Author
Riverbum
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 294
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/26 13:45:14 (permalink)

fly fishing for pike

Hey folks,

I've never fished for pike on the fly before, but after watching a few clips on the outdoor channel and seeing some discussion here, I am absolutely pumped to catch one this spring. My own research finds that I should use 1) at least an 8wt rod 2) steel leaders 3) use large agitating flies, 1/0 or bigger and 4) target shallow weed beds

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Also,
1) Single hook or double?
2) What material colors are most successful?
3) Floating line ok?
4) Surface flies or sub surface?
5) Any other special equipment?
6) Favorite locations? W/o spot burning (can you spot burn for pike :)

Thanks

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
~by Henry David Thoreau~

41 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 14:10:32 (permalink)
    I too am going to try for the toothy critters this year..
    I have tied up some floating long white weedless zonker strips for my try at them.
    I would think any large minnow pattern should work..

The two best places I know of to catch pike in my area are Eaton Resevoir(Bull Dam) and Conneaut lake just out of Meadville.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 16:03:28 (permalink)
    I prefer using 2 hooks, flashaboo, any materials really silver is the best for me with orange, red, green, yellow, and of course the one that catches them when all others fail pink. i prefer floating line but it doesnt matter because of the fize of flies. I use both surface and sinking. And I make sure to always bring a spinning rod in the car, because you never know when the fish will just be to far out and in casting range where you can chuck lures and bait. And my favorite areas in Erie to hook up with these monsters are no secret they are pretty large sections. The head of the bay produces usually quantity but not large fish, while the stinkhole you have a chance at both muskie and pike. Then thompson bay is a Erie favorite, but watch for dropoffs. And finally my personal favorite, this one is for trolling and casting plugs for muskie and pike I like fishing the deep shipping areas on the bayfront side. A lot of forage and plenty of food I typically fish 15 to 30 feet of water with big plugs. Hope this helps!
    ORIGINAL: Riverbum

Hey folks,

I've never fished for pike on the fly before, but after watching a few clips on the outdoor channel and seeing some discussion here, I am absolutely pumped to catch one this spring. My own research finds that I should use 1) at least an 8wt rod 2) steel leaders 3) use large agitating flies, 1/0 or bigger and 4) target shallow weed beds

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Also,
    1) Single hook or double?
    2) What material colors are most successful?
    3) Floating line ok?
    4) Surface flies or sub surface?
    5) Any other special equipment?
    6) Favorite locations? W/o spot burning (can you spot burn for pike :)

Thanks

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 17:53:10 (permalink)
    1- single hooks... they hit the head and the amount of water displaced by the gill flare is enough to suck up the entire fly
    - you can tie and cast doubles

2- orange/red... white/red

3- yes along with INT or sink...
    - int are cool with topwater.... it will make you fly dive rather than skip
    - a floating line will not allow you to fish effectively past 4ft deep

4- wire leaders... look at craft stores for wire bead string or FF companies make all kinds
    - there are guys who swear by 70 or 80 lb fluro for big fish... but smaller fish have sharper/more teeth and will shred

5- learn how to shoot line with minimal false casting... 4 false casts to hit 90ft is much more effective than 8 casts to hit 70
    - a WF or shooting head line
    post edited by KJH807 - 2011/01/26 17:58:00

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 18:34:54 (permalink)
    All good advice. I'd start by fishing grass or weed beds in 4' or less. You can use a weighted fly and still get it down with a floating line. Weight with a floating line makes the fly rise faster when you strip retrieve. After a strip let the fly stall for a moment. Pike will really smack a lure they think is tired and dying. You can buy 4" 20# wire leaders at fishUSA. Snap swivvels at both ends. Good Stuff!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 18:53:31 (permalink)
    I also use chrome soft baits that look like large minnows, you can cast them a mile with a fly rod, and yet strip them like a fly
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 19:35:28 (permalink)
    i might have to try this myself... sounds almost as exciting as bonefishing....
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/01/26 19:44:12 (permalink)
    it is at times, less costly and sometimes very productive. takes practice
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/02/08 22:51:18 (permalink)
    heavy flouro (65#) has worked well for me.

1) Single hook or double? - I use single mostly.
    2) What material colors are most successful? - For me, chart/white, white, black, in that order.
    3) Floating line ok? - Works til you get over 15 feet deep IMO. I use floating line even fishing mega Deep Clousers on the Ohio River.
    4) Surface flies or sub surface?  - Both will work at different times, but sub surface tends to be the numbers approach.
    5) Any other special equipment? - A good (long!) hook extractor pays for itself the very first time you use it! :)
    6) Favorite locations? W/o spot burning (can you spot burn for pike :) - The Allegheny from Cheswick all the way down to Dashields Dam. Pike and Musky to play with though I see more Musky in the O.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/02/08 23:40:12 (permalink)
    large pike are not always in shallow water.  early in the season they are shallow but if you're going in late july to august they may be deeper, depending on how far north you go and what the primary bait fish is. so have both a floating line and sinking line to cover the whole spectrum or use a nonflyrod for the deeper stuff.  for flies, have different color combos because pike will change their preference, even during the day.  i think it depends on light intensity and sun angle.  red/white, yellow/black, white/blue, chartrues/black, orange/yellow base combos have worked well.  now for each combo throw in some gold, silver, copper flash and you cover all bases.

use a tieable wire like surflon or titanium.  check out the latest in-fisherman magazine to get a handle on the wire set up.

as for a rod i use an 8, and it is ok but i'd rather use a 9wt., it will be easier to cast the big wet flies, especially if your using a lot of rabbit strip flies. and it's better when windy.  i take both and have each rigged with a different type fly, a top water on 1 the other a bunny leach or deceiver type.
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/02/17 10:51:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys...I cant wait to get out there. Here's hoping this warmer weather isn't a complete tease.
    post edited by Riverbum - 2011/02/17 10:57:03

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/02/18 11:44:27 (permalink)
    yeah only maybe 2 or 3 weeks till we test the waters although the best fishing is over a month away
    citysticker
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/02/20 21:20:21 (permalink)
    i know a great place for spring pike in ur area. pm me." hint" geneva marsh
    jvp
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/02 13:03:15 (permalink)
    hi long time reader first time poster questionon this topic: in regards to Presque Isle. Do pike find their way into the ponds and lagoons and if so, can you wade for them?
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/02 21:14:46 (permalink)
    Yes they do, and yes you can. Any of the inlet waters are good, but I like to use a kayak for the lagoons to cover more water.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    jvp
    New Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 09:06:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Loopy I will give a shot this spring and will post some pics if I get into some fish
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 14:46:24 (permalink)
    yeah I use a friend on mines kayak to get deep into the lagoons, a lot of great water back there and if you can fish a shallow spot near the cabbage patches back there aligned with a dropoff you can fish that area for hours usually catching some pretty nice fish. Usually its a learning experience the first fews times but once you find the right pattern, it leads to multiple big fish back there. Just change patterns often and don't be afraid to go to big
    jvp
    New Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 15:48:26 (permalink)
    wow thanks for the advice fish whisperer, do you think is an April event or in May? assuming a normal spring
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 16:46:27 (permalink)
    You I have caught them even into early June as long as the water doesn't warm too much. Even through summer you can catch a few but the size goes down as the water warms up
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 16:47:49 (permalink)
    Yeah guys thanks for all of this info. I am psyched to try this for the first time this year. One question.... at what water temps will they start to retreat to deeper colder water?
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 21:33:57 (permalink)
    Yeah pike usually move into deeper water. However, in summer days that are overcast especially after or during a good rain pike normally move into shallow water because bugs normally fall into the water off of plants and baitfish feed off of the bugs leading to good pike bite. It really is fun to cast a fly when you see pike or when you know pike are smashing the surface in rainy weather
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/03 21:38:33 (permalink)
    Actually the pike can be ON from late March through April. My best action has been in April.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/04 05:36:21 (permalink)
    Good to know whisper. Thanks again... im going to play it by ear since the pond that I have in mind to target will probably be frozen still for the next month maybe.... can't wait though...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/03/04 05:40:26
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/05 10:34:35 (permalink)
    Has anyone used braid as appose to steel leader?
    Thinking of trying that this year to give fly more action.

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/06 14:01:29 (permalink)
    from what i've read, braid does not make good leader for toothy fish.  the braid, as tough as it is, does not stand up very well to abrasion.  the thin filaments cut easily and weaken the leader.  to allow the fly to move more freely on a steel leader i used a haywire twist for solid steel leaders. for flex wire i tie the wire to a snap using a clinch knot.
    TMealy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/10 10:05:50 (permalink)
    Are there pickerel in Geneva March and/or Conneaut Lake?
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/10 10:39:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

from what i've read, braid does not make good leader for toothy fish.  the braid, as tough as it is, does not stand up very well to abrasion.  the thin filaments cut easily and weaken the leader.  to allow the fly to move more freely on a steel leader i used a haywire twist for solid steel leaders. for flex wire i tie the wire to a snap using a clinch knot.

Riz....I fish braid on all my spinreels for pike, bowfin, gar and other toothy critters....It holds up really well. I quit using steel leads. However....

To answer Mika's ?....I've asked a few guys about this...they say it wont cast well as a fly leader...they said it doesn't "turn over" well.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/18 06:24:47 (permalink)
    With a 9 or ten weight rod and a good double haul, im sure it will turn over...
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/18 07:33:30 (permalink)
    I have a heavy 8wt....I'm gonna try it....I hope it works

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: fly fishing for pike 2011/03/18 07:37:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

With a 9 or ten weight rod and a good double haul, im sure it will turn over...

Has nothing to do with line speed. The line itself just doesn't have enough body/stiffness. Only way I've ever seen it used as a leader was furled.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: