Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/21 13:03:26 (permalink)

All day spring turkey hunting

Looks like they want to try out an all day spring turkey season starting with a split season in May. Seems like too much pressure on the gobblers to me and a lot of folks road hunting looking for the birds out in the fields feeding before going to roost. It will mean less compettion for us early risers though as many will opt to sleep in since they have all day. I'am not sure If I like it or not.

42 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/21 14:16:54 (permalink)
    It will work out quite well for the amish here. Now they won't have to stalk the turkey callers in the woods they can just wait till almost dark and shoot them off the roost..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/21 15:12:43 (permalink)
    No. I dont like it. Therefore its almost certain to pass.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/21 15:46:51 (permalink)
    I am not a die hard Turk hunter and I don't have to contend with the straw hats here in Allegheny, Western Westmoreland Counties so I don't think I would mind the change.  I could get some hunting in on my way home from work during the week.  But, if they keep it the same, that wouldn't bother me either.

If the turk population sees a big decline after they implement it though, then I hope it would get changed back pretty quickly. 
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/22 05:58:11 (permalink)
    Didn't it already pass? I thought I read it was already going to be in place for this year's season.

I like it. Opens up the opportunity to take the kiddo after school, just not enough time before. I just don't buy the "shoot 'em off the roost" theory. If a guy wants to limb bang one, he can do it anyway in the morning.
    As far as shooting them on the way to roost, guys do that now, just in reverse. The sneak in before dark and bang 'em on the way to feed. been going on as long as turkey hunting has.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/22 08:27:04 (permalink)
    I'm all for the change and the added opportunity for all the working stiffs.
    I just know that the amish WILL take advantage of this for blasting them off the roost.
    They pulled it here out back the last week of turkey this year. 3 nights in a row they were knocking them off the roost after shooting hours. Yes I called the local WCO but coudn't get him here in time for their shinanigans...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/22 17:56:13 (permalink)
    Bought my tag last spring and went out the first of May and got a longbeard- then found out Ct had opened the season a week or two earlier in April. Gotta read that darn book now and then.
      Dont think that opening early is much different than going out all day. The turkeys are mostly all bred and eggs laid before a season opens any way wherever you go.
       The numbers go up and down each year because of so many weather related issues that I really dont think hunting has much impact with them like it does with deer. A  very wet Spring here a few years ago really slowed them down for a while. Those late evening hunters would do the same thing by a roost early in the day - slobs is just slobs.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/22 18:49:48 (permalink)
    slobs is just slobs

True enough but one marker of a slob is he is lazy. To get up at 4:30AM to shoot a bird off the roost eliminates some of them. Going out and driving around in the evening may be another matter. I fully agree that a wet spring kills way more turkey than all the slobs together.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/22 20:27:38 (permalink)
    They were probably doing it all along any way- just no one hunting to see or hear it. Those kind of HUNTERS dont change. Who knows, maybe a legal guy or two around will actually slow it down for you guys. Used to hear the same thing about "them"  roost shooting in PA  40 years ago.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/24 00:09:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

No. I dont like it. Therefore its almost certain to pass.

My thoughts also.........

heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/24 09:52:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ready2fish

Didn't it already pass? I thought I read it was already going to be in place for this year's season.

that was my understanding because i knew about it last year during turkey season and it noted that it was the 2011 season.
    it's a double edged sword... it benefits the guys who can't go out in the morning before work during the week, but also benefits the jags who will go out and try to bust them off the roost at sunset

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/24 16:50:31 (permalink)
    Honestly, I'm excited to be able to hunt in the afternoon. As a shift worker there are times that hunting in the morning was impossible. In years past I had to take a week of vacation to hunt at all due to the shift I'm on for the month. Once that week of vacation was over, many years, so was my Spring hunting. As I also mentioned, it will give me an opportunity to take my daughter also. She will be 5 in April and wants to go with Dad. Getting her up at 4 AM and ready to go would almost be impossible. Every time she sees a blind in a sporting goods store she tells me that she wants to go and sit in the blind (I have one and use it every so often) for turkeys. This Spring I can make that happen in the afternoon.

I know many hunters will go out 2 or so hours before dark and try to roost one for the morning. I've had many times where gobblers w/o hens gobble their heads off looking for one in the afternoon/evening hours. I've often wished I could hunt them then, now I will be able to.

Another thought......around here you're pressed to see anyone turkey hunting the last 2 weeks of the season. They have either harvested a bird or given up. I believe it will be the same even with being able to hunt in the afternoon, only time will tell.
    post edited by ready2fish - 2011/01/24 16:52:18

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/28 10:43:51 (permalink)
    In favor also, I work 1st shift and Saturdays and have to mess with work schedule in order to participate in hunt. Looking forward to an opportunity to take long beard in afternoon without having to schedule vacation time off for the AM. hunt. Usually gotta dress for the cold and damp when in afternoon hours can go out in lighter outfit just less crap to deal with as for popping them out of the roost in the evening it just don't matter to me if they want to take the chance of shooting after shooting hours sounds to me like they would do this no matter what the hunting hours are anyway.Gonna go and be thankful for this freedom that we Americans have .                                                  
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/01/31 23:58:14 (permalink)
    Will defiantly put more hunters in the woods. Could the same thing happen to the turkey population as it did with the deer ? Maybe a beard restriction (BR) is in store so we only shoot trophy toms.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/04 21:24:32 (permalink)
    I hunt 1B and have for 37 years . All I eat are deer and turkey and that's all anymore seeing the grouse are all but extinct here. I know this is for turkey hunting BUT as you mentioned the deer herd. Cant help remember what what was told to us hunters about antler restrictions and why. I would safely say that 8 out of 10 hunters I know and talk too were not in favor of this even with a 25 dollar fine on mistake kills . OH and all that have turned themselves in for mistake kills were fined 500 dollars. I was careful not to drop a undersized buck and have not been one of those who were beguiled on that subject. This law we have has caused me to pass many borderline bucks and the ones that I did harvest were pretty respectable racks,but did not taste very good because of old age (like eating an old cow)In the past all my buck kills were usually 1 1\2 to 2 year old deer and tasted really good.(Never ate an antler and don't care about lining my walls with large racks) All this was about was timber and insurance companies big $$ They knew this would wipe out the deer herd with all the doe being removed by the hunters and the fawns by coyotes so where does the majority stand? All us hunters have a say in this why not poll us on what we want in stead of them telling us what we want!           
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/04 21:45:05 (permalink)
    its to easy to kill a bird after 12:00. u think there is fewer tukey now than 5 years ago. wait 3 or 4 more years , there wont be any.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/04 23:03:45 (permalink)
    I don't have a problem with taking spring or fall long beards been pretty successful in this! Wouldn't mind going in the fall without having to schedule vacation or losing overtime just saying. Looking forward to it.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/06 13:07:03 (permalink)
    fall season has been all day anyway
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/06 16:48:39 (permalink)
    Um my bad please don't take my star away its the only one I got, meant to say spring previous post
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/06 21:55:21 (permalink)
    Awesome. Should have done it years ago. What is PA, like one of four states that don't let you hunt in teh afternoon for spring turkey. I used to hunt/scout every morning from the first of April through May here, but due to work and three new kids the last few years, bring on the later turkey hunting hours. It's not gonna hurt the turkey population. If you couldn't get one in the spring in the morning, you won't get one in the afternoon. Yeah it's easy to pattern them and shoot them before they fly up to roost, but how would a lazy hunter know where they roost? Scout? It's about time. Amen Pa. GOOD JOB. If you're worried about the turkey flocks in your area, don't worry about the hunters shooting them, worry about the coyotes eating them. Shoot the coyotes.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/06 23:28:43 (permalink)
    Hey 09-
    I completly agree- old buck tastes just like old buck. Horns are nice but not very tasty. When we see a nice one though the last thing we think of is- tender or tough?
    I live in CT and we dont have all day Spring either- didnt know only about 4 states are this way. I do agree that in the Fall PM hunting around a roost is very productive and also wonder a bit about gross harvest but I still think weather influences the following years crop of birds more than hunting ever would.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/06 23:30:40
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/07 16:02:58 (permalink)
    I dont think it will hurt populations much either, Im in favor for now... seems like its overdue anyway. Now for sunday hunting, ohio allows that, is thier spring turkey season all day? I think thier fall season is relatively new, if im correct less than ten years
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/08 23:24:41 (permalink)
    Hey retired guy  We have been seeing a lot of great younger bucks running around our neck of the woods. Borderline legal and less than and I miss picking out a nice 6 point or 5 ya know. The quality of the harvest is very satisfying to my family. Verses the mind blowing antlers on the old uns. Personally I never care for old buck flavor maybe a kerosene marinade would help. As for the people who may shoot turkeys in a all day spring hunt from their roost after hours Im pretty certain they would do so anyhow. I remember about a dozen years back I was archery hunting on the gamelands roughly a mile south of lake erie in erie county and came across what could have been over 20 turkey carcasses all thrown in a ditch with their breast cut away. I was almost convinced this was done after hours probably even in the night for that many birds to be killed without them trying to escape. It wouldn't take much of this activity to decimate the turkey flock. So there are that sort out there. Just wish I would had seen the party responsible could have got a plate # but they were long gone. Awful to say the least !     
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/08 23:38:53 (permalink)
    We probably ought not to talk deer anymore or those guys who cant stop arguing and fighting on the other posts will show up and take over the Turkey post too. oops my bad on the deer talk
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/09 21:54:28 (permalink)
    Second the motion.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/10 09:57:57 (permalink)
    Should have to wear blaze orange if hunting afternoon/eve. esp. near cut fields for safety. Hate to see  that happen. Lost a buddy from a Bushy Tail .22 hunter in the past

crappy
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/10 12:41:14 (permalink)
    I cannot for the absolute life of me figure out how and heck people shoot people every now and again while hunting. Aside from being completley  out of touch with what they are doing and totally ignorant of basic safety issues they are also completley incompetent.
     They feed the Anti hunting movement and Anti gun folks more that anything the die hard protesters could ever accomplish. This aside from the anguish they create within the family and friends of the victim.
      All too often we later hear that they are again afield and again involved in yet another " incident". They must be held far more accountable than they presently are. There was a Post about such a HUNTER recently and it has apparently yet to be resolved in the courts. I for one say one "accident" is too many and a second demands VERY harsh prison penalties.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/11 08:13:13 (permalink)
    Totally agree ... with your post there is no way the shooter identified his, her target . I have talked with 2 survivors of these incidents, both lost an eye one has an arm that is no longer function able .  The other had shot penetrate his lung . The scariest thing for 1 fella was the shooter ran up to him with the shotgun aimed squarely at him after he was yelling and trying to crawl away. He thought he was going to be killed by a finishing blast by the offender. Pretty terrifying he said you think you would fight back but he said all that goes through your mind is trying to get to safety. I have had 1 hunter stalk my call and I was fortunate enough to see him coming in at about 4 oclock on my location. I yelled at him and he turned away. Thank God he didn't come in further behind me. Personally I feel more education on this subject should be mandatory for hunters and that stiff penalties should be facing the offender. If 1 life is spared it would be worth it.       
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/11 09:00:26 (permalink)
    09-
    You cannot teach "common sense" and those perps - like the guy running up with the shotgun at ready are simply NUTS. Surprised he didnt shoot again cause he probably didnt even know where he was at the moment.
      Classes and school cant teach  some things  these wierdos go off to another place..You can learn from a book about swimming -but ya dont know a darned thing till your  in deep water. We all had BUCK FEVER at some time.  Guess for some it blinds them or something, Clearly they go out with the Enterprise to "where no man has gone before".

BTW -- Have had my hen call "stalked" in Gobbler season twice--   Cannot write what I said, would get dotted out. Hope it had some impact. Called "shock therapy"- they got a  good dose.
       Did notice one thing- both were lousy hunters. They came in real loud and fast straight to my calls-heard them coming long before seeing them- and i'm hard of hearing.. Had no idea what they were doing, you could see how excited they were to be closing on a Turkey-scarey stuff. They thought they could just run up to a turkey in the woods and shoot it. They had all the right gear though  like camo cloths, face mask, and seat so they had thought it through beforehand-but when they heard a BIRD they lost it.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/11 09:59:18
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: All day spring turkey hunting 2011/02/11 13:44:36 (permalink)
     I was concerned about the groundhog hunters out in the afternoon & eve. They have to wear blaze orange hats but if the turkey hunters can wear all camo this can be a problem.

crappy
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: