All day spring turkey hunting

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
  • Reward points: 0
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/11 15:19:11 (permalink)
Re Retired Guy .... Yeah you might be right about the common sense thing or they could leave you lay like those so called mistaken illeagle antlered deer woops there is that deer word again! ( I aint saying any names but crappiefisher mentioned groundhogs in the above post. )  I better get some help !
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/21 15:26:46 (permalink)
  Knew a guy once who shot a spike during doe season over 30 years ago. According to him the spike had 2 -3 inch horns about the size of a #2 pencil in diameter and they were dark colored.  He didnt see them at all at about 40 yds in the brush. Deer was standing still looking straight at him  with its ears forward. And this was a guy who passed spikes regularly in buck season.
According to that guy the deer went out of the woods with a doe/button  tag on it. He took his chances- would never leave one lay. Then he went home and tore up his buck tag.
Sometimes despite  best intentions and attempts to be legal all the time- stuff happens
post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/21 15:45:04
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/21 16:34:22 (permalink)
Turn yourself in now for mistake kill and its a 25. dollar fine I mean 500. nobody is perfect and have come across several mistaken kills in the last 5 years . You could see where the shooter was standing and an undersized buck left, very apparent to what happened there. I have a rule of my own if I got the balls to pull the trigger I got the balls to pull it out of the woods. Hope I don't have to face this someday don't want the fine. 
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/21 17:20:11 (permalink)
Agree completely-
   Its one thing if you believe its legal and find out otherwise  and do the "right thing" and quite another to intentionally just plain shoot and find out later.
   I know there are those who say a close call shouldnt be made but when you dont see horns at all and shoot a doe that has spiney little spikes you couldnt see ten yards off whos to judge. Its all about intent.
    How many guys thought they killed a legal spike only to find the horns an eighth of an inch too small. You know- that old half an ear thing.  Same thing when a guy in your state sees plenty of legal horn then -when its too late- no base tines.
  If our sport offered ideal conditions with clearly viewed stand still and be counted and measured  deer all the time it wouldnt be Deer hunting it would be target shooting.
   Not much different than a guy accidentally bleeding out  an undersized Trout when trying to get the hook out. Whaddaya  do with the fish?
   I think your fines may have gone up cause SOME folks decided to pay the fine and shoot whatever they wanted. Could have been that far too many "accidents" were occuring.
   That says either the law was too dopy to begin with or some tried to "get over". Fortunately true missteps are rare things and I'm NOT  talking about shooting a cow instead of a deer.
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/02 10:50:26 (permalink)
I will be skipping 11 season in Pa. as I skipped 09 just not interested in participating  BS, HR/AR here anymore (1-B) this is a personal decision and does not reflect on those who are looking forward to it totally respect that. Maybe in 12 they will have revised the laws more to my liking? Gonna enjoy this spring gobbler season that's comin though and finish my 10 tag out AM. of course .
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/02 12:27:47 (permalink)
Its only the end of the season, after the first three Saturdays, that is all day... I got no beef with it, like someone else said, PA is just one of many to allow it, I have been waiting for it. What seems odd to me is the season ends on a Tuesday?
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/02 15:24:41 (permalink)
can you girls talk about deer in the non-turkey hunting section?

valid point crappiefisher, never thought about groundhog hunters being out.  Orange band around the tree you're sitting against may help

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/02 17:54:20 (permalink)
Gender (male) your right on the other including orange band on tree!
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/02 19:39:38 (permalink)

i thought i had read it somewhere before or at least heard about it... just found it in the digest

"Wild Turkey Seasons (Fall)
All Other Wildlife Management Areas
(Shotgun/Rifle Areas)
A minimum of 250 square inches on head, chest and back
combined, visible 360 degrees at all times when moving.
May be removed at stationary calling location, providing
a minimum of 100 square inches of daylight fluorescent
orange material is posted within 15 feet of the location
and is visible 360 degrees."

how many of of you guys who hunt fall turkey actually put orange within 15ft of yourself?  All the areas that I used to hunt for fall turkey don't require the band but that's only a few management units.  I guess it could be adapted to spring turkey since it will be an all day affair just as fall hunting is.

Link for anyone who wants to see the page:  http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/827976/fluorescent_orange_pdf

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/06 00:36:57 (permalink)
The PGC wanted to include the holiday as the last day to hunt. Memorial Day
ORIGINAL: countryfisher

Its only the end of the season, after the first three Saturdays, that is all day... I got no beef with it, like someone else said, PA is just one of many to allow it, I have been waiting for it. What seems odd to me is the season ends on a Tuesday?

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/06 00:44:34 (permalink)
Yes I put up an orange band during fall turkey when calling from a stationary spot. I also wear an orange hat while moving during spring gobbler although NO orange is required during spring gobbler. The PGC dropped the FO requirement a few years ago due to the fact they had no accidents wearing it. Honest, I swear !
ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

i thought i had read it somewhere before or at least heard about it... just found it in the digest

"Wild Turkey Seasons (Fall)
All Other Wildlife Management Areas
(Shotgun/Rifle Areas)
A minimum of 250 square inches on head, chest and back
combined, visible 360 degrees at all times when moving.
May be removed at stationary calling location, providing
a minimum of 100 square inches of daylight fluorescent
orange material is posted within 15 feet of the location
and is visible 360 degrees."

how many of of you guys who hunt fall turkey actually put orange within 15ft of yourself?  All the areas that I used to hunt for fall turkey don't require the band but that's only a few management units.  I guess it could be adapted to spring turkey since it will be an all day affair just as fall hunting is.

Link for anyone who wants to see the page:  http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/827976/fluorescent_orange_pdf

retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/06 01:41:20 (permalink)
I have to check the book again but I believe here in CT you have to wear orange while on the move during Turkey in the fall ( all day)- guess you can sit on it when sitting.
  That would probably make some sense in an all day Spring season too.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/03/10 22:01:26 (permalink)
Gettin ready boyz--
    Been scouting and looking around early listening for gobbles on the roosts.
 Our season has 3 tom tags this year and starts on the 27th on April. Thank god for steelhead or id go nuts between now and then.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: