Author
thelabrat57
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/07 12:39:56 (permalink)

Slippery Rock Creek

Gentlemen,

I was hoping someone could help me out. A buddy of mine and I are heading up to Slippery Rock Creek in Mcconnells Mill State Park this weekend to do some fishing. Neither one of us has ever fished this creek and I am looking for a little advice as to where to fish and what to use for both trout and bass. I am aware that a ½ mile stretch of the creek (on the south west side of the park) is fly fishing only and catch and release only. I haven’t taken up fly fishing yet, so that part of the creek is off limits. Are there any other special regulations on the rest of the creek for bass or trout and the bait used to catch them?

Thanks

thelabrat

6 Replies Related Threads

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Slippery Rock Creek 2007/11/07 14:20:56 (permalink)
    There are no other regs. 

When you enter the park, go straight along the road until you come to a big parking lot on the right.  There will be a bathroom, picnic area and dumpsters.  Park there, walk the path down to the mill (there are signs) and fish anywhere to the left or right of the mill.  You can go 1/2 mile to a mile either way from the mill and there is good fishing all along there.  I usually walk upstream a bit, then come back downstream past the mill and fish.  they haven't stocked it there for trout since spring, but im sure there are some holdovers,and definitely some bass.

Any live bait will work.  Lures, Ive used small rappalas and caught bass and trout.  Ive also caught them both with wooley buggers-alone or tipped with wax worms.  Cast upstream and bring it down through the current just off the bottom.  There are lots of current breaks behing big rocks that hold fish.  Be prepared to lose some stuff as the current takes it underneath rocks, but its a beautiful place to fish and worth it. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    thelabrat57
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Slippery Rock Creek 2007/11/07 15:00:35 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376...Thanks for the info. You have actually helped me out several times on this site, once here today and last week when I had some questions about Northpark Lake. My outing at Northpark Lake didn’t produce a lot of fish. In fact I got hosed. But I had fun never the less. I could see fish, and could almost hit them, but they couldn't have cared less about my bait. Actually I met a guy who had been there two days before and caught and released 10 trout (I think). He showed me some of his honey holes in the creek that leads into the lake. I tried them as well but with no luck. But you'll have that occasionally with fishing. It’s either a feast or a famine, and if you didn't have any "bad days" fishing then you wouldn't have any "good days" as well.

Thanks again for the info.

thelabrat

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Slippery Rock Creek 2007/11/07 17:10:21 (permalink)
    no problem.  I am no expert, but i've been fishing the Pa area for awhile, so I at least know a few things.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    fruntz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Slippery Rock Creek 2007/11/08 08:53:49 (permalink)
    thelabrat57

As you explore there are a couple of things that I may suggest.

Trout Streams of PA  (Informative book of all of the trout streams in PA.  This includes the famous limestone streams in the middle of the state.

http://www.fishusa.com/Trout-Streams-of-Pennsylvania-3rd-Edition_p.html?i=1CA91C0DE85B41BD928AC68942699CBE

'Pennsylvania Atlas and Gazetteer (9 ed)' (Map)
    by DeLorme

this map shows nearly every road in pa and nearly every body of water. 

Also, the state fish commission page has some great info as well as their bi-monthly magazine.

Best of luck this weekend.  On the way to slippery rock you can also cut over to lake arthur in butler county or hereford manor by zeli.
    fruntz

kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Slippery Rock Creek 2007/11/08 19:10:37 (permalink)
    Just a tip, don't slip off those rocks.  The current can be dangerous in that area.
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Slippery Rock Creek 2007/11/08 20:31:41 (permalink)
    I'll bet there are plenty of trout below the spillway upstream a few hundred yards from the fly fishing only section from when they stocked it in October.  Always lots of bass(nice sized) and I even saw a musky this summer there.  Minnies and crayfish if you can find them should do.  Just make sure you don't stand on the dam.  Not only is it illegal, but you fall off it this time of year, you're probably at least going to have a really bad day, or not making it out at all. 
    Jump to: