keep eating anything that is perfectly right and ignoring anything that isn't. There are a couple places like that which are some of my favorite places to fish. There is a certain thrill in knowing that you've made just the right presentation with just the right fly for the most picky fish on the stream.

The run at the Breeches is one of those places. In the summer, the fish are stacked, see TONS of anglers, and are midging all day from larva that come down from the lake. You can make a great cast with the right fly and the fish will watch it go past. You can make a bad cast, spook the fish, and wait 10 minutes for them to be right back where they were and eating again. Not all of them will be eating, but there will always be some that are.

I fish all types of midges from big worm looking things down to little dries. My most productive is a #18 gray bodied larva with a black thread rib, and a turn or two of peacock at the head. Fish it deep, middle, or up top and it will be pretty close a lot of the time. For fish that aren't too picky it is a good 'general' midge. If you tie it with a thread body only it will sink fairly fast, and with a heavier hook (TMC2457) it will sink faster yet. That fishes well in streams. If you use a silk body wrapped loosely and a light hook it will sit in the film well. I tend to tie this way and add micro shot as needed. I'll vary the colors and sizes a little, but in general this is what I fish and keep in my box.

My other fish catcher is a TMC200 size 14 tied thin with red floss, an ultra fine silver rib, and a touch of white synthetic around the head. There are always some blood midges around and this gets pretty close to an emerging one. If the fish are being picky or keying on small stuff, I have some tiny stuff too. I carry 300-400 midges at any given moment (only takes 2 tiny boxes really) so that's where the beauty of 'friendly' fish from above comes in. You can keep trying sizes and colors until you get what they are looking for and the fish will keep giving you opportunities.

For gear, I normally fish a 3 or 4 wt and 7X. I have two main midge rods, an 8' and a 10' and which one I use depends on the stream/lake. They are the same rod separated by 2'. Both are very light power and bend well into the bottom 1/3rd. Leaders depend on the place too, but I'm normally around 10-12'. Fluoro is my norm, but mono works too. I also like loon strike putty. I'll usually put a pea sized piece above the tippet knot, but vary it depending on the depth of the fish. I use the putty (or a greased leader) to suspend the fly at the same depth as the fish. They won't go down for a fly and they won't go up much normally. Gotta be just right on presentation.

I also like microshot around size 12. It helps get the tiny flies down to depth and stay there despite any current.

I think it goes without saying that polarized glasses are a must. Sunny days help too, especially when it is cold outside.

in picture, l to r, well used red midge, #24 natural midge, well used (dozens of fish) generic gray, new thread body bead head gray

Thanks,
    Rick

post edited by casts_by_fly - 2011/02/23 15:36:23
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: Midging 2011/02/23 16:46:07 (permalink)
    Missed this thread, too.
    The only time I fish midges are when the fish are actively feeding on them and usually only on top as I am your typical dry fly addict.
    Drag is critical. But you probably already know that. It's gotta be perfect drifts.
    If you have drag problems with normal size flies such as 18 mayfly spinners, well,, you might want to fix that for starters. 
    Drake had some good info as with a slack cast. A little wiggle of the rod tip at the end of the cast can also give you some S.
    I'd start out with as long as a leader as you can handle. Stream width, & rod length comes into play on medium and small streams. Here, you don't necessarily need an extra long or complex leader, just long enough that you can handle things comfortably. A slightly shorter leader used with good line control is advantageous in placing the fly exactly where you want it, which in turn helps you locate the fly.
    A longer leader has the advantage in lengthening your drift and for spooky fish.

Size does matter. If they are eating 24s on top, they probably won't touch a 22. Believe me.

The first couple days of a hatch will give you the best results. After day three, it's "game on".
    I love tricos .

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Midging 2011/02/23 17:01:04 (permalink)
    what drake & dano said drift & size means everything, as far as seeing them you train your self to watch the leader & fly float to the surface & you will see them better than you think & I agree love those TRICOS
    pheasanttail85
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Midging 2011/02/24 15:55:15 (permalink)
    there are two books that helped me out alot on midging. midge magic by don holbrook & ed koch... and fishing the midge by ed koch. both are really good and informative reads. midge magic has tons of different patterns too
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: Midging 2011/02/24 20:54:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pheasanttail85

there are two books that helped me out alot on midging. midge magic by don holbrook & ed koch... and fishing the midge by ed koch. both are really good and informative reads. midge magic has tons of different patterns too

Very good reads and very usefull if you want to fish the Breeches like cast-by-fly mentioned.
    Both authors based many of their patterns from years of fishing Yellow Breeches.
    BTW, I always wondered how that creek got its name.
    pheasanttail85
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Midging 2011/02/26 16:17:00 (permalink)
    dano, hope this helps found it on the yellow breeches watershed assotiation website

There are many opinions about the source of the name, Yellow Breeches, but no conclusions. The earliest recorded use of a variation of this name that the author has found is in the Blunston’s Licenses first issued to David Priest on May 2 1734 for 200 acres of land on the south side of the “Yellow Britches” Creek.. It is repeated as “Britches” in nine other licenses issued between 1734 and 1736, according to the transcription by Mrs. Harry Royes and published by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania. Local historian Robert G. Crist indicated that it was spelled “Breeches” in the Blunston Licenses. Smout’s survey of 1736 included the name “Yellow Breeches”. It appears that after 1737, the name “Yellow Breeches was used exclusively, i.e. Peter Chatier’s 1739 Deed to his tract in New Cumberland Borough.
    One story is that some old “Geezer” in the early days washed his buckskin breeches in the creek and yellowed the water. Another story is that the name is a corruption from yellow beeches, from the great number of trees of that species that grew upon its banks. The presence of beech trees is confirmed in the 1740 survey of Peter Chartier’s tract which started at the mouth of the Yellow Breeches at the Susquehanna River, “…. beginning at a beech tree on the banks of the Susquehanna river…”. Or it may have been taken from an old song:

“Yellow Breeches,
    Full of stitches,
    Mammy sewed the buttons on:
    Daddy kicked me out of bed
    For sleeping with the breeches on,” (4)

Jump to: